Banc of America Securities

Add Photos

Banc of America Securities President Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

Secretive, closed-door management style

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Banc of America Securities full-time for more than a year

Pros*Salary and benefit package was generous,better than most other local employers.
*Plenty of growth opportunity should be available in this large company, though relocation would be required.
*Convenient location, easy access to major highways.

Cons*Secretive, closed-door management style, apparently from the top down
*Management team was aloof, usually behind closed doors and rarely acknowledged your presence when they walked through the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more with your employees

Bank of America Securities LLC/Merrill Lynch

Trader (Former Employee)

I worked at Banc of America Securities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent derivatives platform and brokerage arm.

ConsPurchase and consolidation with Merrill Lynch.

It was a good entry level position after college, but glad I've moved on.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Banc of America Securities

ProsThe team leaders were strong and supportive. And the comradeship between the analysts and associates was incredible. Also, I think we had one of the best Quantitative Support teams in the business.

ConsBeyond the individual team leadership, there was practically none. No clear direction for the company or the business units. Senior executives were absent. The company handled the merger with Merrill Lynch incredibly poorly. I still understand there is animosity between the two loyalties.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to develop more of a horizontal structure. It's important for the young people (and old people) to see they have support from management and understand the goals of the company.

Good Wall St. experience Without Terrible Hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

ProsBAS gives you the same basic training as any other Investment Bank and deal flow in certain areas is very strong

ConsNot being in NY can be challenging and working within the ever changing org structure can become very frustrating over time

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice would include better feedback and provide more stable work environment by not constantly re-organizing product areas and promote better communication across geographic regions

Slow deal flow, lots of hours, but excellent learning curve.

Analyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

ProsBofA had an excellent investment banking analyst training course. The learning curve of an investment banking analyst cannot be beat, although this is true of almost any investment bank. Benefits and bonus seemed fair, given I was toward the top. Although deal flow was slow, the deals I did work on were also extremely educational.

ConsHours, hours, hours wasted on pitches that were never technically scheduled! Also many hours spent in the office simply because that was what was expected, but did not seem necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not mind working hard, but I like to see some results from the effort. I also felt there were definitely times when managers required the analyst to be at the office simply for the sake of being in the office.

Worked at BofA during the financial turmoil of 2008, as an analyst

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros- comparable to other financial institutions in analyst pay and benefits

Cons- hired way too many analysts than were jobs available
- did not communicate warnings, or information about analyst career oppportunities and where the company was headed (and did not quell negative rumors either)
- managers were confused and could not lead teams effectively under duress from above issue

Advice to Senior Management- communicate better with MDs

Top Notch

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros* Compensation
* Colleagues are some of most intelligent in the industry
* Great place to network for future opportunities
* Good deal flow
* Resume builder with experience at a bulge bracket bank

Cons* Tough work/life balance
* Not a place to work if you thrive on positive feedback
* Little to no communication with senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the opportunity and experience.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

ProsOne gets the chance to work for a big player in the field as well be in a growing company.

ConsIt is a growing company so not so much deals, plus the economy is terrible. Lost of hours so be prepared.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the hours of the employees to make them happy and keep them, or else they leave to do other jobs

Your Mileage May Vary

Tech Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

ProsSome great and talented people work here
Salary is good

ConsOffices other than the BOAT [Bank of America Tower] are pretty mediocre

Everything depends on your immediate and one level up manager, if they aren't appreciate of their workers, don't expect any recognition.....at all

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bringing in outsiders to run the company, grow talent from within, seriously, you have some really gifted people in mediocre mid management roles, seek them out!

Banc of America Securities

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Banc of America Securities

ProsThe Leveraged Finance group provided me with a rigorous and challenging experience. I learned a lot, and made some very good friends (at the analyst and at the associate level). Coming out of the analyst program, I had a solid fundamental understanding of finance and the debt side of the capital markets.

ConsCompared to friends at Morgan Stanley, Wachovia, etc., I had to be VERY secretive when I was exploring new jobs in private equity. My friends at the aforementioned firms did not - in fact, their firms offered WORKSHOPS for PE interviews (including question answering, model workshops, case study workshops, etc.). We had no such thing, and on top of that I felt like I had to be ridiculous shady about interviewing for fear of getting fired (we were mid layoffs). In the end, I however, I could confide in colleagues with whom I was close and it all worked out, but it was pretty disconcerting to have to be so secretive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer with employees about plans for the future and changes happening to the group. Also, the review process was flawed - my comments wouldn't necessarily match my "score," and it was absurd when my friends and I would compare our reviews; it was like they literally just changed the name on the review.

Worked for Banc of America Securities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banc of America Securities reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Banc of America Securities CEO Brian T. Moynihan. All 16 reviews are posted anonymously by Banc of America Securities employees.