Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
358 reviews filtered by
Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 47 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 18 reviews)

• They want you to sell wellness plans so they can take clients money (in 22 reviews)

1. Great work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, compensation on the high end of comparable roles, good mission

Cons

Change happens at a snail's pace, lots of embedded dogmas that are difficult to work around at times.

2. CSC

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

They Have Great Benefits and good hours

Cons

Not enough CSC's at that location

3. Practice Manager

Former Employee - Practice Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to deepen veterinary management experience or management in general. Has all the components: staff hiring, growth, firing; customer service; operations; finance; marketing; team work in hospital and in the region. It is now owned by Mars and they have added performance measurement to the Banfield culture. Previously they had none. This helps management hold people accountable.

Cons

If you want to work at Banfield whether as a vet tech, nurse, doctor or manager, PLEASE find someone who worked there to talk to first. It used to amaze me to see folks come in there to work and then complain about the work environment when its not a secret how Banfield operates! It is stressful. Vets must perform and see a certain no. of pets each day defined by volume of appointment. Nurses and techs need to work as a team. They are millennials and they are hard to manage. Don't waste time writing people up, because Banfield will not fire them, you're just wasting your time. It's stressful. Clients are not always nice. If they complain, just give them what they want. Banfield doesn't want anyone talking badly about it, so don't rack you brain trying to figure out what to do with complaints, just give them what they want and tell management it was for the customer. Management at regional level is not interested in your ideas, they just act like it. Don't waste your time, just do what they say and leave after you accomplish your goals.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't do any good.

5. I have been with Banfield since 1997, it has been a life change experience!

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Glendale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Glendale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Benefits are awesome, free wellness plans for a number of my pets, freedom for growth with in the company, learning, teaching hospitals, no required experience to start, we are as eager to teach as you are to learn. Mars Mnm discounts, Petsmart store discounts. The culture is about the associate, without the associate being engaged we cannot give the quality of care we believe every pet and client deserves. I'm a Banfield lifer!

Cons

There are no cons here, unless you don't like your job, I love my job!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

6. practice manager

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment, great benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

Ran like retail, no real focus on quality and time with clients, just numbers.

Advice to Management

Spend more time looking at actual hospitals ....like really visiting asking questions.

7. Vet Tech/ CSC

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician/CSC in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician/CSC in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good team at my hospital able to work with each other and meet our manager's demands.

Cons

Our management was made up of sales associates from retail stores. None knew how vet med worked and how hard it was to keep up with the over-booked appointments and surgeries. Even when it was brought to their attention, the team member was brushed off as being not efficient enough. It was passed onto the teams fault because we were not able to meet quota of $$$ for the day and pets seen.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your techs and csc, when you have no idea what the process is like, you have no place blaming the team for your miscalculations in clients patience. Ask the team to help schedule the day around appointment times and surgery times. It seems like hospital managers don't care for the pets well being, just the $$. The owners can also sense that.

8. Pet Nurse

Former Employee - Pet Nurse in Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Nurse in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great dental, holidays and PTO, training, raises were timely, production, friendly DVM's and coworkers, cross training.

Cons

Worked at three chartered locations all of which were owned by the same doctor. Focus was often times about sales numbers and production rather than the patient or client but it is a full service hospital and the notion is that all patients be treated with the most available tests and medication. Poor pay for the amount of work required. Often times the hospital managers were under qualified for their position. Very tight nit and gossipy peers as you will often times be in a predominantly female environment. Often times ran out of inventory and would short cut procedures, testing and treatments. This is partially due to poor management skills. No safety vaccinations offered to non DVM positions.

Advice to Management

Create a better corporate culture that can be reflected in each hospital. Really think about who you put in leadership positions. Hire more certified technicians and promote only those who show promise to higher roles this will help take the stress off of the DVM's and other technicians.

9. Fun to work for, but only decent pay.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hourly pay. Very fun if you love pets. Not too hard to earn a decent amount of paid time off.

Cons

Very long hours. You are asked to work weekends almost every week. Almost no chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better for how much they do, and how much they make for the company.

10. The beautiful culture that the practice tries to promote doesn't trickle down to hospital teams

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than 8 years)

Pros

Building relationships with families and Pet's.

Cons

Overworked and under paid for pressure placed

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees more. It's not always about numbers.

Overall a good company to work for entry level position

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Simple, easy job, with some good local management

Cons

Upper and corporate management harder to deal with, low pay, some inconsistencies in expectations, push for minimum charges to clients versus what the client may actually need

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos