Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bank of Ireland Group Chief Executive and Director; Chief Executive, Retail Financial Services Ireland (RFSI) Richie Boucher

Richie Boucher

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Supportive of your professional development. Sensitive to work-life balance.

ConsProjects can take some time to complete.

Career building.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsIn the early years of my time with bank of ireland there were plenty of opportunity for personal growth and development, but as the economic climate changed this changed also.

ConsPersonally for me the location of the IT Department where I worked did not suit as it was not on a main public transport link.

worked for BoI for 3 years

Operations Role (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Prosnone, very disappointed in work, people and organisation

Conshorrible atmosphere in the department , people gossiping about everyone, no scope for development, no talent management , management had no interest in the team, discrimination on the nationality grounds, lack of imagination and innovation
    the worse place I have worked for...

Advice to Senior Managementchange in organisational culture, leadership,mission and vision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bank of Ireland is changing for the better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, AR (US)

ProsSignificant & exciting change agenda
    Exciting times ahead for the business
    Interesting mix of new technology driving how the bank does its business
    Bank very supportive of staff doing further education & upskilling

ConsSome resisters still have influence, especially some of the longer serving staff
    Middle managers need to up their game & change management abilities

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the change agenda

Don't bother

Customer Advisor (Current Employee) Tallagh (Ireland)

ProsSome nice people in the office

ConsThey tried to introduce themselves like a really friendly company that will help you in case of confusions and will take you to the stars. It's not true- after your training no one really cares about you. There is no career opportunities and salary is VERY low. Management doesnt know as to what is going on in the office. Atmosphere is a bit stressful, they really try to push you down sometimes. I dont look forward to go there everyday

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more interested in your employees opinions.

Improving the way they do business

ProsImproving out dated and redundant processes, embracing technology, 9 - 5 hours, positive atmosphere.

ConsProgression is about time served not about talent. career model seriously needs to be looked at. alot of old school dead weight in senior management

Advice to Senior Managementpromote talent not time served

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice colleagues, benefits (except for pay) are ok, studies paid for but only if qualification required for role

Consvery political. management do not seek staffs input regularly. poor communication across various levels of management to staff. poor work atmosphere.

Nice place to work

Official (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFriendly colleagues, good conditions, good benefits including canteen with reduced prices, decent social life, lack of nasty competition between staff, management were generally approachable.

ConsWork was not particularly stimulating, lots of older staff who don't contribute much and are paid better with better conditions than younger, harder working colleagues, pay not great by standards of competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotional opportunities for younger, ambitious staff

Like a public sector dinosaur, acting as Individual business units not a company.

Business Partner (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGood salary package and benefits, great pension and lots of holidays. Get to work with some really knowledgeable people

ConsUnbelievably slow to make decisions, some can literally take years. More politics than your average parliament.Way too many meetings wasting peoples time, lowers productivity . No trust in employee skill sets. Every consulting organisation in the country has been through the place on a regular basis, "writing strategy papers, advising on change, reviewing decisions. You can't make a decision without some consultant being paid too much for their uniformed opinion on it. No open communication and a culture of shoot the messenger. Executive management have no acccountability for poor decisions made. You'd be sacked in most other companies for the millions of euros of wasted company funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy, tell your staff clearly where the company needs to go. Get rid of all the consultants and trust your staff. Invest more in training them on hard skills. Make decisions faster and hold senior execs acccountable for their decisions.

Fantastic

Security Compliance Officer (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFirst if all, the environment is vey conducive and pleasant to work in. The managers, although very strict but very caring. Management try as much as possible to be very flexible with work times in order to put a balance between work and home front. The staff in Bank of Ireland are very friendly and accommodating.

ConsThere isn't any downside really, all you need to know as a staff is just try as much as possible to be hardworking , punctual, give it your all and you will be happy. And maybe in recent times, there has not been career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat I would say really is keep up the good work.

Worked for Bank of Ireland? Contribute to the Community!