Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Senior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Operations Graduate Program

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to experience different groups
Great training and continued education courses to take.

ConsThe moral of the firm and specifically in Operations was always negative. Too many groups are being outsourced.

Placement process is a little shady but if you know what you want just go after it and speak directly to the appropriate manager asap.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in place a more transparent promotion process. People are there for 10+, 20+ years and they are still analysts... doesn't make sense.

excellent

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood brand name
strong presence in UK

Consunreliable strategic thinking
not easy to move around internally

Advice to Senior Managementdont force everything to be done UK way

Summer Internship - Corporate Operations

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsPossibilities to meet with any MD in the whole bank.

ConsNot enough tasks for all interns, many were bored, I was lucky.
Corporate did not get the relocation bonus as the investment bank operations did, even if we were in the same group much of the time. Strange concept.

Interesting

I have been working at Barclays

ProsThey provide work/life balance arrangements.

ConsNot enough promotions within the firm. Needs to work on the culture of the bank. Increase bonus or base salary pools.

Great place to work

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClarity and focus. Good career growth with internal movement options

ConsOrganisational challenges, much like any large corporate.

Great culture, though organization has suffered from a morale problem in recent years.

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong support of teamwork vs. individual. Great corporate culture. Mentoring is available at strong levels. Strong recruiting culture, as well.

ConsMorale problem, uncompetitive pay, lack of organizational pride. There have been increased senior management changes in recent years. Recently, there has been a perception of the new CEO as not "getting" the IB business.

Work hard, play reasonably hard

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork life balance _is_ taken seriously. There are opportunities for travel, secondments etc, both within the UK and internationally. Very broad mix of cultures in the office. Professional and dedicated colleagues for the most part.

ConsCareer trajectory still defined to a large extent by what your boss says about you at PD and moderation sessions - which he may not tell you about. Culture of secrecy still pervades the whole remuneration/bonus area. My dept can be totally focussed on MI and internal metrics, and not see the bigger picture.

Forced to sell insurance and current accounts with fee paying packs

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLove to genuinely help general public meet their needs and requirements to make there life easy. Working and waiting for a gap to leave the branch or maybe even the company. Local job.

ConsRogue managers who want us to sell and reach targets (which are not supposed to exist under the Financial Conduct Authority) as prior to them being enforced. We ARE penalised on our PD and 1 to 1 interviews if we do not achieve our previous records. We can not use words like "Sale" or "Advice". We are encouraged to talk about the icaps on gateway even though customer does not start the conversation. we are also measured on these petty things. Anything to make life difficult so that we resign. Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management. They want you to leave so that Barclays don't have to give you redundancy in the near future. They have already tightened on paying of over time. DAILY we have to give them more than 40 minutes in overtime we can not claim - 20 minutes in the morning to attend daily meeting and can only claim overtime in the afternoon AFTER the first 20 minutes have been done free of charge. Too much pressure to "SELL". "SELL" and "SELL" even when this obviously does NOT meet the customers needs or requirement. Too much immoral money coming in. Now new overdraft charges have for the needy have actually increased. We have to lie to the most obviously losing out person that it's better for them. People are already leaving Barclays or now not using us as their main bank. Managers also too secret - don't trust us PB or other staff. Career opportunities and moves are NOT that easy really. The bad/trouble making staff tend to be able to move and even get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbide by the FCA guideline and ease off on the pressure to "SELL". Get the public (and staff) confidence back.
We all know Barclays needs the money - but so do their staff. We are humans and have a need for work/life balance. We are not third world call centre workers. Our outgoings are higher. Be brave, handle your staff fairly and equally. Don't pick on soft target only to set them as an example - that's a form of bullying. People don't speak out against you because you gang up and make life more difficult for us.

Disorganised, Political and Cheapo

Assistant Vice President IT (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsStill a good brand name

Cons1. They can initially offer decent base salary to attract you but thats it. Bonus, raise and benefit are worst I have seen. Cost cutting can be extreme. So better negotiate your base hard enough before joining to make up for the rest.
2. Highly political organisation with no meritocracy.
3. On technology side, quality of people is generally not good, esp. for an investment bank
4. On technology side, work is very messy and disorganised. Most production systems have been done in most quick and dirty fashion I have ever seen. All that legacy is very difficult to live with but also very difficult to change now. But yes there are few teams which are exception. So its best to get a clear picture work-wise like before joining the organisation.

Great company

Software Developer (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company, great people, cutting-edge business solutions, harmonious environment...

ConsNot much bonus, at least for the first year

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 433 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.