Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Senior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

lI really love it here !

Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic team and friendly people

ConsLots of hard work, but worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementWork hard

Initially it was excellent but you soon realise you are just a number and their 'values' count for nothing. T

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people in the Branches and they really want to help customers. They are trying hard under extremely difficult circumstances. They are being replaced by machine's and having to work harder each day. It was a great environment but slowly that is eroding.

ConsSenior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like. They consistently want staff to work longer and longer under extreme circumstances. Retail Banking is a dying industry and Branches will be closing even though they have denied it to the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to really look at your 'Values' and decide whether you are living by them. To often if you have an option they definitely goes against you. You need to a be a 'yes' person and do as you are told.

OK place to work to get mobile application development experience.

Assistant Vice President Developer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for less than a year

ProsI work in the technology center in Plano, TX. If you want Mobile development experience on android and iOS phone/tablet, this is the place to go. Be aware that 90% of the development staff and 100% of the management staff are Indian, as Shygan brought over his entire management team from Verizon when he got the job as CTO at Barclays, and they brought over all their friends.

ConsNo promotion potential if you work in the technology center in Plano, TX. If you have a burning need to feel that you are part of a team, this is not the place to be. The Indian management team has their favorites, and most meetings are conducted in their native language (not English). But if you are OK working solo, and you are agressive enough to get your questions answered so you can do your job, the mobile dev experience will help you move up in terms of your career path with another company. Also, be aware that the CTO Shygan recently departed, and their are rumors that the US tech center may be shut down by the parent company in England.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you intend to keep the Plano Technology center open in the US, take a hard look at replacing some of the management team that Shygan brought over with a few American's. Meetings and technical discussions should be conducted in English, and time allowed for translation to those team members who may not have as good an understanding of English. Conducting technical meetings in another language makes it hard for those non-Indian team members to participate and to do their jobs.

goof place to work

I have been working at Barclays

Proslots of opportunities and constant changes

Consold systems and constant changes

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsLess demanding and Generous leave policy (30 annual leaves + sick leave). People agenda, Recommend for people looking for retired lifestyle

ConsLow on values and talent. Lack of responsibility flows from the top. Projects get delayed every time and no one is responsible. Slow paced. Frequent changes at management level which reflects in regular changes to vision and strategy. This is not the place for ambitious people it could be very frustrating. Terrible work culture and no openness to learn from other banks. Too much importance for people agenda

Advice to Senior ManagementTake initiative, have clear vision and strategy, lead from the front, recognize talent and give importance to genuine contribution, veterans suck

On-going redundancies at Barclays seriously affecting morale

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople at the firm are generally cooperative and helpful.

ConsNo job security due to current focus on cutting costs and shifting staff headcounts to offshore centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to better manage budgets and costs without excessive job cuts. Offshoring has its limits will directly affect the company's reputation and overall competitiveness.

A horrendous place to work, both professionally and personally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros[Depending on your role] you can be reasonably well-paid (caveat: if your management chain wants you to be - see cons)

Cons1. Total absence of senior-level leadership, none.
2. Seemingly no collaboration between senior managers - often blatant hostility. As a result more junior team members have to force cooperation and results from other teams without senior management buy-in and often will be openly blocked.
3. The culture at Barclays is driven by job retention, earnings, and fear of exposure among the senior executives, meaning that cronyism, patronage, and bias is rampant.
4. Ability, impact, and quality of work is irrelevant. All that matters is how your management decides your face fits during the notorious consistency meetings.
5. If your face doesn't fit you can expect to be managed out (by lack of patronage, zero career development support, slashed bonus).
6. Bullying is pandemic and brutal - and can be shockingly open. Instances of whistleblowing being openly discouraged and warned against by senior managers. HR not trusted.
7. Staff dissatisfaction and turnover is massive - everyone in my team, and many others who I worked closely with, were looking for jobs elsewhere all the time. We celebrated those who succeeded.
8. Air of total depression among middle management (B5-B7).
9. Everyone acknowledges the total stagnation which has come about through the impenetrable defensiveness and politics within the business - so many good ideas and beneficial strategic decisions are blocked due to senior politics and personalities, along with constant 'playing with the numbers' to twist reports to meet the desired conclusion, even if factually untrue.

Advice to Senior Management1. Lead. Do some work - actually engage with each other professionally, agree on strategic issues and create conditions where your respective teams can then collaborate and execute, without having to spend months arguing over what each other's managers want.
2. Have a look at the cons and decide firstly whether you think they can be fixed - then whether you want them fixed.

Pathetic!!!!

I have been working at Barclays

ProsNo pros at all. You will learn how to survive thats it.

ConsNo vision. Management doesnt value talent. They are all self centered with no appreciation for humans. Its only about cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome human!

Poor management

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Proswork from home capability... when you're sick

Consmanagement, hours, pay, terrible bonus

Political Jungle a bank which is doing well and will improve its performance as strong long term strategy in place

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood solid bank, numerous business areas to work in (if you get the chance), people especially at junior levels friendly, most managers are positive (mid level), International reputation,

ConsVirtually impossible to move across business areas e.g. business to wealth etc, salary bands very unclear, face needs to fit to progress, cost saving tends to massively impact low to mid level grades and very rarely touches senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values rather than hiding behind them

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 433 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.