Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work environment, good career growth opportunities, brand name, values based, good exposure based on your profile

Assistant Manager - Global Business Transformation (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsEmployee concerned, good career growth for hard workers & good paying organization

ConsCan't recollect any - none

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee recognition should be improved

Very busy times with a lot of technical change delivery

I T (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty to get involved in with good technical innovation and a friendly working environment. Performance management driven with staff reward based on performance. Good set of ethical values for a financial institution.

ConsPoor project management and team silos. Too much red tape and brick walls are put in your way to hinder getting the job done rather than working as an extended team.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise the good people and practices.

Corporate VP Front Office

ProsGood benefits and career prospects. Below market average pay. Good culture and peer support. Continuous professional development supported and encouraged.

ConsHierarchical. Can be political and internally focussed. Very heavy governance and compliance requirements. Numerous reputation and legacy issues remain unresolved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great! however was cut short due to company budget/job cuts!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsREAL worklife balance and committed to employee's welfare!

ConsNothing really minus the budget/job cuts!

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place to start a career in finance

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsInvestment banking at Barclays provides a great learning experience for college graduates.

ConsCompensation is never above the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance could improve if not the compensation, early promotions could help to retain talent

Performance Oriented Culture

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsBarclays gives a very good base salary and comprehensive benefits. There is free medical coverage and some dental coverage. A transportation allowance is also given.

ConsThere is a lack of cohesiveness in the corporate culture. Business groups are rather siloed and there is a lack of cooperation between them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch can be done to improve the corporate culture to breed a sense of togetherness and trust in the company.

A good place to work if your face fits or if you don't want to develop your career.

ProsA steady work environment with some really good people. Benefits are reasonable with an excellent pension. A great name to have on your CV as people recognise that if you can work at Barclays you can work anywhere.

ConsCareer advancement depends more on who you drink with than your ability. The importance of company values is emphasised by senior management but their behaviour does not display them. Prospects for career development are very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop measuring success by revenue... Measure profit. Don't just talk about values, display them.

Head of Latin American Interest Rate and FX Valuations

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou're pretty much left alone to direct your own career

ConsExtremely limited opportunities within the firm. Can't keep its name out of the news

Good package if you are a strong performer, but you have to give up your personal life to get it

Vice President - Risk (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic, fast paced, challenging, lots of scope to move around

ConsConstant threat of redundancy, extremely long hours, leadership levels have excessive amounts of politics and in fighting which gets in the way of them achieving the new vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a role model for the values rather than delegating down to others

Trying to improve but struggling to get passed its silo-ed mentality

Customer Experience Designer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWillingness to look at new ways of doing things to improve the customer offering with some bright and dedicated people

ConsSilo-ed thinking and departmental politics slow down and frustrate the ability to make a difference with new ideas and ways of working

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ensure departments are working and collaborating on shared objectives that advance the customer proposition and avoid silo-ed behaviours

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!