Barclays Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Time to leave barcap

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a good place to work with smart people, although it went nose down after the libor news

Cons

The entire place git Really messed up

It got slowly worse

Former Employee - Counter Manager  in  Chippenham, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Counter Manager in Chippenham, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I loved it at first. I worked hard and was rewarded for the hard work. It was wonderful to get profit sharing each year and also a Christmas bonus.

Cons

As time went on, everything changed. The rewards were harder and harder to get. When my Mum died I had to take unpaid leave. The perks, few and far between

Go and work in the branches, think about what the staff actually do, the top management wouldn't get bonuses at all if it weren't for their hard work

Demotivating and uninspiring

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President IT  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President IT in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Barclays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company has a lot of good people working internally. Great skillsets and good personalities, talented as well. Great place to hang out at if you don't like doing much work or accomplishing much of anything. Pay is decent, but below market rate for location.

Cons

Lack of ability to get anything done. Everything is rule by committee and unless you're Director level or above, no one listens to nor cares for your opinion, no matter your level of expertise. Dual-headed teams engenders competition and lack of clear direction inhibits progress. Promotion is done via good ole boys network and grading for reviews is done on a curve; one person must receive a poor grade even when undeserved. If you're not in the UK, your opinion does not matter.

Instead of playing politics, focus on listening to people and enabling success. Stop grading on a curve and start focusing on doing things, versus not rocking the boat.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career move, poor life choice

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Resources to do great equity research, decent pay and if you're in the right group, it's a meritocracy. The pay at one point was good but with all of the scandals bonuses get cut with regularity.

Cons

The HR system is abysmal, management does not care about its employees and morale could not be worse. Everyone at the company got their bonuses cut during recent scandals despite being in completely different operating groups. Furthermore, nothing ever happened to those involved, they had already left the firm. Also, the pay discrepancy between your superior and yourself is massive. For example, my former boss made over 20x my salary.

There should be fewer people in management who care only about themselves

Culturally lacking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good locations for offices and staff benefits are pretty standard for the banking industry; most staff are competent and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Management are lacking in moral fibre - caring more about their own bonus than about their staff and the people around them. Minimal flexible working and offices and working practices are dated.

Listen to your staff more and give them the autonomy to address the problems without constant second guessing; invest in technology.

Lay offs

Former Employee - Mobile Developer  in  Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Mobile Developer in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Barclays as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good colleagues, good work life balance

Cons

Bureaucratic style, No growth, No contract to full time chance, Layoffs without warning and with no consideration for work performance, Not e-verified, will not do STEM extension if you need it

Stop hiring for no reason if you cant keep the employees you have or if you are not equipped to handle visa requirements.

Head of Latin American Interest Rate and FX Valuations

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're pretty much left alone to direct your own career

Cons

Extremely limited opportunities within the firm. Can't keep its name out of the news

Truly inspirational and groundbreaking.

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

The team is a major motivation, the benefits package which barclays provide is also outstanding

Cons

Some of the targets are out of reach as they set by colleagues who do not work in that particular sector, thus not understanding the challenges we face on a daily basis

Take time to understand your staff and the way they work. Dont just look at black and white figures, they do not describe an individual

Good training & a well oiled machine

Former Employee - Graduate Analyst  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Adequate remuneration, excellent hygiene factors (offices), good training and good trainers and they did actually spend a lot of time on the "culture change"/"values" change.
    I was also very impressed with the clarity of the organisational structure and responsibilities. I was always clear what to do and who to deliver results to and was confident when handing over to other team.

Cons

Little or no opportunities outside of London (1CP), average bonus payments (as % of base).

Don't worry so much about the media impression, continue to drive meritocracy and create more opportunity in regional hubs.

Top bank undergoing restructure.

Current Employee - Quant Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quant Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great history and great staff. Could be great again if restructure is done correctly.

Cons

Lost a lot of good people during the current restructure.

Get on with the restructure and reduce uncertainty.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!