Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Bechtel Chairman Riley P. Bechtel

Riley P. Bechtel

Pros:
  • "9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a"
    in 14 reviews
  • "multicultural, exposure to different work environment, get to learn a lot"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment"
    in 16 reviews
  • "no work life balance, over work you"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bechtel will move fast if you give your best

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

ProsBechtel is a company that has the capability to move fast if leadership recognizes skill sets that will contribute to the long term future of the company. There are also many opportunities to move into other areas of interest if available and onto other units within the business.

ConsAs a relatively new starter with the business you may be left to your own devices to a large degree and you may need to actively seek consultation with leadership and peers to define and scope out your role.

too many processes unfollowed

Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee)

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSize of projects, global mobility, training, salary

ConsPoor leadership, longevity of staff, beauracratic

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people - charge your upper and mid-management to be leaders rather than just being managers. Don't use the processes and procedures as a selling point and then allow for non-compliance.

Summer Intern

Sumer Intern (Former Employee)
Worsley

I worked at Bechtel part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat People, really helpful work environment.

ConsNone that come to mind really

Exciting adventure in a team environment where no two days are alike or no two assignments are alike

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsExcellent benefits and global oppurtunities to work in many different fields of engineering procurement or construction. Meet and work with people from many different countries and cultures.

ConsVery large company that sometimes has slow processes due to bureaucracy and multiple levels of management. Not being connected to the right people might slow career development.

One of the best employers for your first job

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-great salary, benefits, profit sharing etc.
-great offices, resources, equipment, training, employees, opportunities etc.
-largest EPCM projects in the world

Cons-if you have moral objections to negative environmental impact through large scale industrial development and American political interests in world world affairs working for Bechtel presents a conflict of interest
-very political corporate culture: assimilation required for career advancement
-must be willing to relocate every few years
-must be willing to work in remote projects sites

Advice to Senior Management-be open to employees who want to remain in same city

Opportunity exists, but you have to work for it and know how to play the game!

Systems Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of projects and opportunity. Generally, the people are good to work with and they work hard. They pay overtime and there is plenty of it!

ConsYou need an "in" to have a real chance at success. When you get it, you have to work extremely hard to prove yourself, and it doesn't always pay off. Bechtel is rigid in its systems and methods, and they are not the most efficient or effective. This is why it is so difficult for it to keep good people who have recently joined the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to new ideas of better ways of doing things. The old way isn't the only way.

Good company

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsWell organized company, have more than 100 years of procedures.

Good ethics background.

Good for those ones who like to travel a lot. Every project is other city, country or continent.

Family can work in the same company (it is good when you work in projects).

ConsCompany organization, in despite that the money comes from the development of project, it is a vertical organization, where the living together between a project and a corporate organization is hard. It moves slowly and there is no bias to innovation.

As per the innovation is not one of their values, promotions are based on years on experience rather than results.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to rejuvenate the organization, nowadays experience is still a key factor but a bit of innovation in the technical and business areas are mandatory to survive.

I recommend to hire and keep into their lines well trained personnel, 100 years of experience is not enough, younger management personnel need to lead the next 100 years of the Company.

Compared to other Companies...

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsI've read so many negative reviews from other companies on glassdoor.com and it compelled me to write a gratuitous review on Bechtel.

I am young professional that has been in the "working world" since 2010. I don't know if Bechtel is where I want to be for the rest of my life, but what I do know is the position my life is in at this very moment is because of this company. I am able to pay my bills, travel, live comfortably, and be relatively stress free. I've received a yearly raise since I've worked here, multiple awards accompanied with gift cards up to $500 that you can use just about anywhere, I get every other Friday off, Flex-hours Monday - Friday, great people to work with, casual Fridays, relaxed work environment, and did I mention I receive a holiday bonus every year?

I was able to travel to Washington D.C. this year to go to a young professional’s conference. Everything was paid for by the company.

Not only that, but if ever I have an issue, I am able to talk to my supervisor without feeling intimated. I am able to take vacation time anytime I need it.

Do I have to work overtime some days? Yes. But not every week or everyday.

The company culture is that of a family. I can't speak for other departments, or units of Bechtel, but I am thankful, at my age, to be a part of a company that allows me to put my degree to excellent use as well as let me live my life.

ConsLike I said, I am not sure how far I can go with Bechtel, but for the time being I have no complaints. And if I did, it would only be with certain individuals and not the company itself.

Struggling

Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

ProsComparatively high salary, nice benefit, life/work balance. Sweat 80/9.

ConsToo many managers and controls are making every decision-making slow and often things fall into inefficiency. Organization is definitely top-heavy structure. Favoritism and politics in the massive bureaucracy is over employees who is not favored by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look around and figure out who is really leading the works.

A former long-term employee now with some external perspective...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteresting work on some of the world's most important projects
Widely respected name in the construction industry
You feel you're doing important work with mostly talented people

ConsLack of respect for everyone outside of the most senior managers (PVPs and above with a few young LDP's who have family connections thrown in). Everyone else is treated like they can be repeatedly squeezed on benefits, salary, bonuses, and crappy assignments, because "hey you work for the greatest construction company in the world!"

No longer an implicit culture of "give and take", where I as a worker will put in extra hours and travel over the weekend/holiday missing important family events, living away from home, etc., because my team and manager respect me and will help me through the rough patches of work slowdowns. It's become of matter of take, take, take, and when you pathetically ask for a little decency and understanding in return you're reminded that it's a job stupid, not a work family like you thought.

There's a lot of heartache coming down the pipe for many extremely talented and hardworking people as the Power GBU follows downturns in work for Civil, M&M, and BSSI. It makes me sad because I really did love working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think the current management, including the "uber" CEO/COO/President really cares what anyone else has by way of suggestions. He's been lucky to preside over some recordbreaking profits over the past few years and has clearly solidified himself as the Wizard who can surround himself with those, ahem, "leaders" sharing his maximum short-term profits vision.

My only hope is that the next generation of Bechtel, who by all accounts has been a hardworking, decent, and much respected individual in his quick rise through the organization, will soon take over and herald a return to a company culture like that established by his grandfather and those who came before him. By the way, RPB is no longer the CEO; should change this in Glassdoor before you ask people to approve of his performance!

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bechtel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bechtel CEO Riley P. Bechtel. All 293 reviews are posted anonymously by Bechtel employees.