Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated 28 September 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 113 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 25 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

You get to face and deal with new challenges everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

The company has a lot to offer. You get to learn new things every day and have the ability to get promoted when being recognized. Everyone is so nice and always willing to help one another.

Cons

Not enough employees to do what is expected.

Treat each other the way you want to be treated.

operations

Current Employee - Operation Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Operation Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

pay, benefits , work policy

Cons

lack of growth, no new stoes in pittsburgh

Fast-paced, variable work. High expectations and scrambled management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Luis Obispo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Hiring: Easy to get hired. I had little work experience and applied to 25 simple jobs in my area. This was the only interview I got. Also no drug testing to get hired.
    - Training: BBB provides training classes for lots of topics and listens when you say you want training in a certain area. Also, lots of silly corporation-wide instructional videos to give you an occasional break from the hustle and bustle.
    - Variety: During my time at BBB, I worked the floor, replenishment, and occasionally in receiving. I appreciated it because it allowed me to better understand the system as a whole and because it kept work fresh.
    - Pass the buck: this phrase is an encouragement to call for a manager when you aren't able to help a customer, in any situation. Then you stick around, and learn how the manager handles the question/situation. Satisfaction guarantee makes returns simple (customers do abuse it). It is a good system to immerse a new employee into the job.
    - Good managers were usually very helpful and rewarding to work with.
    - Availability: Usually BBB was very accommodating to my variable student/2nd job life schedule. Getting shifts covered is usually not too difficult, having so many part time employees. They have a few rules such as must be available one weekend day.

Cons

- Corporate whip: secret shoppers, visits from the higher ups, pleasing corporate isn't always easy or the best thing to do for the customers/store
    - Customer Service Standards: this could be viewed as a plus, but greeting every single customer who walks by in the store and suggesting the same add-on to every customer at the checkout can feel like a bit much in combination with the work load. Also cleaning the bathrooms was not looked forward to.
    - Fast pace, sometimes in circles: it's always go, go, go at BBB. This is how some people like to work. I prefer to set things up for efficiency and then attack, and this is not how the store operates. Old technology is constantly malfunctioning. Computer system is terrible; difficult to navigate, not concise, not always correct. Lack of tools. Things are stored unsafely both in stock rooms, and sometimes sales floor fixtures are questionable.
    Scheduling: Was pressured to stay later than the schedule indicated many times, many late nights. Mistakes were made by both sides, but pressure was usually on me to get a shift covered either way. Another time when I submitted my two weeks notice, the message got lost by management, so it was not properly processed. After the mix up, I waited for the promised call for paperwork completion for 4 weeks. When I came in person to check on the processing, my locker belongings had been thrown away, except for my watch left on the break table, all this with no phone call or anything. I should have known this kinda thing might happen...

Upgrade the computer system ASAP. Find a more organized, cleaner, and safer way to organize the stockrooms. Avoid unrealistic expectations to keep employees happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, awesome products

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is fair and the ones who deserve the hours get them

Cons

It's located in west little rock

Keep up the good work TJ and Sue and Courtney

They care a lot about their customers...not so much their employees.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Buena Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Buena Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job duties not challenging, flexible schedule, and 20% employee discount. Great variety of merchandise and typically a laid back working environment. Fellow co-workers are usually helpful.

Cons

Management decisions not cohesive among managers, never complete employee training or follow up with new hires, senior level management and corporate management could care less about their employees needs. District and corporate managers come off very phony, not one bit genuine. NO incentives whatsoever for meeting sales/promotion goals. You will end up feeling undervalued and overworked after some time (it is retail after all).

Clear/concise communication is KEY to executing successful management strategy. Collectively agree upon the same policies/procedures and share the SAME information among employees and fellow co-workers. Doing so will avoid confrontation, misunderstandings, and initiate a more evident open-door policy. Value and recognize employees for their accomplishments, big or small. You will experience less employee turnover and enhance company culture.

Love the company, not enough hours and pay.

Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service
    Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company makes you feel like family.
    The associate discount at all stores and incentives.
    Very good with schedules.

Cons

Not enough hours.
    Not enough pay for the hard work you do.
    Not enough employees to help out the store.

Working at Bed Bath and Beyond

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

Pros

- You get close with some of your coworkers
    - Fun environment

Cons

-The computer systems are from the 1990's
    -Very slim chances for promotion.
    -Slow working staff

Keep up with the yearly reviews, don't keep staff after hours, be more organized

long hours but great customers

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for less than a year

Pros

They are almost always begging for employees to stay due to low staff.

Cons

This job was too time consuming. The pay was good but what fun is having money if your at work all the time?

Hire enough people that way you dont have to beg people to stay an extra four hours.

Great Friendly place with co workers and awsome customers.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You help make business decisions on what products our customers need to make it our "Neighborhood Store"

Cons

Not enough hours given to make the store run effectively. Workload is non stop. It's physically , mentally and a challenge everyday. It's a hard retail job.

I know its not the first time Distric Level employees heard the "Con" comments made. It's time to help out the store level associates that make this a once great company again.

BBB

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Easy schedule. Many different locations.

Cons

Long hours for the managers.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!