Best Buy

5,610 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,762 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

best job I've had

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate

Pros

upbeat environment. learn a lot and get lots of perks compared to most non commission based companies. employees who do their job well get rewarded very often and constant recognition. pay raises and promotions happen pretty often.

Cons

the schedule requirements for full time employees is ridiculous. nobody has a set schedule, which makes juggling another job or a decent personal life pretty hectic and being required to work every weekend for full-time employees isn't worth it for someone with a family.

having easier to follow schedule requirements, which allow full time employees to have a set schedule would make this job perfect.

Great First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

Pros

Flexible hours, employee discount, and proper training.

Cons

I only worked part time and had no cons while working here.

It was a good first job.

Current Employee - Inventory Associate  in  Federal Way, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Federal Way, WA (US)

Pros

The co-workers were honestly the best part of the experience, for me personally. The time-off policies, since I was part-time, was great for me.

Cons

The management was constantly changing and I've had to reconfigure myself to meet the expectations of multiple leaders which I believe was a con but also a pro because it showed versatility.

Include employee suggestions and engage them, they are the reason the stores runs because they provide the customer with the services they expect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HEY, IT'S RETAIL

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great culture and rewarding if you put in the work.

Cons

Work-life balance is given up in order to suite the needs of the business.
    Reorgs or restructures occur annually with an Operating Model change with new leadership
    Opening Thanksgiving Day at 5pm?

Great College Job!

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate  in  Murray, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Murray, UT (US)

Pros

Flexible with school schedules and better compensation than many other retail stores.

Cons

They recently cut down on management positions which is the reason why I decided not to continue with the company.

Be more selective when hiring holiday workers. I frequently trained employees that were a far greater cost to the company than help.

An educational experience, in politics, business acumen, people skills, fun when smooth, horrible at holiday

Pros

Great pay at the management levels, got an opportunity to work with leaders who made a lasting impression on my career ...

Cons

Very political environment, accountability was incosistent. You could be let go for a simple policy violation, or you could get away with murder because of your relationships. Our HR managers with the exception of two I've met in my time their are extremely unethical and hilariously walk both sides of the line in any difficult situation

Hold leaders accountable to hear feedback, truthfully, learn from their criticisms, and actively listen. Please promote people for their qualifications, not because they meet a quota, deal with under-performance evenly, not on a basis of who will put up less of a legal battle.

I absolutely love my store, the best job I've ever had. Not a career (unless sought after), but a great job.

Current Employee - Microsoft Consultant
    Current Employee - Microsoft Consultant

Pros

The store I work at is just a joy to be a part of. We have more fun than i think any other store does. We have contests all the time and we have store activities outside of the workplace all the time. Not only do we just have a great time, but we perform as a team and do well. Win and lose as a team. I love my department and wouldn't want to work anywhere else at the moment. I bring quite a bit to the table with 28-32 apps a month. Which is way above average. I've been presented an opportunity to coach and train new employees after only working there for 4 months. I got a promotion last month and a pay raise, based off performance and leadership. Very quick turn around as long as you are committed and performing to your best abilities.

Cons

Too many people walk around with a look on their face like somebody stole their puppy. I try to bring a joy to my store and create an atmosphere that is enjoyable not only for the customer, but the fellow coworker as well. Some people have life stuff going on, i understand that. But we need to have fun. We still do tons of fun stuff all the time. I hate how the management and leadership is all about numbers and you pretty much have to sell the paint off the wall. They say its not high pressure but it is. You have to meet rev and gsp goals as well as other things. BUT if you display and put the behaviors learned in training there isn't any problem meeting those goals.

Focus less on number. I realize it's a business, so money matters. But if you focus more on incorporating the behaviors into our daily routines, your numbers will arise.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL (US)

Pros

Best buy makes sure that their employees are trained properly, fun atmosphere, get to see new technology as it's coming out.

Cons

Some positions are only part time so it may be hard to get more hours, customers can be grouchy, hours may not be static.

Work hard while having fun.

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate  in  Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL (US)

Pros

Good work environment and great management.

Cons

Hours were not always available.

Leadership

Solid, but dynamic

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

Fun environment
    people are great
    Company is stable
    Great Managers make this a amazing place to work

Cons

retail
    constant changes
    reo-orgs
    annual review process
    training, it seems to be more of a job where you either can do it or you just cant.

employee bonus incentive

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!