Best Buy Reviews

5,981 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,954 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 753 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 321 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 202 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 186 reviews)

More Highlights

Best buy review

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great knowledge of technology and great discount. Management can vary but have always have had a pleasant experience with them. They track sales and goals but will not affect your employment status if not met. Talk to every customer and sell them what you need and you will enjoy this job very much.

Cons

Dealing with the customers that are incompetent. Closing duties are usually a pain we must down stock all products as opposed to the inventory team.

Always keep an eye out for your employees, they will work hard if respected. Morale drives sales!

Experience depends on management

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Porter Ranch, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Porter Ranch, CA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team was excellent at the store I worked at. We were considered a test store so many of the corporate marketing and sales strategies were tried at our store which made the environment open to new ideas and a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Promotions are tough, basically have to wait till someone either gets fired, gets promoted, or move to another store to get a promotion. As a con, that is standard though

Good shop

Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at Best Buy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Wide variety of products on offer
    Price match with many established large online sellers
    Knowledgeable staff
    Regular good discounted price offers
    Many near locations throughout USA
    Good optional extra warranty for Ipads/Macbooks for one time total replacement

Cons

Gets crazy around Black Fridays lol

Hire more Full-time staff that will stay around for most of the day rather than being switched from one part-timer to another during busy shift changes, as that will allow them to have more time with customers for a successful sale with less hand overs to the next shift that have to read the paperwork before speaking to the customer to know what they are looking to buy/inquire about?

* I really liked working with my fellow colleagues as we all brought our own experiences & skills to share to help each other which is what a good job is all about! *

Great

Current Employee - Magnolia Systems Designer in Rockville, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Magnolia Systems Designer in Rockville, MD (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere, pay, equipment. The management is great

Cons

Hours can be rough at times

Hands off magnolia design centers

Geek Squad employee

Former Employee - Geek Squad Agent
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Agent

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working conditions, software used to diagnose viral infections and other issues made it easy to multitask, good coworkers.

Cons

Selling is 80% of your job, while the other 20% are the actual computer repairs.

Keep the people dedicated to repairs actually dedicated to repairing and not selling packages.

It is going pretty well so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the accommodations are probably the best part of working at best buy since you get additional discounts on top of your employee discount

Cons

The place is nice and fun to work at so i have nothing wrong with working there so far plus I've worked there for less than a month so I haven't gotten a great lot of time to have any cons

keep it up

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Milton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers and customers and also the discounts!

Cons

scheduling was harsh, also feels like your'e a maid more then a sales associate. Best Buy milks you; they make alot of money off of you yet compensation is miniscule.

give more credit to people who are holding the store up with their sales.

Home office specialist

Former Employee - PC Home Office Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - PC Home Office Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Lots of sales orientated departmental goals to meet.

Cons

Tough to get salary raises, since it's not commission based

Deputy CIA Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great enviroment for development, career growth and new opportunities! I have been with the company for over 8 years and am still going.

Cons

Decline in leadership structure, workloads have increased due to newer operating model. Would like to have more leadership present.

NA

Great

Current Employee - Mobile Install Tech Lead in Denton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mobile Install Tech Lead in Denton, TX (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

worked there for 7 years and of course had its ups and down but loved it and that's why i stayed for so long. Pay is good, and competitive in the retail job realm. You get bonuses on numbers which is great, gives good motivation and the employee discount is amazing. Culture is great and has great tools for you to expand your knowledge and is a great tool for new employees even has comedy in something that can be so boring to anyone. If your a motivated individual there is def. room for advancement at least in my store which was amazing, i saw people promoted left and right way more than allot of other stores and opportunities available to people willing to take the responsibility, nothing was handed to you, you had to earn it. Management and the GM are great at this store and I've missed it ever since i left.

Cons

No cons, i loved best-buy up until my last day and still do, hope i can work there again someday part time.

I've never had a problem with management, i did my job without issues and things went smoothly, and always had support from management and got along famously even and multiple stores, if such issues arises was always dealt with.