Best Buy

6,330 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,147 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Store Manager of Operations/ Sales Support Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Operations in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, competitive pay, ability to drill down into business results. Monthly and Quarterly bonus potential. Training opportunities. Rapid pace for change. Disengaged people will not linger. Employeee discount/ accomodations.

Cons

System challenges. Work life balance is a joke around the holidays. Long days, continue to do more with less in light of recent operational cuts. Victories rarely celebrated, amid constant pressure to drive metrics. Intense pressure to sell Geek Squad services, Protection plans, and open credit cards.

Store hardware/systems are dated and don't work as intended, must upgrade here to keep pace with the direction we are being asked to take the business.

Great place to work but has its many downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good startng pay but not nearly enough for the amount work and things you have to put up with.
    Can be fairly reasonable at scheduling but will try to work you as much as possible.

Cons

Really bad to post schedules and notify of any changes made
    Hard to move up or change departments

Get better more training reasonable managers

Geek Squad - Great experience so far

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Wheaton, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Wheaton, MD (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team work, benefits, learning opportunities and resources.

Cons

Sometimes too sales related. Customer service is not in computer repair is not for people who are not cut for it.

Better supervision and overall strategy to get consultation agents knowledge will help.

Great co-workers, latest technologies, can potentially have poor management.

Former Employee - Lead Mobile Electronics Specialist/Customer Assistant
    Former Employee - Lead Mobile Electronics Specialist/Customer Assistant

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my co-workers. Absolutely loved the products I sold (in mobile electronics) and was cross trained in all departments. Job was pretty easy, and management kept off your butt if you came in on time and did your job well. Spent lots of time with co-workers outside of work, and developed some excellent lasting friendships.

Cons

Pushes you to sell protection plans, credit cards, etc. I'm not into selling people what they don't want or need. Management cycled a bit while I was there for a little over 4 years. Also, this should be a temporary high school/college job. You'll have little room to grow without a good 2 or 4 year degree in business management.

Fast paced and always changing

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

A lot of the people here are young, tech savvy students, who like to sell. Managers are flexible with scheduling. Fun to go to work.

Cons

A lot of company restructures. Always having to sell more services than anything else. No room for moving up the ladder.

Have one on ones with each employee to see if they are truly happy with their current position. A lot of the times, employees want to work their way up the ladder and there isnt much room for upward movement.

Pretty good, could be better

Current Employee - Best Buy
    Current Employee - Best Buy

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, pay good for high schoolers,

Cons

The "leads" dont really do much, take away breaks closer to holiday season, BLACK FRIDAY.

understand that people don't want to sign up for your card. And don't be upset if we cant sell it at high levels constantly

Great company with an ever expanding mind set.

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constantly facing new challenges with changing product and keeping a leg up on the current market and whats in as far as product is concerned.

Cons

Lack of training for more technical aspects, management focus is mainly on sales rather than the full spectrum of services.

Take it back to the basics, how we use to run, with training our sales staff with the technical knowledge to conquer the more difficult customers, don't let the customers school our employees.

It was good

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Elkridge, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Elkridge, MD (US)

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Was a fun team environment

Cons

Schedule times vary, must work holidays

Great Company

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Good experience, Flexible Schedule, good discount

Cons

Management, and pay, work you to the bone

pay more

Best Buy Computer Consultant

Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experience you have at Best Buy is based entirely on your management and your team. If your management invests in you then you succeed. If you succeed, then they succeed. Furthermore, if your team knows when and how to have fun and be professional, then you're in for a good time. I've heard horror stories about bad experiences working in the same role at other stores, but my team is smart, eager to help people first, and know what's appropriate and not appropriate to say and do on the sales floor. It's made the job more than a job but something I am extremely proud to talk about to others.

Cons

A problem that occurs on occasion is the mentality and behavior of the upper management. I've been been introduced to many executive and higher management staff above my store management, and every time I take the opportunity to be myself and sell my brand. My mind is always along the mind of solving people's problems by helping them with their tech needs. It's not that I get a feeling that they are against this way of doing things, but they are definitely more interested in the companies return on investment.

Focus on the people and the customer experience in a bigger way. Best Buy can be a happy memory for everyone if you build the atmosphere to better suit the needs of the customer, and then build the team and the team's strategy around the experience first.