Best Buy

3.3 5,363 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,646 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

5,363 Employee Reviews

Good Company for a first Job

PCHO Lead (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsLearning how to conduct sales, manage client systems, and perform analysis. This was a perfect first job for someone interested in the field of technology with a sales slant.

ConsOverbearing management, ineffective scheduling, lack of ability to advance in the company.

Great company to develop at

Senior Market Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDevelopment of internal talent.
    Challenging work with fun products.
    Great 401k, time off and health benefits for full time employees.
    World class short term bonus system, even for part time employees.

ConsThe company is very leadership top heavy making innovation hard. New employee training at the store level is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating so many competing priorities for people to go after. Continue the investment in development of employees and creating a fun workplace.

Home Theater Associate

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee) Waterford, MI (US)

ProsA lot of great people to work with, never ending supply of new technology to learn, had a good discount on merchandise.

ConsVery little upward mobility, they would be willing to let you switch departments and learn more but not willing to let you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you value good employees they will work very had as long as you come through on promises made. Stop telling employees if they do certain things they will be promoted. If you can't or won't come through for your employees when they do what you ask of them, they lose a lot of faith in you and the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Altoona, PA (US)

Prosnone everything is good for now

Consnone everything is good for now

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great Experience

ProsManagement listened well and was very understanding. Good culture there between all employees. The discount was the best part of the job. Great entry level sales position, it taught me many different selling skills.

ConsCustomers were extremely annoying and were very degrading to employees for no real reason. The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting positions at random and come up with a better strategy

ProsGreat leadership, the company is going in the right direction. Great work life balance, great bonus program.

ConsCulture still has a way to go, the company has trouble moving at the speed of change needed to execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has a great direction but the basic inferstructure does not support the management goals and the speed and which we need to run for the retail world. By the time we get anything done with IT it is outdated and not of the use that it was when requested.

My experience at best buy and been a very rewarding one, I have grown professionally and personally.

ProsA few pros of working with this awesome company would be one, your learning never stops, as much as you want to learn they will provide the tools for you. The have e-learning, & coaching.

ConsMeeting all your goals on time, making sure you have 100 offer rate of the best buy credit card.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice would be to communicate more, there are many times where upper management and store management are giving different orders,

Good experience

Digital Imaging Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsLively, fun to play with the gadgets, low pressure sales, ability to move around the departments and get promoted, sense of teamwork, good discount.

ConsThe managers can be overbearing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more equally

Best buy

Sales Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people to work with great discount great place to learn retail if you take the time.

ConsIts retail not for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training

My experience was good, but it depends on the store

Advanced Car Audio Installer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsI liked most of my managers, and the discount was great. I worked in the car audio install bay so I was able to mostly manage myself, which was nice. The discount, of course.

ConsMuch of the management doesn't care at all about employees as individuals, and only look at the numbers. They didn't have a good understanding of what we needed to do in my department.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!