Bio-Reference Labs

Bio-Reference Labs Chairman, President, and CEO Marc D. Grodman

Marc D. Grodman

Recommended

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs

ProsGreat potential and Family oriented.

ConsBetter compensation for those who work harder instead of equal compensation.

bio-reference night shift is not professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs

ProsRelax setting and good people

Consnot professional, constant time changes to schedule. Only work if you are desperate

Extremely competitive market

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsFreedom to run territory as your own business.

ConsLots of pressure to maintain accounts while constantly prospecting for new accounts. Crappy pay. Little resources and support.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more - you get what you pay for.

Every supervisor has a supervisor and no one communicates with each other

Phlebotomist (Former Employee)
Toms River, NJ (US)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

Prosthe location was convenient to home

ConsManagement expects you to do the work of three people and pay you minimum. Too many meetings and nothing gets accomplished

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the trenches and see what really goes on in your patient service centers. All you ever see is the dollar sign

Not a bad place to work

Lab Assistant (Former Employee)
Elmwood Park, NJ (US)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood people, friendly environment, great pay

ConsDealing with some dangerous specimens like HIV and hepetitus

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the hours

A great job opportunity to work in a laboratory environment.

Lab Aide (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership, values, flexibility and mentoring.

ConsRushes into decisions to quick, but in calm manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to mentor individuals how to perform in a lab setting and to recommend for other departments.

Former Manager

Mid Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

Prosflexible work hours and decent medical and vision plan. good dental plan. Meet some nice people and very talented individuals to develop long-term networking and friendships - mostly the lab techs and screening techs that actually do the work.

ConsPOWER STRUGGLE GALORE!!! faves even amongst uppers with lower/mid-level managers..

some departments are very territorial. Uppers quick to blame others for their mistakes but gobble up praise. Little concern for safety, federal and state regulations with some department heads. Quick to recruit like-minded managers to gang up on other managers who point out blatantly illegal practices and try to help fix them as a team. would rather feign ignorance because its convenient/cheaper than doing something right.

little to no advancement opportunities - had one upper tell me to "create a new job to advance to" but "it's not happening by the way". discourage you from leaving though. had one upper tell one of my employees "jokingly" they would give them a bad reference so they don't leave. employee came to me so shocked and disparaged I had to promise them if an interviewer called I would not let them ever speak to that upper.

don't appreciate most hard working individuals or help managers show appreciation for their employees. uppers focus on key few favorites that do whatever they want instead. more focused on saving money anywhere and pushing potential hires on you just because they'll accept "less money".

some uppers very inexperienced, very manipulative, no email etiquette and not afraid to try and embarrass you in front of others in email exchange.

major HR violations with some upper managers. not afraid to throw around some of your department's issues to other department heads before telling you because they find it entertaining. some will directly make fun of your employees right in front of them.

Advice to Senior Managementbackground check your uppers before hiring or promoting. ensure they have the proper degree and HR training and know-how of operations instead of those who can just save you the most money and trample on others

provide low/mid-level managers with the resources to give back to their staff. routinely search for rising talent amongst the bench-level workers.

train all managers on proper e-mail etiquette.

show loyalty to your staff. foster a community of TRUST. weed out those that do not practice basic good corporate values regardless of their rank.

An actually decent company, barring all the drama.

Elmwood Park, NJ (US)

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work that I do here is actually very fascinating, I'm learning a lot of new things and am actually able to apply fundamentals and concepts learned in college. The work itself is easy physically. The amount of fulfillment i get is very high considering what we do here is very important and is tangibly relevant to actual people's lives ( many people may need laboratory testing and confirmation from these tests, as you can imagine may be very important to the concerned individuals and families concerned). This can actually be a very pleasant place to work.

ConsAs previously stated in the title and in addition, this can actually be a very pleasant place to work, if the dramatics and gossip are excluded.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore effective communication may help the overall company culture, as the work itself can be pleasant, if the company culture can be a bit more professional, this place can actually be very decent.

VERY unstable SUPERIORS!!!

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsGREAT HEALTH BENEFITS AT ALMOST NO COST!! FREE LAB WORK!

Consunstable superiors, at least in my department which is the only one i could give you my thoughts. Way too much favoritism, people bringing personal issues into work, everything is just oh so horrible. My "supervisor" quit and left the building cursing, our doctor has a meeting with us blaming the staff for the instability of the supervisor and WE were the reason she quit, the next day she was in the office has if nothing happened!! the director took NO action for her actions!! If you want to suffer from anxiety and depression i recommend you work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementQUIT !

Too many Issues!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs

Pros-Benefits
-Schedule
-Easy Interview
-Met SOME nice people

Cons-Rude management
-Treats for firing
-No family time
-Issues never handled

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stop sending threats their employees to fire them. Dont over use your power as a manger. Stop talking down on us.

Worked for Bio-Reference Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bio-Reference Labs reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bio-Reference Labs CEO Marc D. Grodman. All 20 reviews are posted anonymously by Bio-Reference Labs employees.