Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs)(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge(in 12 reviews)

Biogen Idec is a great place to work!

Data Entry Coordinator (Contract) (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsManagement at Biogen Idec truly cares about the success and happiness of their employees. The company has been growing rapidly for some time due to their continued success in the MS drug market. This is a pharma company with a conscience. They are working on several drugs for Hemophilia patients that will not make them any money! There is a great work/life balance at this company and many activities to take part in that are sponsored by Biogen Idec outside of work.

ConsYou absolutely must have a master's degree to get a full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! You are changing the lives of MS Patients globally!

Professional and established corporation

Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat structured company with many different teams and departments. Treats their employees well with stock options, benefits, company parties as well as many other perks. Strong oncology department with hard working people and good leadership.

ConsLike many places, politics play a role in the type of projects that are available. Budgeting is determined by the higher ups and may not have the full input of the teams.

Great pay and amenities... completely disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a lot of free pepsi and coffee to offer. Free parties every Thursday.

ConsHowever, the management is lost and unaware of how their staff are doing and do not act on what their employees report and when things go wrong the employees get the blame. This company is highly built on contractors, easy to replace easy to blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work more closely with employees and get their hands dirty and have more trust in their employees to do their job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros- pay
    - pipeline
    - some of the best products in the market

Cons- management
    - work-life-balance
    - job security (constant fear of losing job if you do not do what management says)
    - retaliation

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long look at your 'middle' management. Many of them are great at managing up but not at actually managing people. Most do not have any past management experience before taking the job.

Good place to build skills, then move on

Manufacturing Associate IV (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsBenefits are good, very goal-oriented; no one cares how long you go for breaks, as long as you get the job done. Biogen-Idec is exemplary at picking talent at the operator level, I have worked with some very passionate and knowledgeable people whose work ethic is inspiring, and who have influenced me to become a better operator. BIogen-Idec is also a good place to start a biotech manufacturing career, due to great networking opportunities and adherence to cGMP's, which is critical to understand if you want to become a great contributor.

ConsUnfortunately, Biogen-Idec is awful at picking talent in the management level; lower performers are constantly being promoted due to politicking and back-room dealings; most promotions announcements are met with shock and groans from the operators, even through there are very, very, very few exceptions. Management is very company-oriented and not employee-oriented; members of management are not judged by their superiors in knowledge and subordinate growth but simply bowing to their demands; and it seems that the supervisors most disliked by the operators are the ones getting promoted. Communication between night and day shifts is horrendous, with constant blame game playing and finger pointing when things go wrong.

Bonuses are so-so, pay is probably slightly below average compared to other companies I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must recognize talent at the operator level and promote them accordingly; it is safe to say that the best on-floor performers have the best work ethic and possess the greatest amount of technical knowledge, which is critical in hiring effective managers and supervisors.

Decent company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBiogen Idec offers competitive pay, advancement opportunities, good benefits for employees, and they generally hire good talent.

ConsSad to see bottom line seemingly more important than employees, research, or patients.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsGreat place to work, hours, location and no stress.

ConsBeing a contractor, pay, and open space.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with whom they hire.

Contract scientist

Associate Scientist III (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsStimulating work, good employee atmosphere. Good monetary compensation.

ConsAlienation of contractors from meetings and team building activities. For contractors: unpaid sick days, holidays and time off, as well as no health insurance, parking, shuttle, or retirement benefits. Have noticed that most employees and contractors are overworked and stretched out to their limits.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude contractors more in meetings and leadership roles. Most contractors work as hard or harder than regular employees so some compensation is necessary.

They won't let me in.

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

ProsGreat work environment. Some departments make good use of people's strengths. I felt more involved, needed, respected, and valued while contracting at Biogen then I ever did any place else I've worked in 30+ years.

ConsAs a contractor I was left out of all the good things. The stock price went from $150/share to $292/share while I was there. Since I was a contractor...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw people out blindly.

Great company, well run, patient focused

Executive (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsWell paid, patient oriented, flat, lean and simple structure

ConsNot many, the executive leadership team are great as individuals but they can be dysfunctional as a group, making lots of unnecessary work layers below.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont lose the edge

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!