Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs) (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Changing from Patient Services to a Call center environment

Case Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsThe benefits are good. There is free soda, fruit on certain days, and donuts and muffins on Friday.

ConsOffice politics, micro managing, and lateral moves within the same department. I titled my review with that title because we we have never been a call center, but there are changes that will be taking place to make us just that. New management brings about new changes, and not for the better

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you know the jobs of your subordinates, just because you made it into management. 90% of the Team Leads and Supervisors have no clue on how to do things that they used to do because they are so disconnected. Wearing titles is what they are good at, and what they are good for. Knowing how to help and resolve and issue doesn't take motivational interviewing, it takes a skill set in which they are out of touch with.

poor people management skills by senior management level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbright people, patient-driven company, ethics and compliance highly valued

Conssenior management level is not very skilled in managing people and such poor expertise within senior level leads to some mistaken and highly demotivating decisions

Advice to Senior Managementplease, try to develop better people management skills as soon as possible

Biogen Idec

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsGood benefits. Recent stock increase is major benefit to those that have been there for a while. Decent pay. Overall really talented group of people working there.

Huge benefit if you are a scientist as this is one of the top Biotechs in the industry.

Overall the drugs the company makes have a huge benefit to the patients that take them. That is the best motivator is that the company's product has a positive impact in the lives of many people with MS and other debilitating diseases.

ConsIT went through massive layoffs and then we were all expected to do the same jobs, fill in all of the gaps and get paid the same. Overall not a very effective approach, except to the bottom line, which is what the overall focus is and will continue to be.
    Also if you are not best buddies with upper management your chance for promotion is extremely limited in your area. Promotion, at least in IT, was rarely merit based.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management really wants to move from a "Command and Control" mentality to having committed, dedicated employees, then make positions and promotions merit based and not based on past relationships at former companies.
    The obvious focus is the bottom line and stock holders of upper management. Call a spade a spade and just say that...almost every other company in the world does.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doing the right thing for patients and employees

ProsBiogen Idec cares about good science, treating employees well and changing the lives of the patients we serve. I am encouraged to pursue education and development. There is commitment to the community and a focus on diversity and inclusion.

ConsRecent nepotism has resulted in a less diverse leadership team.

Nice company ! Very employee friendly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsVery employee friendly
    nice team and people
    flexible

Consno cons as of now , but traveling to downtown is tough !

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance. Resources are generally available. Top notch benefits.

ConsSomewhat bureaucratic, but this is to be expected for such a big company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Dynamic company

ProsCulture keeps you happy.
    Great coworkers.
    Great benefits.
    Lots of opportunities to establish yourself.
    Excellent work/life balance.
    Great social hour.
    Flexible attitude.

ConsToo much beaurocracy.
    May be hard to advance in some departments.
    Previous management should get most of the credit for current success of drugs.
    Buildings are pretty but was it necessary since we are keeping Weston?
    Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge.
    Too many large and single layoffs, leaves us feeling insecure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Excellent company to work for.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsA very educational learning experience. I loved working here & would gladly go back agai
    Great training provided; my manager was fantastic & taught me so much about the industry. Very efficient company specific software that aids tremendously in being successful at the job.

ConsTeam spirit at the company wasn't that great. I also felt there was a good group of unfriendly people, primarily upper management, who could be a bit drab on the office environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to get more pleasantries out of those people who can't even offer a smile or reciprocate that "good morning" or "hello" when said to them.

Biogen Idec is a great place to work.

Associate Director (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsBiogen Idec has a strong culture, excellent values and really cares about the patients we serve. There are many bright people across the company most of which feel a high level of loyalty to the company and commitment to our patients. Earning potential is high, even for mid-level positions.

ConsMany departments are under resourced which results in long hours and high levels of stress. Some of the senior management team do not want to hear bad news which causes a lack of transparency. Spent considerable time and money implementing open space floor plans that do not deliver a clear benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and transparent about everything - including things that aren't going well.

biogen is an active company

Research Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Prosbiogen is an active company

Conscommute to biogen takes time

Advice to Senior Managementit is good management

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!