www.biolifeplasma.com

Updated 22 February 2015
Updated 22 February 2015
2.7

CEO

Pros
  • You get a lot of interaction with many people, and the pay is good when you are starting out of school (in 6 reviews)

• The benefits are good, in many cases better than even government benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Open some holidays and every Saturday making it difficult to have a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management decisions which make zero sense (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Advanced Senior Plasma Center Technician

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, Management is easy to get along with, many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long hours can make it hard to balance your work with your life, but once you get used to it it isn't that bad. It can be hard to get vacation when you want it/need it, but I have found that my particular managers are willing to work with you when time off is absolutely needed.

Better Places to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eau Claire, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Eau Claire, WI (US)

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

The benefits are great in terms of the cost of health and dental insurance. The optional vision coverage could be better. The pay is competitive for the area. The (non-management) coworkers are very supportive and helpful. Quick advancement opportunities for phlebotomy staff. Excellent training program.

Cons

Vacation days do not roll over, so you have to use them all in the year and cannot save them up. Even with a doctor's note if you call in sick you get an occurrence. The company is very nit-picky. Management is not supportive and blames staff when staff bring up concerns/suggestions. Advancement opportunities for nurses are terrible. Required to work 5 days a week regardless of being part time or full time. Quick burn out due to lack of consistency in scheduling. You might work until close one day and open the next day. Support departments are not always available to staff.

Allow staff to work less than 5 days a week. Provide a consistent schedule for staff to balance work-life. Do not blame staff when bringing forward concerns or suggestions. Do not talk down to staff.

Great coworkers, terrible hours

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers at Biolife are some of the best I've ever worked with. They are as a whole, supportive people who pitch in to help each other out when needed and know when to laugh when needed. If you want a good benefits at a job where you will be trained from the ground up, for ok pay, this may be a good 1-2 year job for you (most people start burning out after that). If you have a strong body, don't need a lot of sleep, work well in a very tightly controlled and often extremely fast paced environment, and you're willing to jump though the hoops and put in the time, this may be a good fit for you long term.

Cons

The hours are horrible. Everyone is constantly sleep deprived. If you can't handle being micromanaged, don't do well on your feet all day, and you need a consistent sleep schedule, this job is not for you. I also feel like the company tries to seem much more benevolent than it really is. "We're in the business of saving lives." Also the business of making money, make no mistake. Most donor safety concerns are most likely because of lawsuits in the past as opposed to actual care for donors. Employees are used up because it's cheaper than trying to retain them. (My beef is with you corporate, not the center.)

Just be honest. (Some managers are better at this than others.) Everyone knows when you're not telling the truth or giving half truths, and most people will appreciate gentle frankness. Also, kindness is appreciated. Hiring great people is a big plus, so keep it up.

Good company, bad bosses

Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fargo, ND (US)
    Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fargo, ND (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits like good insurance, disability pay, tuition reimbursement. Decent pay and PTO

Cons

Standing all the time at work. Mean co-workers, bosses breathing down your shoulder all the time.

Don't encourage people who tell on each other - That's how you lost your best employees.

10 years at a great organization

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were multiple opportunities to move up in the organization and keep growing as an individual. Once you got to certain level multiple leadership classes were made available and training/travel paid for. I became the manager that I am today because of the time and energy invested in my development.
    This is a fast paced environment, strenuous environment. There is no way to hide that and I know it is discussed in multiple ways during multiple interviews. BioLife is accountable to Donor Safety, Product Safety, and Staff Safety – and decisions are made with all of those in mind.

Cons

Goals change through the year depending on the manufacturing environment. At times adjusting to new expectations feels that we are on a roller coasters and work life balance is tossed out the window. The centers have a six day a week schedule and are operational from 5 AM to 10 PM, but the support departments are not always available during the times that you needed them. The entire organization needs to shift to support the changing expectations.

Don't forget to walk a mile in the shoes of your employees.

Great job but busy to the extreme.

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Appleton, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Appleton, WI (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

Lots of room for advancement for ambitious and hard working individuals. The best health benefits you will ever find. I loved our management. We have monthly meetings that were fun, showing us all of our numbers and recognizing those who are doing a good job. You can move up fast if you continuously show initiative.

Cons

Staff extremely overworked when busy. You start off in medical history, which is insanely easy, just repetitive but can be fun, then most advance into phlebotomy after a few months, where a lot of workers realize after being fully trained, that they can't handle it. The extreme pace of donors and the nasty problems that arise (donors getting sick or blood spill etc) make the job terrible some days. There are a lot of times where you work till 10pm and then have to be back by 5:30am. (you get 5 hours of sleep if you're lucky)

Management is wonderful, actually.

WORST managed company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - ASPCT in Layton, UT (US)
    Former Employee - ASPCT in Layton, UT (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees (not all) are awesome and donor are fun to interact with.
    Good benefits.

Cons

I had previously worked here for almost 2 1/2 years and have never been employed with a company who cares so little about their employees. Very little pay for extreme amounts of work. Have to work almost every Saturday, you will get scheduled to close till 9:00 then open the next day at 4:45. Management sits in their office while employees drown in work. You a lot of the time go to lunch either 1 hour into your shift or 6 hours into your shift with no extra break. You aren't allowed to go to the bathroom when needed (usually takes 3-4 times of asking before accommodation), you actually have to ask to even go to the bathroom, resulting in health problems (this is for more than a handful of employees), you constantly are being micro-managed with every step you take, literally.

When employees are drowning and being overwhelmed with work, actually play the role of a leader and help them rather than stand there and micro-manage their every move. Ensure the host is actually aware of their surroundings and each section to send a donor to a phlebotomist who is prepared rather than sending the donor to the first section they see, so you're not overwhelming your employees. Masters are the highest paying position without being a supervisor, so ensure they fulfill the role of being a leader and not standing/bossing others around.

Has its ups and downs

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

Great benefits - health insurance, life insurance, paid holidays and vacation days. Great pay.
    It's very easy to move up the ladder, but difficult to stay on it.

Cons

Management will never tell you the truth about anything.
    They will not work with your schedule for school or children.
    Management plays favorites on all levels - if they like you, you will advance. If they don't like you, just quit now because you will never change their minds. Certain rules apply to some people and not to others.

Grow up. Embrace openness. Tell people the truth about everything. Offer opportunities and help for personal growth. Personally train people to be the way you expect them to be.

These people need to learn that family/work life needs to balance...

Current Employee - Pct in Sheboygan, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Pct in Sheboygan, WI (US)

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have heard that the benifits are good, but since I started at the begining of the month, I have yet to get a check or help in my benifit choices.

Cons

Over 3 weeks on the job and yet to get a paycheck. I have been trying to get someone, anyone, to help me with a change of address since I freakin started! Everything is computerized, and half the time the computers are out of service. They can change your schedule whenever they want and it is your responsibility to make it work. And split shifts are common, after you are hired...

Biolife Plasma Services Photos