Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated 21 September 2014
Updated 21 September 2014
3.5

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

There's worse out there

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some excellent and talented technical staff, and the opportunity to work on significant Water Projects around the world

Cons

Always felt very US centric, "unless you were born in the US don't expect senior management to listen to you, you're a commodity". Local Management appear to be very focused on self rather than what's best for the company or their staff.

Get in or get out - if you're serious about doing business in Australia, back the business up and support the local business in winning work, even in tough times - if not shut the business down and get out.

Brilliant group of people to work with!

Current Employee - Project Controls  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Project Controls in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Meaningful work.
     Opportunities to excel based on talent and effort.
    Lots of options for fields to work in: energy, water, telecom, government

Cons

You're working with a very smart and talented group of people which can make even above average people feel looked over at times.
    Can be slow to change.

Work on being more agile and leverage the talented millennial joining the organization.

Black & Veatch is a fantastic company to work for, but behind the times with regard to technology.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office is fully of friendly, knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help and share their knowledge. Very pleasant culture, not too clicky, with a sense of orderly openness. If you're up for it and ask, they'll certainly show no hesitation to throw you into a calculated "deep end" (usually in the good way) in order for you to develop the necessary skills to flourish in the industry, and of course, you'll have plenty of help and encouragement along the way. Work-life balance is excellent for most, unless projects are short handed and require mandatory overtime, a rare but real occurrence. Great benefits and good pay.

Cons

I think Black & Veatch suffers from the same problems that most large engineering corporations suffer from: slow-moving when it comes to adopting new technologies, and a general sense of having a sterile corporate personality. In the last year, management has sent out several emails reminding new professionals about dress code policies outlining appropriate forms of footwear and pants, presumably concerned that their recent influx of young new hires has lowered the standard of their image. What they do not realize, however, is that by failing to loosen up in changing times (their passive reminders of official dress code standards given as just one example), they are alienating the younger generation that they so desperately need to connect with.

I strongly advise that you give professionals more freedom to wear appropriate casual wear to work (e.g. blue jeans) unless interfacing with clients, where more traditional attire is still appropriate. Also, avoid sending out emails to the office reminding professionals about rules and regulations. If there is a problem, address it in person with the people it directly concerns. Having to read reminders of rules and regulations on a regular basis may seem to improve productivity and quality on the surface, but it actually propagates a sense of overbearing management power which diminishes morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall positive experience

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

Variety of opportunities and roles

Cons

Travel, some people managers not very people oriented

Great Internship at Black & Veatch

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Inter  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Inter in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Black & Veatch does a great job at giving employees options when they are hired on. During the first two years, the company rotates you to different divisions within the business; Energy, Water, Telecom, etc. When the employee finds a division that suites them best, they can further explore within the division. Black & Veatch really wants the employees to enjoy where they work so the employee can be effective and efficient.

Cons

During my time as an intern the company came off as very divided between engineering and construction. Pointing fingers became a daily occurrence. Not that other companies will not do this, but I found it to be excessive and distracting during work.

As an intern I really enjoyed going to field assignments. Even if it took two weeks to get my feet under me, the experience was valuable and gave a good representation of what work was like at job sites. I believe more interns could have benefited more from seeing the job site.
    There are many (~50) interns each summer and it's easy to get classified as a typical intern. The program is well constructed and thought through, but it makes you feel like your on a conveyor belt. I wish the interviews and updates were less regimented.

Solid Company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Black & Veatch is a well established engineering company. Their brand is based on providing high quality projects. I've worked there for 16 years in the Energy Division. B&V has good pay, a good bonus program and a good stock ownership program. They have a wide variety of technical specialists with extensive experience in many areas. Their health care is costly compared to other firms, but is a full service package. B&V Energy has a group dedicated to training, although like any firm, they struggle some with the delivery of technical training. The people are friendly, and generally concerned about doing the right thing for our projects and our clients. Management seems to care about employee concerns. B&V is a global organization- with many opportunities for multi-cultural experiences. They execute a wide variety of project work in multiple industries.

Cons

B&V is a large company with a bureaucracy that can be difficult to navigate. They have very experienced managers. However growth beyond the engineering discipline can be difficult due to the number of managers already in place. Career growth is available within the engineering disciplines. There is a tendency to pigeon hole individuals once they have demonstrated competence in a single area.
    They emphasize training- but have a training delivery problem in that they aren't able to devote the resources required to formally publish and distribute key technical training. They are working to improve this.
    They tend not to drive career growth- but expect employees to drive the growth themselves. This works ok- but can be really difficult when tranisioning between business lines or divisions.

Provide more opportunities for growth outside of one's specialty.
    Recognize and reward good performance with added responsability.
    Provide the necessary investment to improve training delivery mechanisms.

Same Work... Less Pay

Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician IV  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician IV in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a Eng Tech you get promoted very quickly if you can take on more responsibility than just what is expected of you. You are given real responsibility of project tasks instead of grunt work. Flexible work hours available.

Cons

Doing the same job for less. Very cognitive of degree type rather than recognizing talent.

Recognize talent, provide transparency of responsibility of upper management, and be more open about opportunities within business lines.

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well paid senior management. No blame culture.

Cons

No opportunities for career progression

Increase the salary

Challenged to adapt to consulting business

Former Employee - Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good solid engineering company. Capable, experienced personnel.

Cons

Does not understand the consulting business.
    I came in as part of an acquisition. B&V did not take advantage of what our firm brought - was not able to leverage the expertise and brand to help build its consulting business.

To successfully move into management consulting, need to adapt practices and policies including sales and pricing.

Civil structural technician

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours are nice, most of the other professionals are friendly and always willing to help. Decent benefits. Clean safe area Ann Arbor is a safe city lots of restaurants close by.

Cons

Office is super outdated ergonomics suck! Technology isn't too bad. Chances of advancement are slim even if you bust your butt. Pay is crappy raises are small. Ann Arbor gets treated like a step child annual reviews are a joke and seem staged with no real information. No profit sharing for the people working in the trenches. No lunch room... Seriously? It's 2014 get with the times.

Ya wonder why it's hard to retain younger employees... Share the wealth with everyone not just line the pockets of upper level employees. I feel like a number.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!