BlackBerry

3.5
1,084 Reviews

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Pros
  • Great work life balance, standard benefits, good company name to have on your resume (in 70 reviews)

• Flexible working hours; Good employee benefit (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • While work life balance was preached a lot at BlackBerry it was never really very fair (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management is still looking for or defining the way back to glory (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

638 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I'm incredibly proud to say that I worked for BlackBerry!

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Highly talented engineers, dedicated project managers and gung-ho sales managers

Cons

Weighed down by very negative market perception

My experience with BlackBerry as a company was great, although the team that I worked with was not a suitable fit for me

Current Employee - Software Engineering Associate  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Associate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly, especially management! I really appreciated and enjoyed the mentoring that came from my fellow co-workers on my team. I have a learned quite a lot while here.

Cons

There are more cons for me since working as a co-op is not the full experience. I didn't get extremely interesting work since I am just here temporary. I felt a bit segregated at time, so I hope that BlackBerry will revamp their co-op program to what it was around 2007.

Set up more activities for teams! Team building is a huge thing and if someone doesn't feel included in that team it makes them feel less appreciated and negatively affects their work.

Changing for the better

Pros

Opportunity to contribute can be significant. Great passion for security and enterprise mobility. The new company structure is set up such that each BU has a clear mission and Plan. The future for BlackBerry to again be a leader in one or more areas of enterprise mobility is very strong. Massive amount of IP around mobility and wireless and very creative thinkers in product management.

Compensation very competitive. US Benefits above average.

Pretty solid EMM platform with parity with most competitors.

Cons

Constantly changing bonus and compensation structure. New sales management of former SAP people have large egos and heavy demands on sales teams. Some are fair, or at least willing to work with you and provide coaching. Others are just one sided.

Canadian company, not an American company. Canadian mindset of feeling as important to Americans as they are to themselves is changing though now that nearly every single leader of the management teams is American and US based.

Somewhat slow to market with new products and offerings, but new leaders are changing that as fast as they can.

Please remember that communication within the company is VERY important. The old BlackBerry was terrible about this. BlackBerry 2.0 has improved on that, but could always do better.

Become MUCH BETTER at marketing your products. Way too many people in the enterprise do not realize how solid of a product the BlackBerry Enterprise Service is for MDM/EMM.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Had an opportunity to hone my skills and a very fast paced 'creative chaos' culture

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Waterloo, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, QC (Canada)

Pros

Empowered to act
    Opportunity to do my best work
    Keep my skills at the cutting edge
    Passion for the brand

Cons

No unifying culture
    Silo'd
    Not as much listening as is needed for tru collaboration

Please hire talent that isn't from Sybase and that you haven't worked with before.

Challenging technical work, good team

Former Employee - Java Software Developer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Java Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Worked for BlackBerry for almost seven years; had very interesting technical work, and my team mates were very solid, technical contributors. My boss would play some favouritism, but in general he tried to be fair and would give us opportunities as they would arise. Excellent work-life balance, where they would be times to do some intense work, and some times to go slower; combined with the opportunity to work from home one or two days a week and flexible hours, it was an excellent job.

Cons

Upper management didn't see Android coming until it was too late, and the response was not the best; however, they have been unfairly punished by the media, both in the US and in Canada.

Mr Chen is doing an excellent job, focusing on the corporate services, security, and expanding into the Internet of Things field. I am confident they will get better in two or three years.

Had many ups and downs throughout my tenure but overall a fantastic experience. Given the choice I'd work there again.

Former Employee - Team Lead  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

The opportunity to work in a cutting edge, fast paced technology industry. The new corporate team really gives the feel that they know what they're doing and are guiding the company in the right direction for the first time in years.

You receive a corporate issue phone and are encouraged to participate in beta programs, truly giving you the feel that you provide input into upcoming products.

Cons

Growth within teams can be difficult as there is often a ceiling that gets hit. There is still somewhat of a silo'd culture, making it difficult for true collaboration amongst certain teams. Past grudges still inhibit work completion

Ensure that decisions are made consistently across the company and that employees feel that their voices are heard.

Fun and challenging place to work

Former Employee - Electronics Technologist  in  Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Electronics Technologist in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

Pros

The pay was good and the work environment was pleasant. The work itself was challenging and consistently interesting.
    The hours were flexible and there was plenty of vacation time

Cons

There was very poor communication between departments. Secrecy often trumped co-operation. The company was going through a long period of down-sizing, so job security was non-existent.

Director

Former Employee - Director  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

This company had some very fantastic people that were very loyal and motivated to succeed. The company paid very well and had very good benefits.

Cons

The downsizing over the last few years was definitely the worst part of the job. Seeing good friends let go and having to let very good employees go was not fun.

You need to keep talented people and in the current situation it is usually the most talented people that leave. Find ways to keep the talent in the organization.

Lots of experience to garner

Pros

a company that has a good culture, very good people

Cons

Takes time to get things done

Great internship, learned a lot but saw the scars of interdepartment politics

Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

- lots of opportunity to pursue projects you're interested in
    - some very experienced, highly educated employees
    - lots of high-tech toys
    - good work-life balance

Cons

- interdepartment politics
    - disinterested, tired employees
    - some employees and departments are filled with people with toxic personalities

Conclusion: I couldn't see myself having a career in this environment, not a very effective catalyst for promoting ground-breaking work, really researching the heart of the problems to discover what is going on.

Make sure that the relationships between various is department more so than competitive.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!