Bloomingdale's

Updated 26 February 2015
2.9

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 75 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 46 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and gets a lot of money

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Selling at Bloomingdales is simple if you're ready to focus. I made a ton of money working only 15 hours a week. Most weeks were $300-$400 after taxes on a good week I made over $600. Some of my co workers complained about not making any money but they were the ones messing around and talking to each other and ignoring customers.

Cons

It can get irritating if people start stealing sales. You have to make sure you keep an eye on your customers or someone else could ring them up. In my particular department, if you were courteous and didn't steal sales, others returned the favor. I heard in other departments it is much more cut throat.

I wish that they would simplify some of the sales. We would have like 3 different promotions going at once and it got confusing for the sales associates as well as the customers

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and advancement, promotes intercompany skills and product knowledge

Cons

Too much pressure for credit card openings; Need for client return revisit; some of merchandise damaged or used and we still had to accept the merchandise

Seasonal Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Hackensack, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Hackensack, NJ (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

The discount was the best part of working here. They offered double discounts throughout the months on certain brands and items. Pick up unwanted shifts in every department.

Cons

Rude customers and sometimes rude coworkers. Managers aren't very helpful. Never explained sales or promo's, often customers would explain them to me.

Always be on time. Take extra shifts. Give grade a customer service. Never share discount. Ask for help when needed.

full time sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to take ownership of a business and depending on what you do with that will determine your success. Great discounts, good management team, generally nice coworkers, great assortment of products to sell

Cons

The company places too much importance on Client selling ,relationship and honestly appeasing that is a time waste/distraction. Opening store credit cards is a major part of the culture and hearing about it daily can be rather tiresome. The commission structure draw verses commission system creates an anti team climate, The way you are paid under the draw verses commission structure can be incredibly daunting when business is slow . Growth within is nonexistent.

In a changing retail culture the draw verses commission structure may need some tweaking. Base plus commission? the importance of client sales should be a tool for us to grow sales and not part of our review

it can be a lot of fun, but you get what you work for and can have very difficult clients

Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

it can be fun on good days, the pay can be great depending the day and the discount

Cons

the pay on a bad day
    each dept is different

give us base salary

Good growth opportunity and fairness

Current Employee - Women's Fragrance Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Women's Fragrance Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

If you're a hard worker and like to exceed goals Bloomingdale's is a great employment opportunity. Your success is measured solely on client sales and relationship building.

Cons

Time off is managed completely around the marketing calendar. Very hard to take vacations when you would like if there are events going on in the store.

Vacation time is very hard to schedule around the multiple events occurring in the store monthly. Time is measured on events not as much on personally when you would like to take your vacation time.

Good experience an a learning opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Fast paced environment and very competitive. If you like retail this is an excellent place and a learning experience. Great employee discounts and a good place for networking.

Cons

Work on the schedule system. Too many managers and it takes a long process to make a final decision

Cosmetics

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working in the cosmetic dept. at Bloomingdales in San Francisco. It's a very large store with a lot of fun and unique people!

Cons

One challenge working here is that the store is downtown and sits right between Mission st and Market st, which can sometimes bring a not so pleasant crowd into the store.

Great environment and team / saturated work responsibilities

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance, environment, promotion, benefits, people

Cons

Training, too many cooks in the kitchen, micromanaging, HR, personal growth