Bloomingdale's

Bloomingdale's Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Bloomingdale's Chairman and CEO Mike Gould

Mike Gould

Pros:
  • "Company offers a 20% employee discount (with a double discount offered a few days a month)"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Great Discount, fun environment with interesting people"
    in 36 reviews
Cons:
  • "Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates""
    in 36 reviews
  • "weekend work, pressure to sell the credit card, Pre sell goals, working holidays"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

ProsThis large fashion leader is like working with your family. They care about you and what is going on.

ConsSometimes because you are so close, when disappointment occurs, it hurts a lot

Advice to Senior ManagementBe forthright with what you have to do to get promoted.

great company values, inconsistency among stores.

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosopportunities for growth- if you work hard and are passionate about your job and the company, promotions are available. senior executives (CEO, director of stores, RVPs etc) spend time in all stores- from highest volume to lowest.

Consunrealistic expectations. you don't always feel valued- successes aren't always recognized. the feeling of being spread too thin is ongoing due to constant additions of responsibilities.

Service Professionals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomingdale's

ProsVery casual atmosphere, good reward system in plaec. Very much "you get what you put in"

ConsSuperiors could be condescending, not great at understanding work-life balance, often pressured into taking additional shifts to cover other's who had not been pulling their weight

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more to subordinates like equals

Experience was neutral.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

ProsAs long as you did your work, management was appeased. No micromanagement. Great brands/discounts: main reason why I chose Bloomingdales. Thorough training.

ConsMore recent hires tend to pick up the slack for veteran employees. At the same time the older employee took slight advantage of the leadership style and "directed" new employees.

A fun place to work at with friendly people.

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

ProsThe best perk about working for Bloomingdales is the great discount offered, and the unbelievable deals that are available. Merchandise is fun to work with. Working with clients is rewarding.

ConsAs with most retail stores, the evening/ weekend hours can be a pain. Upper management is fine. Poor performing employees need to be held responsible or better trained.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue improving communication channels between sales associates and managers.

Great

Make Up Artist (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

ProsFair, laid back, Great to meet new clients .

ConsThe dress cod. You should get promoted because of hard work not favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more compunction between management and employee.

OUTSTANDING

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for more than a year

ProsThe clothing discount is great especially during a employee sale
You have the opportunity to make a lot of money in a short amount of time if you are good at sales
The job is great for college students because you can work nights and weekends and Bloomingdales looks good on your resume

ConsThe upper management should get more involved in the selling floor. The manager allow for too many returns and the customer take advantage of the lenient policies.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within

Good-hearted culture but not very professional and lacking respect for employees

Product Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership is kind and caring, especially compared to Macy's; lots of opportunity for learning.

ConsCompensation and work-life balance are tough. Plus lots and lots of drama with Macy's. You never get to feel like you have done a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSituation with Macy's makes this job very stressful - so it has to be adequately compensated and otherwise rewarded to make it worthwhile.

Excellent Place to Work

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work with great people, great fashion, and for a great company. Generous PTO and comp time.

ConsJunior to Senior level management jump is difficult. Need to be able to relocate to really grow.

Great people, cumbersome management style

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

ProsThe people are great! Very concerned about well-being of associates. Likes to empower associates.

ConsIt's a challenge to get anything significant done and there is a lack of accountability and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet more concrete and elevated standards for your associates. There are a lot of managers that feel powerless due to the constant inquiries of how the associates would like to be managed and not enough confidence in the ability of their management team to manage.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomingdale's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bloomingdale's CEO Mike Gould. All 410 reviews are posted anonymously by Bloomingdale's employees.