Blount International

Updated 19 October 2014
Updated 19 October 2014
3.1

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Blount cares and listens to their employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel engaged and my opinion matters. Our CEO, Josh Collins is engaged and leads with humility. I like that we are focused on continuous improvement and strive to create a cohesive global team. There is great communication within the organization. I really enjoy attending our Kaizen report outs every week and I like that these are video conferenced globally and recorded, and that all employees are invited and encouraged to attend.

Cons

I do not have anything I don't like at Blount.

Continue to engage with your employees and listen to our opinions. Keep the lines of communication open.

My expereince at Blount International was less than I expected it to be.

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Blount International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Both the assigned work schedule and the compensation offered are excellent for those individuals wanting/needing day shift/regular office hours for working by.

Cons

Available options for communication with members of the ET. , Department Managers, and Staff, are poor to weak at best. Resources offered to perform job duties with were scarce, in some instances incomplete, and overall inadequate for the end user.

Listen more, talk less, exercise an open door policy, and practice professional business etiquette when in the presence of others.

Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

A great place to work, in an old school manufacturing company.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Feels like a family at work, people really dive into the work, great company in the Pacific NW, with a great reputation.
    - Great experience
    - Josh Collins is a great asset to the company along with most of his senior leadership team.

Cons

- Old Boy style progression of employees
    - The product amount to limited growth in a commodity market, and efforts to break into to new segments has been lackluster. Efforts to grow through acquisitions have been hit or miss.

- Think long term, and look for competitive strategies regarding investment in manufacturing excellence. Management is too focused on short term solutions, and the progressive managers are ostracized, and isolated.
    - This company has so much potential to be truly world class in a lot of aspects, but needs world class talent in the middle ranks.

My experience here has been demanding, confusing, and unfruitful after two years of service.

Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your base pay gets bumped up pretty quickly after your first year, and the overtime is abundant. Their 401k is unlike any other company I have been with. They have excellent benefits and good people to work with.

Cons

1. You top out pretty quickly here. There are individuals here who haven't received any raises for over a decade. After year one, you are stuck in your pay grade.
    2. Policies change without notice here.
    3. The turnover ratio here is high.
    4. Associates are not held accountable in their actions at all in there work. If you can get away with just doing a little, then you can.

I have spoken with associates from Blounts' all across the US and have heard great things. Here in Kansas City they remind us of our P4 beliefs and ethics, but falls flat on action.

Blount has a lot of potential if they get the right management in plave

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lots of overtime.

Cons

No one gets in trouble very often for not doing their job.

Tell people to stop talking and do their job

Good People, Bad Decisions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blount has fairly competitive salaries, good benefits, great people to work with, high percentage of long term employees, and ongoing education opportunities if you are seeking an associates or bachelors.

Cons

Lack of flexibility with work schedule, poor advancement opportunities, horrible communication/collaboration between departments, extreme low percentage of women in management positions, knee jerk reactions in decision making leading to frequent failure

This company is management heavy with a bunch of yes men. Listen to your little people, they do all of the work and have great insight on long term goals.

A challenging and great place to work

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comp/benefits. Great teammates that really care about the quality of work that they do as well as the products they manufacture and sell.

Cons

Work/life balance
    Missing processes in many if the different areas including planning, logistics, accounting, project management, and Admin in general. Plenty of opportunity for improvement.

Keep recruiting and retaining top notch personnel

Blount opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Blount International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Educational aide, good matching 401K, and room for growth if your willing to put in effort and schooling. Very goog technical trades "apprenticeship" training. Blount is very team oriented, and pays better than most companies. The employees in manufacturing are well trained and care about what they do, they are some of the best people that a company could get!

Cons

Their sales forcasting has never been very accurate wich results in manufacturing fluctuations, poor sales and foreign competition picking up sales. Blount is closing its Milwaukie facility and is displacing "laying off" 225 employees, which include a large number of long term employees. Roughly 20-25% of its manufacturing work force is affected.

You are losing all your core employees that made Blount what it has become. There is way to much upper administration. When times get tough you let go the people that actually do the work! Stop with all the P4 business and just go with profits, your employees would respect you a lot more! Stop buying unprofitable companies and stick with the core business, saw chain.

Great experience working there last summer as an intern.

I worked at Blount International

Pros

Amazing caring management team that were very approachable. They care about people in the company.

Cons

I was pretty satisfied with all my experience.

Blount International Photos