Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated 30 January 2015
Updated 30 January 2015
2.6

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent (in 8 reviews)

• Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage (in 11 reviews)

• The upper management is closed minded and does not want to hear what the salesforce has to say (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

To answer HR's question: Why Employees Want to Remain Anonymous....... and then some

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Obviously, the "PROS" are not the reason. Almost every review of this company has given high marks in the Pros box! Great benefits, fantastic customer service, work at home for sales staff......etc

Cons

Micro management is "over the top" STILL! Acct managers need to do their jobs without fear of getting fired. Regional Managers need to keep their team motivated to hit their numbers. It can be done positively and not threatening, but that's not happening everywhere. Pretty soon the company will have more trainers, consultants and managers than reps! I know that's a "little" exaggerated, but I'm trying to make a point. You only need one nat'l trainer., let the regional managers do the job they were hired to do. They ride with reps all the time, if they need help they are there for them!

If you get rid of 40%+ of your sales force in the course of a year, why not look at upper management and consultants to cut some fat? I'm very serious! That would put more money in the pockets of the "Employee Owners" pockets! By the way, why don't the employee owners have any say in major decisions like reacquiring companies ...etc?

To Human Resources: If you want the reason employees make the decision (like myself) to remain anonymous on Glass Door, it's because they are afraid to be fired. We feel management will find a reason to let them go because they don't think they have the passion to do the job or some other reason. Believe me, I know "many" acct mgrs who are motivated and have passion to do the job. These acct mgrs are above end bill and going to the Presidents Club or close to it.....I'm one of them!

Who cares whether you give your name or not? If you read these reviews with an open mind, really listen and begin to act on them, the reviews will begin to be more favorable over time. You can make the analogy to a costume party: when someone puts a mask on, they tend to say things or act differently because the mask keeps them anonymous. That's what's happening here and that's actually a good thing for management to see. It's called constructive criticism.

When the CEO of the company addresses the 250 acct mgrs negatively on a webinar at the end of a year,do you really think they will be jumping up and down with passion and motivation? The CEO blamed the sales force for not making the company's forecast and then the last power point slide had " Happy Holidays & Happy New Year" REALLY By the way, the webinar had several technical difficulties... AND the CEO's background is IT....unbelievable!

There are no fingers pointed at the poor IT and failing system that makes our jobs harder, embarrassing in front of customers and more time consuming! Is there a possibility of bringing in some new IT people who know how to "fix" our tech issues? Let's not get in the work / life balance, that's a whole other subject!

Yes, there have been some positive changes, but we believe that's because of the reviews on Glass Door. Obviously if HR is reading them, so is upper management! So keep coming back to Glass Door and read on.......

Once great company that has lost direction.

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Above average benefits. 401k match, health, dental, std/ltd, vacation, PTO. Home office, flexible schedule, but I understand that has changed as micromanagement has set in. Great co-workers who have left in droves.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Products that do not work with little support to correct.

stop micromanaging. Management needs to remember how the company was successful the first 90 plus years. Stop rolling out new initiatives until the current ones work correctly.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Response

Jan 07, 2015Director of Human Resources

It is unfortunate that, as a current employee-owner, you have chosen to remain anonymous. Remaining anonymous precludes us from having an honest and productive dialogue about your feedback. Please ... More

Real change needed...in leadership and technology.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

Flexible schedule, active and used network (despite the flaws) which keep things going, a good immediate manager, excellent 401K, and end of year break. New salaries are a plus and generally still good pay for what we do - good incentives.

Still help our customers be seen in the industry, get work, and be successful. The core premise of the company works in spite of the rest!

Cons

Leadership - hands down they are poor managers, poor leaders, don't know how to motivate people and are focused on the wrong things. Recently - there was the worst CEO led conference call I've ever sat on, and I have worked at both large and small companies and this was pathetic. We need to be a team, focused on working together on improving the company. Just blaming the sales team for every loss is not true leadership. How about doing root cause analysis on why customers are leaving the network and getting the real feedback. How about listening to the sales team and what we've been saying for years?! Where is the vision? where is the 5-10 year plant? The CEO should not be focused on a proview picture for success. And for the record, I am not a disgruntled underachiever - I actually exceeded quota etc.

With better leadership and attitudes, we'd be working together as a team. That end of year call: pointed fingers, blamed all on sales, deflected responsibility, threatened the entire sales force, was DE-MOTIVATING, and presented arbitrary numbers the sales team had not heard at the beginning of 2014 when expectations were set. That is NOT a way to move on to success or launch a successful 2015. We all realize it was a rough year overall compared to 2013.

The leadership also seems to want to ignore R&I - just focus on new. All the new people right out of training have sold new business. They are being hailed as heroes - but what about the millions of $ in R&I that actually support the company. They are the true backbone and keeping them happy is more difficult each year as products have failed us. Yes we agree that new sales are always needed and critical but so are the millions of existing customers. If we retained more - and helped them be more successful we'd have grown in 2014. Let's focus on that for more than a glossed-over, passed-over moment.

Products need innovation and improvement.

The leaders (CEO, National Sales Manager, etc.) really need to take some management training. Being passionate about the company and business are great qualities, but you also need to know how to manage and motivate your people. You also need to learn to surround yourself with the right people to be successful. We hear there are a lot of consultants helping the business. But either they are too afraid to tell you the truth or you are not listening to them. Get better consultants to help the leadership be better.

If you want sales to be more successful try:
    1. Motivate us with positive attitudes not blame and threats. Management by fear went out with the 80s. You really need to improve morale and threatening letters and micro-management are not the way to do it.
    2. Please make the products work. The technology is antiquated and hopefully the new purchased and changes will help solve this. Recognize that has a huge impact on customers and our success.
    3. Get a real accounting department. Most companies have accounts receivables and a team to work that. Asking the sales team to spend time chasing collections and credit card expiration dates is insane. In our market the collections problem has grown year over year and takes up more time than ever before. This directly impacts sales.
    4. Micro-management is out-of-control and that is not the way to improve results or morale.
    5. Keep the $$ incentives real. the 2014 comp plan was not achievable for most people so fixing that would be great.

I still think the company can be successful - not just by the 'numbers' but also to be a great place to work, feel like a team working to the same goals. After the recent end of year call - it came across as sales against the rest of the company, we are the let-down. The entire company needs to band together and move in the same direction together for true growth and success. I'd like to see the leadership bring that to the company instead of the miserable, fearful, threatening environment they have now created. That might work for new sales people but your really good successful seasoned sales professionals won't stick around long in that environment.

The Definition of Dead End Job

Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Snow Days
    -1/2 Day Summer Fridays
    -Health Insurance is good

Cons

-There is absolutely no room for growth with this company unless you want to sell or listen to people yell at you on the phone all day about how terrible our products are.
    -Too many products that are not properly supported/broken/confusing.
    -Awful communication. One hand does not know what the other is doing in this company.
    -A variety of executives who are never on site and seem to do nothing. Have no idea why they're even on the payroll.
    -Complaints about management that go nowhere. It doesn't matter how many people complain or how well documented the problem is, they look the other way. Employees are talked down to, or harassed until they quit and nothing is done.
    -Treated like idiots and children who are not entitled to their own ideas or opinions.
    -Forced to work overtime without compensation.
    -Absolutely no work/life balance or flexibility.
    -Company is overrun with nepotism and management plays favorites to a level that has caused it to become a company wide joke.
    -The company has been "restructured" a number of times in the past several years with no real results.
    -It doesn't matter how hard you work, you will not be compensated for it. Base salary is a joke and raises are pathetic.
    -Systems are outdated and behind the times.

Realize that most of your employees are miserable and are searching for other jobs. Try to actually appreciate the talent you have and try to hold onto them. Reward the people who work hard, not just the people who have a certain last name. Put some pride in your products and focus on making them better instead of creating more. Focus on actually getting customers to pay rather than counting the money you're supposedly going to get as "growth".

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Response

Jan 07, 2015Director of Human Resources

This is not the place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to work at the The Blue Book . It use to be a great place to work

Cons

YOU CAN SUM IT UP ON ONE WORD MICRO MANAGEMENT AT ITS FINEST. UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. THEY NEED TO SELL AT ONCE

SELL THE COMPANY THE CEO HAS NO CLUE

What Once Was......May Be Gone.......

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

Pros

Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have.
    * Flexibility to work from home is a plus, though that does equate to working way more than a 9 hour day when your every move must be accounted for and documented.
    * Immediate manager has brought solid ideas to the table and is always available to assist.
    * Co-Workers that provide encouragement. Not looking to compete with each other but help one another. Protected sales territory

Cons

* Upper management not taking ownership that many of the companies issues are their doing. Examples are: an inferior lead generating system, multiple IT issues, no fear of consequences for them (they just move to another high level position.....must be nice)
    * A reputation that is being tainted in the industry makes the job more challenging. There is a cocky attitude of superiority that is no longer warranted.
    * For a company that is preaching change......we are still waiting.
    * Too many high level managers and consultants with large salaries and no substance (though Cody who created one of our new products, and Doug who is a manufacturers consultant and business economist, are a breath of fresh air and are the only higher management people that spends time interacting with our customers).
     * There is a simple lack of respect for our current account base, the customers that pay our salaries with their advertising dollars are nickeled and dimed to death. Where is their input, why don't we ask for it?
    * Lack of vacation time, when I was hired 10+ years ago, we had more. What company decreases your time off the longer you are with them?

Please look to yourselves and be honest. You have turned over more than 50% of your sales force in the past 5 years (remember, this is a 102 year old company) This isn't something to be proud of.
    * It's time to get input from our customers, even they ones that have cancelled...especially them.
    * Consider more vacation time, a sound mental state and balance in our lives would go a long way.

Is Change Coming...Too Late

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

Pros

Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent. Company is trying to initiate changes.

Cons

Bad decisions over product development and product launching have caused this 100 year old company to lose its foothold in the marketplace. Products are developed and launched without any field input or interest from customers, the end result has been a poor experience on the end user side, resulting in less logging in to the system! The arrogance of some of the leadership at the top levels is so great that as little as two years ago they would boastfully say we have no real competition in the marketplace. Guess what, it is competition if they are competing for and winning the limited $ of customers. Lots of issues to overcome most are stemming from the IT side and the ability to provide the complete and needed information in an easy to use format for our customers.
    Growth is extremely important and those at the top can not understand why it is so difficult. Consultants are hired and paid to determine this. Try talking to the thousands of customers who have left, they will give you an idea or better yet listening to what your reps in the field have been saying for the last eight years or so.
    No accountability at the top for the current problems. In a recent national sales call the overwhelming clear message was sell more or else. "this is what you signed up for." I actually thought I signed up for a top notch company and product that would help those in construction reach their goals, PLEASE DELIVER.

Take accountability for your actions. The same leadership team has been in place for a long time with a lot of poor decisions and unwillingness to initiate true change. I have not heard a fresh idea yet. Now trying to catch up to the competition which should have been happening years ago. I think change needs to happen at the top levels of this organization.

Solid Training & Sales Opportunity -- Although I believe that "print" advertising is a dying industry.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

Pros

The company has great training and the people that work there really are great. Corporate is in upstate New York and the people are all very friendly and great. There is potential to make a lot of money and they also have some pretty cool perks when you hit presidents club.
    They are moving their business model to include a bunch of great internet/computer products.

Cons

They place a lot of emphasis on Print Advertising which I believe is a dying industry. However, they are ramping up their internet and computer based offerings and if they can get those flying -- there will be a huge opportunity for growth.
    The only way to promote above a Regional Manager position is to move to the corporate HQ.

Give more paid vacation -- its hard to plan all of my vacation around the holiday shut down.

Great Product - Company lacks professionalism and integrity

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Promote themselves well with a great product line industry specific to construction and are growing the product line to meet industry needs.

Cons

Where do I start? Training managers drank excessively and were so hung over in the morning they were ill. Every pay check was a struggle to get paid correctly. No market research done in region to support sales teams. Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage.

Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. i.e. "you're working too hard - you need some time with your family - but don't do that during working hours - save that for after hours in your downtime." Really listen to your sales team - don't just pay them lip service.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos