Boots

Boots Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe(in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected(in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult(in 6 reviews)

Friendly place to work

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsI like the people I work with. Although I work in operations I am also working on my healthcare training so there is always room to improve. Every day is different, you never know what you are going to face and that makes it more interesting and fun

ConsWorking in a shop in a shopping centre we have no fresh air coming into the shop. The air conditioning is not great and air temperatures can run as high as 30C in the summer. Not good when you are putting out delivery.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the shop floor staff on matters more. We all have valid opinions and often feel they are not appreciated or even heard in the majority of cases

A company of which I will always be very fond.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsBoots is always professional, it undertakes excellent training approaches, and is a company that always seeks ways to strengthen its bond with its customers. On lower levels staff work great as a team.

ConsThere is very slight room for employee professional development, in terms of promotion. Moreover, the company is currently too understaffed and this has lead to an overall exhaustion of resources at ground level.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the concerns of your employees with an empathetic ear.

I enjoy going to work most days , I like the store I'm in, we have a good team .

Health Care Advisor (Current Employee) Gosport, England (UK)

ProsGreat staff discounts , Good rates of pay, I work with a good team who are fun ,friendly and surportive. I'm able to work Mon - Fri .

ConsWe don't have enough staff in our store , some people have left / moved to other store and we haven't had them replaced . Some days can be very challenging because if this .
    The uniform isn't very weather friendly .

Advice to Senior ManagementPut money into more staffing in stores , (not just mine) , If you have the staff in place shop liftting would go down and would save the company lots of lost money .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The friendliest, most welcoming place I've ever worked.

Customer Assistant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsSuch a fantastic place to work: my colleagues are so helpful and great to work with and the managers are organised and supportive which is so encouraging. Staff discounts are great - 22.5% for Boots own products and 12.5% for everything else. When I first started at Boots, the guidance and training I recieved from my managers meant I could speak to customers with confidence about the store's products.

ConsSometimes too much is expected of you - too many tasks are given out in a day, especially when short staffed. Big focus on Feel Good Moments - when working in a very small and extremely busy store, customers are mostly too busy even take a reciept, nevermind listen to the feedback form.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the new Boots app has been released, I think it would be more advantageous to send the Feel Good Moment forms to the customers account to allow staff at the tills to focus on the customer. Updating Boots systems would allow the company to be much more effecient - new till systems for example.

It was a good job if you like to be on your feet, talking to customers and working with other people.

Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Leicester, England (UK)

ProsThe discount is very good, with a regular discount on normal products and more off Boots own brand products. The people were nice to work for and the manager always treated me fairly. I think the incentives to work there are good aswell because we had regular competitions over selling the most products.

ConsIt's constantly on your feet, so your feet might ache towards the end of the day. Some of the shifts are long aswell. We had to work quite late over the Christmas period, which can be stressful and sometimes understaffed if people call in sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say maybe try to provide stools for employees at the tills.

Busy and understaffed

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood staff benefits, great training and prospects, Can transfer to another store late on in career

Consmost stores are stretched and understaffed. Want you to give excellent customer service whilst doing operational tasks but get annoyed if you don't complete ops task

Easy money for a student.

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- quite a good pay for this kind of job
    - overtime possibilities
    - discounts: 22.5% boots brands, 12.5% everything else, additionally some occasional double discounts
    - amazing colleagues, made loads of friends there

Cons- hideous uniforms
    - monotonous and repetitive job
    - not much room for the career progression
    - long hours, short breaks
    - ridiculous rules - you can have an investigation for being 1minute late

Advice to Senior ManagementMassive disproportions between their experience. Frequently, bad organisation and chaos. Also, very poor communication which caused problems to the colleagues e.g. lost holiday requests (imagine getting a phone call from a manager asking you why on earth you're not at work yet, while you are 2500 miles away!)

Hire more staff as it's getting ridiculous! Plenty of times I was the only one on the shop-floor (serving/assisting customers/pulling forward and pretending a security guard!).

Last but not least, the store's manager was an evil bully!

exciting, challenging, rewarding

Pharmacy Dispenser (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsKnowing that we are putting our customers first and always try our best to meet thier needs, Working with a great team of people. Working for a well known company a trusted brand, pride in the company Rewarded for achievements bonus for meeting targets, and of course staff discount

ConsStaffing levels at times to tight, we do try and plug the holes with extra duties but this at times just is not enough and to much overtime becomes to much especially when you are fulltime we arent forced to do this , because of our commitment to our business we feel we should,

Advice to Senior Managementfigures can be made to look anyway you want them to look, beaware there is life other than Boots and no i personally dont think we should have hours that are not required but when we say we are struggling listen, We are providing a service which should be better than the best, we are BOOTS

A great company to work for!

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsWorked part time on weekends so hours where manageable around my studying. Managers were friendly, approachable and would always offer help and guidance, we were always up to date with any training needed, I got on really well with my colleagues and enjoyed working with all of them. There was always something to do when the store wasn't busy, which was good as you never get bored and standing there doing nothing! the staff discount was a great bonus.

ConsOften the store would be relatively quiet throughout the day and a large rush at lunch hour, with exceptions to christmas! There wasn't alot of overtime offered apart from during busy periods such as christmas and maybe over the summer holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales plan was great but maybe needed more staff doing it in some cases!
    clearer guidance with holiday - as that often got confused!

A pre-reg who needed more support but never get them to the fullest.

Pre-Reg (Former Employee) Stokesley, England (UK)

ProsGood training they provide, especially for pre-reg. Good conference. Higher salary. Good employee discount (though I never got my discount card). Excellent facilities.

ConsWhen I asked for flexibility to extend my pre-reg year due to my body conditions, they were not willing to do so due to the fact that it will influence their business. And I had to quit my job in the end as they would not give me more changes. They would not let me sit down at work. There were not enough staffs in the store so being absent was a huge pressure to the store. The only person that gave me the most support was Kim Whitehouse, my teacher practitioner.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have enough staffs in stores. You talk about caring for your employees so that they could give the best customer service to people. But no, almost every store is short of staffs, when everyone is under stress, who is able to smile naturally or make that make-a-difference conversations with customers. You give the managers pressure and they give the staffs pressure, it is not a healthy working environment at all compared to many other smaller organizations.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!