Boral

Be The First To
Add Photos

Boral CEO Ross Batstone

Ross Batstone

Fine tune your managerial and people skills from day 1 in the Graduate Development Program

Maintenance Planner (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at Boral

ProsThe core of Boral lies in its generalist business, as it is one big conglomerate of business divisions.
Boral suits those engineers who want to develop their managerial skills from day one.
It does not suit the engineer who wants a structured career path in engineering per se (design, analysis etc.)
There are many different business units, from asphalt to concrete and quarries, plasterboard, bricks and timber etc You will not run out of things to do and jobs to learn.
Boral takes pride in its General Managers and to climb up the corporate ladder, they expect you to develop a generalist approach in running a business.
You would get exposure to project management, maintenance, contracting, production and manufaturing working on different sites to corporate planning and strategy development work at HQ.
You can very quickly learn about looking at a balance sheet and managing a P & L
Its also a people's business, and you would manage people and teams much earlier at Boral than you would at other "more structured" firms
Its a very flat structure, and access to your GM is as easy as almost anyone else.
Its an open door policy and you would not run out of mentors and people to give you direction.
Training and development is also well structured, as well as defined career paths.

ConsJust like any other operations business, you are not surroudned by the world's intellectual talents. Working on site and in workshops means exposure to an english language of very limited vocabulary :) and some narrow minded people. It is not an office enviornment in the city where your surrounded by flashy degrees and nice people, eating toasted muffins and drinking caramel flatwhites. Operations are tough, and you will get tested. And you almost really only get one shot at it. First impression means everything. We dont do long hours but we def start early. Working culture is something that would be very hard to change but you might actually see the challenge in that. You will get thrown in the deep end when you start, and you will be monitored. In an operations business you can get left in an area esp when your doing a good job, so you will constantly have to put your hand up and make yourself known to the seniors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe consider secondments to management consulting firms, instead of losing some good employees to them who want to cross the bridge and do some of that work, why not offer consultants an operations experience, and get our operations people to consult, and therefore, make them more rounded managers. I would love to have that opportunity presented to me.

very poor for lower end employees

Plant Operator (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at Boral full-time for more than 5 years

Prosold equptment, breaks down which creates plenty overtime,

Conslack of maintenance on mobile plant, managers must apply for funding to have mobile equiptment fixed or its not done ,not as big on safety as they make out they are, employee assistance = 0, very top heavy in management

Great company. Well financed, but too many changes at the top affected growth.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Boral

ProsOffered competitive compensation package. Had safety as a top priority. Foreign financial backing kept the US division afloat during several down years. Constantly changing to adapt to changing markets.

ConsManagement at almost all levels had very little business or management acumen. Many managers did not have experience or first hand knowledge of the industry they were managing. Often, managers would be heard saying they just hoped to keep their job.
Product quality has slipped in recent years due to the attempt to produce the same products with cheaper raw materials.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know the business and who have management experience.

Job Not a Career

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boral full-time

Pros- Laid back atmosphere
- Friendly work environment
- Very flexible with schedule

Cons- No room for advancement
- They do not promote employees internally.
- No reward system for going the extra mile.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate and reward your employees for their hard work.

Conflicting

Quality Control Technician (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Boral full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility of Schedule.
Opportunity for OVERTIME!

ConsGoing through lean process
If you are not willing to put on your boots an work then go home

Advice to Senior ManagementTop heavy company. Not much room to grow. Advancement is almost non existent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

In Boral working culture and personnel development is So good.

I have been working at Boral full-time for more than a year

Pros- Working culture.
- Personnel development.
- Safety

Cons- in Boral working timing is not suitable.

Horrible Company and Future Outlook

Chester, SC (US)

I have been working at Boral full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Life Balance and Benefits, Non-Union

ConsHigh Turnover, Favoritism, Good Old Boy Network, Poorly defined policies

Advice to Senior ManagementChange Management

The Company to Work with

Area Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Delhi (India)

I have been working at Boral

ProsGood professional company to work with.

ConsNo policise for promotion & increments

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Reputable choice as they maintain a higher lever of integrity and professionalism than many have exp w competitors.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Bowling Green, KY (US)

I worked at Boral

ProsGood company
Good products
Monday thru Friday days

ConsThe company itself was not an issue. As with any workplace, other employees can make or break and cause/fuel drama. This office has one of the latter.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management was fair and professional. I have no real advice I would like to share regarding this location as far as management goes.

Worked for Boral? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boral reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Boral CEO Ross Batstone. All 9 reviews are posted anonymously by Boral employees.