Bottomline Technologies

www.bottomline.com
Employer Engaged

Hard work pays off! Great opportunities at growing company.

Current Employee - Director of Development in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company rewards dedicated employees, great benefits. Company promotes innovation in a great environment with many talented peers to learn from. There is a well defined innovation compensation program that pays for patents and innovative ideas. I have worked here for many years and there is much opportunity for career growth. Company understands the work family balance.

Cons

If you are not a motivated independent person this company may not be for you. While there is a great college hire program and mentorship program for new hires it is expected that you can do your job or communicate quickly when you are in need of help. Like any software related position long hours are required when releases approach but this is cyclical and the company understands the need for balance.

Excellent and rewarding work environment!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's are the benefits. They are robust and affordable. Bonuses are paid quarterly and they are generous. Hard work is recognized, but you have to work hard! There are long hours when the situation calls for it, however; they are also flexible with time off, sick time, comp time, etc. After reading some reviews, I was concerned but, knowing my own situation, I wonder if those people actually spoke to their managers regarding their circumstances. I can't imagine having to chose work over family, and I do not see that, even in my position, where I am exposed to many departments and many levels of employees. Having to work after hours or hours that are not usually defined as working hours is sometimes required as some of the work that is necessary cannot be done during that time. This is the nature of the business. You can't upgrade software during business hours, if you don't know that prior to coming to work for a software company, then that's a problem.

Cons

Opportunities for job growth outside of the corporate headquarters are not heard of often. The employees are responsible for their own development, and although that is also a Pro, knowing what positions or career paths are available is sometimes not as clear.

My advice to management is to do your best to keep the a positive work dynamic. Take the time to listen to the people actually doing the work. You may have a superstar on the team, but just not the "right team". Having the right employees in the right team is a win-win situation. Having a person with great skills but doesn't work great with the rest of the team really isn't beneficial to anyone.

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bottomline is an amazing company to work for as they care very much for their employees at work and outside of work. They uphold a "live and work with and for each other" enviroment inside of work and out. They truly mean it. They have outstanding benefits and compensation is above and beyond. They do not sell you short on anything. Rob cares very much about his employees as well. The people I work with are all there to help you succeed and to keep the wonderful culture of BT ramped up. If someone doesn't have a smile give them your smile and always be positive. I love this company. They also promote employee growth. They are very supportive of any movement you want to make in the company to advance your career there.

Cons

I haven't had any challenges present themselves since I started working here. As long as one keeps a positive outlook in life and work they will find success at this company.

Keep up the great culture!

Valued, validated, and happy

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been at BT for close to two years. I've never been happier in a job. And I’m not hard to please, I usually just like working, I’m happy to just have something to keep my brain busy, that’s all I really ask. This is different.

I actually love everything about it. My coworkers are amazing, I’ve made amazing friends here, I love what we do for our customers, there is an amazing sense of teamwork, I feel intellectually stimulated, and every time I visit the office I get hugs and meet new people and have fantastic conversations.

Cons

Understanding how to communicate is essential. There will always be more to do than is possible, so it's really important to understand communicating about priorities. I've never been asked to do something impossible, but I put in a lot of effort to ensure that I'm spending my time on what's important, and communicating what can't get done until when.

Continue the positive reinforcement of wanted employee behavior and accompilshment. This has been a big deal for me and getting this validation motivates me every day.

I have been with BT for 5 years and in 3 different roles - each one with greater opportunity and responsibility.

Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BT has some of the best people I've worked with. Teams I have worked on are always willing to help you and collaborate to achieve common goals, whether business teams or technical teams.

Cons

BT is great for people with an entrepreneurial mindset - those who are able to think strategically and act tactically and like both. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the details, while also being able to balance longer-term goals, you will do well. If this is not you, then you may struggle to achieve success here.

A Great Place for People with Drive and Commitment to Delight Customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people committed to working with each other to drive a successful outcome for our customers. This organization gets it! It's a fast paced environment with career growth opportunities for those who take initiative. One does not need to be a manager or executive to see a problem or an opportunity and engage people in addressing it.

While I do recommend the company to friends for employment, I do not recommend just any friend. Fit is imperative. Just as it would be for another company. The company has a culture of communication (information sharing), coaching & learning, integrity and PERFORMANCE! A significant attraction factor for me.

Regardless of one's role, they have access to leadership and others throughout the company.

This company is a great community player and employees eagerly participate in ways to contribute to various charitable causes. The company also hosts events for employees' children: Bring your children to work day where departments facilitate prepared learning experiences for the kids and they rotate through the sessions for a half day, ending with pizza and ice cream. Halloween, kids come to trick or treat and the departments participate in a theme competition.

Cons

Con for those who do not have high tolerance for ambiguity and change. Those that are successful stay focused on why they are here...to delight customers and win in the market! They are successful because they embrace change, they don't sit on the sidelines; they are okay not having all of the answers today. They focus outward not inward. These disciplines are essential capabilities to be successful in our growth - oriented company that believes Amazing people can do amazing things.

Continue driving customer delight through actions that pass the test of our company's guiding principles.

A great place to experience growth and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

Many good things, many challenges

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Lots of great people and a real culture of working with and for each other. Benefits are above average, stock purchase plan has been very profitable.

Cons

Not enough people which requires the working with and for each other mentality. Its hard to get real product development done. Investment in employees is limited.

invest more in making products work better and easier. Invest more in growing staff. Even the A players need attention and opportunity from the company to stay an A player.

Great company with promise but no work/life balance

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Working from home
    - Free fruit and beverages (depending on office)

Cons

- Work/Life Balance
    - Product Directions transitions are abrupt
    - Communication from top doesn't necessarily marching orders from below
    - Standard vacation time isn't competitive in current market space

There are a lot of positive things that are occurring however there is some work to be done in area of communication between different levels of management to ensure the roll out plan for decisions are fully understood. It's best to do this in a very short period of time so folks aren't left out of the loop for too long. There are ways to leave employees feeling excited about coming to work outside of money. Growth plans are definitely something that is missing.

You'll get out what you put in!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people. Supportive and caring when you need help, loads of training available if you show a bit of promise and interest. Free fruit daily, massages once a month, lots of little treats, annual Christmas and summer garden party, BBQ in the car park with entertainment, children's party, breakfast provided on Happy Mondays when customer compliments are circulated, pizza Friday once a month (with healthy options). Great community programmes. Financially sound so very secure...if you're good enough / work hard enough to get noticed.

Cons

The car park is a bit of joke. Salary policy is not always consistent

Recruit more quickly to replace people who leave.

Bottomline Technologies Photos