Boy Scouts of America

Updated 10 September 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great working environment

Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor  in  Avalon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor in Avalon, CA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, meaningful interaction with scouts, lots of opportunity for promotion

Cons

Supervisor skill and competency level varied greatly

Make the interview process much more rigorous

Great Volunteers Poor Management

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Get to work with great volunteers and know that you are impacting the development of youth in community and community as a whole. The job is for a self-motivated individual and provides flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

Not comfortable sharing the cons

Fulfilling if you don't mind being overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Executive Staff  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Staff in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make a difference in kids lives

Cons

Major cultural issues. Upper management focus is on next career opportunity and not about improving the program.

Focus on the program and the growth will take care of itself.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall an enjoyable time.

Current Employee - District Executive  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - District Executive in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is a lot of fun, you meet a ton of interesting volunteers. You are typically sent to one training a year to further your knowledge of the company and management styles. You receive a far amount of management training within the first few months of being hired. The professional staff is very personable.

Cons

Strange and long hours, lots of nights and weekends! Management is very task focused during parts of the years. A lot of pressure on quotas. You do make your own schedule but maintaining a work-life balance is difficult, based on many night and weekend commitments.

If you're community-oriented, this is your home.

Former Employee - Para Professional  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Para Professional in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible and close-knit, family like workplace. Work-life balance is very easy to maintain. Little complaints.

Cons

Travel and office culture - which I wouldn't consider a con, but definitely something new and different than what I had been used to.

Find something better

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are none, as you do not get bonuses or anything when you do good. Upper Managers seem to have a hard time even telling you "Good Job"

Cons

There is zero bonus for making sales goals, meeting budgets. Even with membership down you are expected to make 2-5% more in sales vs. the previous year. Have little to no support from TM.

Mostly good seasonal employment, needs lots of improvement

Current Employee - First Aid Counselor
    Current Employee - First Aid Counselor

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

-the camaraderie: All the members of camp staff are very supportive and willing to assist you in every way they can. I got to know people outside my area in ways that I couldn't in other work environments.
    -the mentorship: My Area Director supported me in every way she could and guided me to become a better teacher. Also, she taught the cooking merit badge, I often ate free food before lunch and during the afternoon.
    -the mission: I taught First Aid, and I felt that I was enriching the lives of the Scouts by teaching them to treat basic injuries, and if need be, save lives.
    -teaching independence: I had a great amount (but by no means unlimited) autonomy to teach the class in the way I thought best.
    -free room and board: Staying in an cabin with air conditioning is a nice perk, especially during the hot summer months. The food, however, is mediocre (see "Cons" below)
    -beautiful environment: I worked at a beautiful camp with lots of trees and lakes. The sunsets were unbeatable.
    -leadership: Although there were a few issues, the senior staff did a great job implementing the program and we received numerous complements.
    -the Scouts: The best Scouts will make your day and remind you why you chose to staff camp.

Cons

-low pay: as a first year staffer, I received less than $100 a week when paycheck time came around. I could have worked the same number of hours at a minimum wage job and made much than at camp, even after accounting for the room and board I received.
    -the food: the menu was the same every week. Enough said.
    -disregard of previous experience: I had two years of experience staffing other Boy Scout summer camps, but I was paid like a first-year staffer.
    -communication: there weren't any pre-departure emails or remainders sent out before camp. As a result, I forgot my physical and had to get it faxed to camp. Also, staff were not given a written schedule of events during camp, which resulted in some awkward moments with Scouts and adult leaders when I could not answer their questions.
    -the gossip: I will admit that I enjoyed the gossip at camp, but it can destroy the morale of a camp environment. My experience as a staffer at camp would have been diminished if I became the center of gossip.
    -limited exposure: With one exception, I only taught First Aid and CPR for five weeks straight. A greater variety of teaching duties would have been nice.
    -class sizes: For two weeks, my average class size hovered around 30 Scouts For a hands-on class like First Aid, the class size should be at least half that. Also, discipline is a greater issue in larger classes.

-communication: Be more forthright about issues important to the staff, including sensitive topics such as layoffs and staff discipline issues. Don't leave people guessing. Also, sent out pre-departure emails so everyone is on the same page when they get to camp.
    -pay: It's hard to keep staff motivated if they are not paid competitive wages. At the bare minimum, a 50% increase in salary is warranted, especially considering the long hours all staff members put in to keep the camp running.
    -class sizes: Encourage troops to enroll in later weeks during the summer. That way, class sizes are more evenly spread out.

BSA

Current Employee - District Executive BSA  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

good job, pays decent for small town

Cons

bad job, everyone wants in your business

free time please

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sport Head  in  Talihina, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love to help people

Cons

Learning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Care

terrible

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none, none ,none , none, none

Cons

everything, working sundays, working saturdays

get a life

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!