Boy Scouts of America

Updated 27 February 2015
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

BSA full time position

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Key leaders in the community. Great support system. Full benefits upon hiring for full time staff.

Cons

My wife will not sew on my uniform patches

Hire more great young people to make this movement grow!

Program Aid

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Working with school age kids to increase their interest in scouting with science, math, and art.

Cons

Driving across town in rush hour traffic to get to a school that gets out at 2:45 and 3:00pm.

Great place to get started

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Training and work life balance

Cons

Salary and Working weekends is not always great

Be proactive and look to other non profits for ideas.

Hard work, but the best work

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Best group of people you'll ever interact with.
    Great training and real world experience.

Cons

You're there for 8.5 weeks straight.
    Very top-heavy leadership.

Camp Wolfeboro Staff

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Arnold, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Arnold, CA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

An incredible opportunity to spend a summer in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Great staff spirit and camp traditions keep it one of the best in the area despite its occasional lack of resources. Great opportunity to learn working skills and personal responsibility as a student.

Cons

The camp is limited primarily by its budget. Buildings are aging (can be seen as a good thing). Pay is reasonable but not incredible.

Keep up the good work.

Stressful District Executive Lifestyle

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunity to contribute to a program that prepares young men for the real world. Get to play a role in the creation of scout units, summer day camp, yearly popcorn fundraiser, and actually "see" the results of your effort. Opportunities to hone public speaking and sales skills.

Cons

Work/Life balance if you are planning on having a life outside of work. During Friends of Scouting (council fundraising) season and school recruitment expect 80+ hour work weeks with events on weekends. If your council is struggling it will be extremely difficult to make the money and manpower quotas imposed on you. Cold calling for donations. Must stay in your current position for a minimum of 3 years before being eligible for promotion to Senior District Executive, where you will do the same thing for another 3 years. Low pay for the hours.

Like all service organizations, the BSA is struggling with a decline in membership and funding. Be willing to support new District Executives by providing them the tools to be effective.

Best place to work and meet new people and friends I would defiantly recommend working for the Dining Hall great bosses

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Cimarron, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Cimarron, NM (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hours are great you get to hike for free and a great view of the mountains great people to work with and awesome bosses

Cons

The pay is not too bad

District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Culture, build network, flexibility, self manager

Cons

Too many responsibilities to juggle, low pay, good Ol' boy philosophy, no work life/job balance

Learn to lead

Your Mileage May Vary

Former Employee - District Executive in Findlay, OH (US)
    Former Employee - District Executive in Findlay, OH (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The BSA can be a great organization to work for. Many great interactions with volunteers and Scouts alike. Programs are fun to run and some people truly appreciate the work you do, and will let you know it.
    This all depends on where you work, of course, and the situation of your territory.
    The training at the National headquarters in Texas is top-notch. If you are in the right area, advancement may happen quickly.

Cons

Long Hours, Minimal Vacation. You are pretty much always "On Call". Even when I was on one of my 12 (never consecutive) vacation days per year, I would get calls from my boss to take care of things. Newer technologies (smartphones, Skype) make the leash even shorter.
    Management varies wildly. My experience was fraught with micro-management and being given no track for advancement or transfer to a different council once the regime changed.
    When you go to training in Texas, you meet other District Executives from all over the country. I got to see my fellows promoted and supported in ways that our council just didn't do.

Some managers are amazing. When I started with the BSA in Ohio, we had a Scout Executive who was all about recruitment and putting on good programs. "Get the kids in the door with a promise of good programming and then deliver" would sum up what was most important to him.
    After 6 months, that Exec retired and we got in a new one totally focused on Finance. This sounded great to the Board, but things went poorly after that. Nearly the entire staff, including some 5-10 year veterans, was turned over. Making money was the primary focus. We didn't hit membership targets, camp enrollment suffered, and surprise! We lost money. After one camp season there was a $50,000 deficit, and we happened to have an Field Director who was suddenly superfluous. She was unceremoniously cut, just like the rest of us.
    Well, the Districts lost money. Due to the SE schmoozing with the industries throughout the territory, the central council campaign did well on paper, which was enough to get this SE promoted out of our Council.
    My position was eliminated (along with several others) to create 4-county super Districts as a cost cutting measure. None of the subsequent District Execs in that District last long; there are just too many dashboard hours and too many volunteers to try and keep happy. The volunteers are unhappy anyway, because they now have to travel across two counties to get to district events.
    Be like my first SE. Recruit and keep them coming back with solid programming, and the money will follow.
    Play a numbers game and everyone loses.

Boy Scouts of America Photos