Boys Town Reviews

Updated 24 July 2014

3.6

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Non-profits often have problems, but this ones better than most.

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for a half-dozen social service/non-profits and Boys Town has some of the most sincere and genuine staff I've had the pleasure to . For non-profit work their compensation is ample, with matching percentages for retirement plans, good vacation time (which only gets better the longer you work for them), and insurance options.

In general, management is very supportive and desires the best for their employees and the communities we serve.

Cons

My major griefs are the frequency of meetings (which often require coming in on days off for shift workers), the initial lack of sick leave, and that the job is both demanding and occasionally tedious (though that would not be different working for any other company).

Additionally, while not technically Catholic, a lot of their policies reflect specifically Catholic beliefs (the health insurance doesn't cover birth control).

I understand how the Catholic roots influence your policies on birth control and homosexuality, but it's archaic and a turn off to many potential employees. Can you really hope to get the best workers if you still practice discrimination?

I have worked for Boys Town for almost 10 years.

Current Employee - Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company believes in their mission from the top to the bottom. They truly believe in changing the way america cares for children and families. They have a lot of research to support their model of care. The compensation is competitive and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

They are always wanting more and not considerate of your personal life and health. The management recognizes the negative behavior, but does not use positive reinforcement. They have no sense of the amount of stress and emotionally draining working with youth 24/7 does.

Reward positive behavior and encourage personal growth. Encourage opportunities to have a work-life balance that encourages personal growth.

Family Consultant

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

Cons

The work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Keep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Current Employee - Family Consultant  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros

Boys Town provides an overall experience helping children and families. Staff are dedicated to putting children's services and needs first. Boys Town also provides you with a lot of information to start doing your job.

Cons

Not much room to move up the company ladder. There is a lot of stress when it comes to being an employee working with youth and families. There are a lot of times that I feel that management was not empathetic to the situation that one was in.

Be more empathetic to employee's needs. Help Employees with their growth rather than just focusing on outcomes of children.

disappointing, not the job that was described at the interview

Former Employee - Family Teacher  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Family Teacher in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

The kids that you are able to make an impact on give you hope. The benefits are good. You meet all kinds of kids who need guidance.

Cons

The management and their lack of support. The kids that are admitted on drugs. The 17 hour days everyday without help. The kids with criminal records are sometimes harder to reach.

Need to offer more support to employees.

I had three different directors, and all were the same.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The youth, benefits from the start.

Cons

Management management management. I'm not a disgruntled employee who was fired and just complaining to complain. I am a current employee going on three years who has done well within the organization. I stay for the kids and the experience. Directors and managers are beyond rigid. The entire model revolves around positive reinforcement, empathy and praise. The two programs I've worked in couldn't be worse about those three things. The model isn't made to be rigid; it only works if each employee is allowed to be themselves while teaching, verses being a robot that the kids don't respect. Problem is, management is never there to actually observe...they rely on looking at your teaching interactions on paper and go off ratios. They have absolutely no skills when it comes to using positive reinforcement with their employees either. They only give feedback when it's something you're doing wrong. I'll stop here because I could go forever...oh and pay is NOT GOOD.

Act like you actually care if we were to stay or go and listen and accept our feedback for once. Also, pay is awful for the hours and stress involved.

If you can manage stress with extending a helping hand this is your Organization

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits; Helping Youth Children and Families.

Cons

Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program.

LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF….

The most rewarding position I have ever had!

Former Employee - Family Teacher Couple  in  Boys Town, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Family Teacher Couple in Boys Town, NE (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

Pros

It takes a village and your colleagues are there for you 100%.

Cons

This is a 24/7 position.

They did everything right. They told us it was a 24/7 hour position, and we thought we could work 24/7 but found out that we could not.

Boys Town is an amazing place to work! Family friendly, faith based and mission driven are key components.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits; great atmosphere; competitive pay; excellent leadership

Cons

Parking can be tricky during training

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!