Bridgepoint Education

Updated 26 August 2014

2.7

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them (in 6 reviews)

• Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Leadership is has no plans to share direction and you are alone for the ride.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some educational benefits to working at Bridgepoint. The IT environment is robust in comparison to other companies in the San Diego area.

Cons

The IT leadership is generally clueless about where we are going as a department. They have claimed to be out of business decisions publicly. This means that the executive staff does not think about impact to the IT department before making decisions and the IT leadership doesn't interject until the money is spent and the project is rolling. All in all, IT is always the loser in the fight and made to look like the failures.

Take control of the department and force groups to move in the same direction.

Bad culture but great experience

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Met great friends and learned how to be in a tough sales environment

Cons

Poor upper management team, don't care about their people, terrible culture and like a boiler room

Student Dispute Resolution Center

Current Employee - Student Dispute Resolution Specialist  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Dispute Resolution Specialist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is starting to focus on employee retention. I enjoy my co-workers and the company takes social responsibility very serious.

Cons

There are not many positions available to promote. The company needs to focus on hiring more people so the current employees are not over worked. This will allow employees to produce quality work, which will in turn make the student more successful.

Hire more people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telemarketing Company in Disguise

Former Employee - Military Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Military Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, great working hours (M-F). You have your own cubical and can decorate it how every you choose. Good tuition program for employees.

Cons

You are a telemarketer, not a counselor. You have to meet a quota or you will get fired. Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment. Very difficult to transfer out of the Admissions Department.

Set a better example. If you know that a counselor has great potential, give him/her a better opportunity by recommending them for other positions.

Ups and Downs, but Headed in Wrong Direction

Former Employee - IT Director  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Director in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many work teams are able form strong bonds, have fun - it all depends on the manager, Director, VP of the particular area.
    Will cover 100% of tuition for bachelors or masters if at their schools.

Cons

Some really bad individual management makes it awful for certain team - be sure to interview them as much as they interview you.
    Salaries are low compared to industry (have not increased in years)
    CEO was awarded title of "greediest CEO in America" a few years back - rightly so. While there are layoffs and low staff salaries, he earns $20-25 million per year. (At a company whose total revenue is around $800million! Totally unacceptable)

Get CEO and top exec salaries in line with reasonable numbers for a company no longer growing rapidly. That alone would vastly improve profitability and share price. Exec salary, distractions (like the current HR lawsuits), and lack of leadership now that company is beyond startup mode are stifling its potential.

Garbage Place to Work For

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor/Student Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor/Student Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The environment and the people you work with can be great.

Cons

Some managers suck at their job. Upper management never knows what they're doing. Constant change and inconsistency with policies can add stress to the job.

Wake up because you are losing valuable employees. Andrew Clark stop being so greedy and give back to your employees who work hard to fill your pockets.

fun environment but shaky future

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Vacation time
    cafeteria on site
    fun co-workers

Cons

low salary
    decrease in employee engagement activities

Sad to see such a great place go downhill

Former Employee - BTS  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - BTS in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for BPE for 5 years. The earlier years were amazing even if a bit dysfunctional at times. There was better community, camaraderie, team work, an air of cooperation, and a true desire to become better at all we did. We may not have always achieved doing a specific process better but we tried and were truly interested in improving. The team events in the department were phenomenal! We felt like a community and had events that encouraged that we be connected. I had true friends I will carry on into my other positions. We protected and looked out for each other. That all started to change when we went public.

Cons

After going public, the senior management and C-level folks made the priority the shareholders, not doing the right thing for the company or the business. Because of that the company work environment went downhill. Morale took a hit. BTS in particular kept thinking the answer to fixing all our business problems was to keep reorganizing. They would wait 6 months, then reorganize again, never letting us settle into something constructive and productive. Our efficiency kept dropping as did the desire to work as a team. The only reason I stayed for the last year was my love of the people I worked with, and second was the desire to stay in a job I had verses going in search of one.

Then we had the first major layoff in January 2012. It was the single most horrible experience in over 20 years of working I have ever experienced. I wasn't laid off but many of my friends were. And they were treated so inhumanely it ended up being a traumatic experience rather than a manageable one. Not that it would have been easy no matter what, but seeing people treated as if they were a number, a criminal or simply didn't matter was just horrible. Then I saw about 100 people leave after the fact...just from BTS. It was hard to be motivated to work for a company that no longer had any desire to be loyal to its own people.

The benefits slowly are being whittled away so that more of the expense is picked up by the employee and the quality of the benefit is going down. Because BPE had to become more fiscally responsible (and they certainly needed to do so), the team events were cut back drastically. While that makes sense, they could have been replaced with less expensive things, like a day out at the park, potlucks, or other things like that. I didn't expect my employer to pick up the tab for everything. I can contribute. As a matter of fact, people tend to take ownership and have pride in what they directly contribute to.

And BTS' senior management does a very poor job with strategic planning. And there is no excuse for it. Planning and execution should have been their primary job. And they failed to do so every year. This last year was the closest and it was still poorly structured. And forget communicating it. What was thought about stayed in the management meetings and never went any further. Poor communication and poor execution.

See the cons...strategic planning, communication and execution. Take some classes and learn how to do that. Most of you are simply poor at it. I really think Andrew Clark is more interested in his bonus than in his company and what he started it for. $12 million in bonuses to date this year. I would have given it back given how many people have had to be cut. And we really couldn't afford to cut in BTS. And figure out how to encourage team work without spending a lot of money. It's possible to do. I did it while there and tried to do so as an example of what could be done. You're leaders...lead.

Company is in turmoil.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Education benefit, healthcare benefits, people are great to work with

Cons

Company is in turmoil, silo mentality, departments do not share information, CEO and senior management are not visible, managers are inexperienced and not mentored.

Focus on long term goals and culture of the organization. Show appreciation for employees and start communicating with all levels of staff. Be more visible.

CEO running company into the ground

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In general the employees are good people who you'd be happy to work/socialize with.

Cons

The CEO is making decisions just to save his job, and not helping the company move forward in any one of a dozen directions that it could be going in.

* 10% Annual RIF
    * Budget cuts
    * Training budgets removed

Fire the CEO and bring in someone who can give this company direction again.

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!