Brinker

Brinker Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times (in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Has gone from "work hard, play hard" to just "work hard". No one "Play's Restaurant" any more.

ProsAlthough there has been a lot of turnover, there are still phenomenal people at Brinker. I very much enjoy working with them every day and moving the business forward.

ConsMore and more of the new people in the company embody the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. While driving for some monthly result, they drive over coworkers. Several months of this sort of behavior has taken its toll, creating more and more of an "us vs. them" attitude. Brinker is losing its family unity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe focus on listening to the managers and flattening communication with the field has been great. There is no reason that we had to stop doing the same at the Home Office. The Home Office is smaller than ever, yet the casual face-to-face with leadership is at an all-time low.

They were very impersonal with "lower level" employees

ProsThey have sporting events for all employees to participate in.

ConsThey're a huge corporation who can't remember someone's name.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet server's wear better clothes.

Relationship-oriented company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsCasual dress - flip flops, shorts, tank tops are normal
    Food/beverage connection - 100% discount at chili's, 50% at Maggiano's; there's always food around; company events often include margaritas, beer, etc.
    Work/life - flexible hours; often see kids or dogs in office; on-campus gym
    Relationship-oriented - collaboration culture; building relationships is crucial to success; CEO Doug Brooks sets great example, knows literally every employees' name

ConsPublic company - mood of company is tied to performance; more pressure if sales are down
    Food connection - "The Brinker 20" is real
    Large company - culture sometimes feels small, but usually hierarchical and slow in making decisions because have to check off and include everybody
    Inconsistent leadership examples - Maggiano's president has great personality and very personable, Chili's president is dry, not approachable, intimidating

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep culture and fun going even if sales are down
    Find ways to get decisions made more quickly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe best restaurant concept I have worked for.

ConsIts a restaurant it can get old.

Server

Chili Head (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThere were no pros to ths job

ConsExploitation. taking advantage of. all things they specialize in...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an education...then criticize your employees.

Chilis

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat Culture, great people, great tradition, great reputation, job security,

ConsMore and More is put on your plate with tighter regulations and restrictions. Recognition not what it used be for loyal and tenured employees. Doing a great job in a particular area only brings higher expectations for the next year until you are bound to fail.

Money was great

Bartender (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to move up within restaurant quickly.
    Money was great
    Fun atmosphere

ConsConstant changes within menu and policies
    No sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep on the same page

Nothing new at Chili's

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsMid level management and below you'll find great, smart people who are willing to help you out.

ConsCross functional team dynamics are below par. Company fosters an us vs. them mentality between teams.
    Senior management willing to rest on laurels and often finds themselves behind the curve vs. competition.
    Difficult for innovative ideas to bubble to the top...more willingness to try what competitors have had success with rather than be first out of the gate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's okay to be first...don't be afraid to step out alone. Second place is last place...and Chili's is approaching third place among it's competitive set.

Disappointing

Bar Tender (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, ability to make good tips and meet new people.

ConsCorporate does not value longtime employees. Management is constantly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from putting food into Infrared warmers. Make food fresh ready to order. Focus on building regular customers instead of turning tables.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful benefits programs. Excellent life work balance. Great leadership and managers focused on employee growth and retention. Great corp culture and traditions.

ConsTrouble finding their brand identity currently. Quick sweeping decisions that are not the best choices in today's hard economic environment.

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!