Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great(in 13 reviews)

• Get to make a difference in the lives of the elderly every day(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities(in 28 reviews)

• There is little to no job security and they operate mainly on fear(in 8 reviews)

Poor communication throughout the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsWork/life balance is OK. Time-off policies seem to fair for the most part. The company does seem to be geared toward folks that have families, which is nice for those that have them.

ConsPoor communication throughout the company. Poor synergy between departments. It would also be nice if the salaries kept up with industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and apply the values that you advertise to your potential customers to your current residents and current employees. Communicate better with your employees. Do what you say you're going to do.

If you are a person who requires closure and job satisfaction this company is not for you.

Community Management (Current Employee)

ProsPay & benefits are comparable to others in the industry. The management team at my community are the only reason why I have stayed at my job. They are a hardworking, dependable team, that work long hours to try to do a job that is not humanly possible for anyone to do.

ConsThe company has changed since Bill Sheriff left as CEO. Last year a new policy was put in effect that if the employees covered under the company health insurance plan did not complete a biometric screening by a certain date, they would not be able to have health insurance benefits for an entire year. Unfortunately this affected some of the front line staff, who did not understand the consequences until it was too late. Instead of rewarding the employees for completing the screening, Brookdale took the negative approach and punished the associates by taking away their health insurance benefits. This kind of policy gives and employee the feeling they are not cared about as a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of micromanaging the community management team, you need to act as the support team you were set up to be. You have hired professionals to run your communities and it is insulting that you are not giving them a chance to do their jobs. Take care of your community staff as they are the heart of this company!

Horrible Experience

Sales and Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsToday I can't think of anything nice to say except about the few people I worked with who were very nice.

ConsI would have to work about 60 hours per week to meet the expectations that were given to me. There was a zero chance for success. I had an ED that lied in meetings while looking straight at me. She denied giving me direction to do something in front of her RDO. I was scared and horrified.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back and read the Mission Statement and Cornerstones. Focus on care instead of new technology. Clean your buildings and remove odors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Amazing Support

ProsSupport on multiple levels from Corporate, through Fellow Managers

ConsLong hours at times. If you don't like reporting, might not be right for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a market rate analysis

Training sucks here for therapists!

Therapy (Current Employee)

ProsThe patients complain on how they get nickel and dimed to death! Even if they are sick family members cannot go down to pick up food for them!

ConsNo training provided with the platforms they are utilizing to write notes! Pay is NOT commensurate with experience! Medicare A is over utilized for patients that are NOT homebound! Middle management might as well be high school students as they have no training in how to manage people and constantly flip flop on rules i.e. 10 hr work days or inconsistent caseloads or CEUs or for that matter ordering supplies! BTW taking out the trash and cleaning bathrooms while not a part of our job description will be performed! If your hurting for work as a therapist go somewhere else like Aegis!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get some training on how to manage us minions!!

Friendly staff members, residents and family members are very nice.

Aid (Current Employee) Elizabeth City, NC (US)

ProsHaving the opportunity to meet new employees. Having the ability to bond a trusting relationship with the residents and family members.

ConsPay, false information given to people. Not feeling appreciated. Lack of staff, but the same amount of work load. Many resident's should be placed in nursing homes, not assisted living.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff more. Stop listening to he say she say.

Title of Position was not even remotely accurate in describing the responsibilities.

Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsInteracting with and helping to care for Seniors. Helping them to improve their "Quality of Life".

ConsPoorly managed in every department, high employee turnover, lack of autonomy for any role to perform their duties without being "micro-managed".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you got rid of half of the managers, the company would still run better than it is now. There are way too many Chiefs and not nearly enough Indians.
    Spend more time talking with your employees to pro-actively allow internal issues to be addressed.Do not just pop into a community for photo opportunities and Directors meetings.

none

Prosnone the job is good but it is a little confusing about job titles and what my job title actually is.

ConsI like working with people and the responsibilities I have taken on at brookdale senior living in lisle Illinois.

Sales Manager

Sales (Former Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, great management staff, good work environment

Conswatch your back, you just never know who is friend or who is foe

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move.”

Too many Cheifs and no Indians!

Corporate (Current Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsStill wondering why I am still here

Consplenty of cheifs and no indians

Advice to Senior ManagementHire other Managers

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!