www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • I work with some great people and the Residents are great (in 13 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 31 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Rollercoaster

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The floor staff and residents were wonderful

Cons

Going on maternity leave? Forget about getting your full time hours back!!

Treated Like Trash...kicked to the curb!

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better than nothing, if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

I was a respected regional leader one day I received an email saying they "didn't need me anymore". I was fired from my position through an email. I was treated like a piece of trash. No performance review and no explanation. I can only believe my firing was part of the need to eliminate leaders to make room for the incompetent Emeritus leaders joining Brookdale. Now that I am gone, I keep hearing from more and more leaders, they are being terminated or asked to leave to make room for the very leaders that messed up Emeritus.

Read these reviews carefully. Brookdale's name should be changed, as it is not the company I joined or once was. All of these employees you've treated badly are your potential customers and referral sources. I will never refer anyone to Brookdale again.

Without a doubt the worst experience working for a company in my life

Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for this company is that they will hire anybody and I mean anybody. No experience necessary or training they will literary train you in the facility. So if you are completely desperate and need to pay bills to avoid evictions or you need to put food on the table to feed your family and looking for a place with no standards come on board.

Cons

The challenges of this company are they will tell you, you are going to be full time but then you come in and notice you are on a part time schedule with no benefits and basically working as needed, meaning it might be one day one week and as much as seven days the next. The associates are completely dissatisfied and they should be they are doing the work of three different departments in a normal facility including housekeeping, laundry, and dining room on top of the already difficult task of being a CNA and working with residents that could easily go for skilled care versus assisted and how much does this company pay their resident care associates 9.00 an hour with out any shift diff for second or third shift. This is not coming from a resentful employee who has been fired, I more than voluntarily quit no I just want to save you the trouble if you are considering employment and want to point out this company does not care about the residents they care for or their staff .Don't believe me see it for yourself I dare you ask to volunteer one day and look at the state of some of the rooms those residents stay in.

My advice to upper management is that you can sit here and come up with these mission statements and goals and even make the staff recite them every morning like the national anthem in school but if you are not going to live up to them then what is the point? They are just words either give these residents the care they deserve or shut this company down but I know you will not do it taking those vacations is more important in your eyes than providing the care you promised these people.

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Marketing in Brentwood, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Brentwood, TN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the most part, great people, at least in my department.

Cons

Terrible corporate culture. Political games and daily drama. Greedy, top-heavy culture, heavily silod where c-level gets everything. Lacks integrity.

Culture, compensation, consideration.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

They offer amazing quality of food, quality of life, you can tell they really care for the residents. They spend the money on the residents and activities for them. The only ALF or nursing home I've seen where the employees eat the food, all others I've seen the food is so horrible, processed crap that no one dares try it. Private rooms with carpet and furniture from home makes each room feel like the resident's home. If you have CNA training or emt or similar, they pay you more.

Cons

Working with end stage dementia patients, without hoyer lifts, meaning you have to find a way to lift them without machines.

Not good at all...

Former Employee - Resident Assistant
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the relationships I formed with the elderly residents I cared for. Everything else was miserable.

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible schedule and lack of hours, no one takes responsibility for their actions, you are expected to do too much work for the time they give you.

Care staff is not paid enough for what the endure on the job, therefore there is insane turnover. This is not healthy for the residents. It would be nice if management cared about their employees and valued them.

AWEFUL!!

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The chef's in the kitchen are dedicated and the food served to the residents is great!

Cons

The "inner circle" management team are conniving and deceitful. They run off any good help that is not in their "click." Resident Mananger is paranoid, hateful and likes to set people up to fail. She kept a maintenance man on staff, even when she knew he was heading to prison.

You need to provide "exit interviews" to fully understand what is going on in your communities and especially look deep into your executive staff in management positions. If a community is experiencing a large turn over of staff, dig deep and find out why.

It's not what you know, but who you know, incompetence at its finest!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

None None None None

Cons

Incompetent management. Unethical and fraudulent practices in home health. If you speak up, you are forced out, many people leave because of this. No orientation program, clinicians given device and expected to know job within 40 hours. Clinicians are forced to work additional hours to get job done without pay, thus the reason why Brookdale does pay per visit!!!

Hire people that are qualified to run regions and know home health, outpatient therapists should not be running home health!!! Invest in a real orientation program.

Brookdale promotes integrity, wow what a joke

Current Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None at this time, so sad.

Cons

The ED run the community based on her beliefs and not on brookdale,s mission statement. It is the way of the ED or u can hit the highway. You are demanded to do everything from housekeeping to providing care to resident for such low raises. You're concerns are never address and if u even think to contact the corp level, retaliation will follow. This is an awful place to work, which is so sad because before the new ED came it was great.Now its all about the money. Put the money first and hope the residents are taking care of.

Newest Executive director was a dictator spawned from Hell !

Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Georgetown, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Georgetown, TX (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The old staff and of course the residents.

Cons

The lack of compassion for staff and residents, the way staff is under paid, The excutive director and corp love to milk the residents for all they have it seems, under staffed, under paid, the food quality is horrible what the residents are forced to eat, they pay a lot and should be fed well, The Executive Director Is the worst anyone has seen, She is a pompus dictator, and only cares about impressing her bosses,

Get rid of The Excutive Director, pay the staff better, feed the residents better

Brookdale Senior Living Photos