Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
608 reviews filtered by

Business concept for elderly care

Current Employee - Nurse in Seminole, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Seminole, FL (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work here is to fulfill desire to help the elderly, be an advocate for those who can no longer make decisions for them selves.

Cons

Large corporation making numerous acquisitions is loosing sight of the mission statement in an effort to please stock holders.

Advice to Management

Focus on patient care and value your employees. The bottom profit line should also include life enrichment of helping your residents.

Dissatisfied with support & benefits.

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Caring for & getting to know residents & families

Cons

Leadership & support. Very poor pay for job expectations. Benefits are poor.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to & investigate problems thoroughly. Offer higher pay

3. Preferred working for Emeritus....Brookdale is all about the money. The residents are an after thought.

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Loved the families and residents at the community.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. All about profits. Uncaring that all residents/ families are different. They have forgotten that we are dealing with people.

5. Unorganized, extremely stressful position. Unrealistic expectations. Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate Specialist in Brentwood, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Specialist in Brentwood, TN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Co-workers were very helpful and always willing to help.

Cons

Management is not helpful. Amount of workload to be completed each day is very unrealistic, especially for the pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's practical advice. Employees should not have to watch their back for 8 hours a day! Exhausting!

Good company but high employee turnover

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

good salary, flexible schedule,good benefits

Cons

high employee turnover, lack of orientation,poor management

7. Emeritus so much better said to see it go.

Former Employee - Line Staff in Granger, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Line Staff in Granger, IN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Bigger is not better. Line staff care

Cons

Promises not kept.Not impressed with new company.raise rent cost and residents get less. Families not kept in the loop

Advice to Management

Better management .communication with staff and families

8. Good people, great product before we were purchased. Then it all fell apart. I felt so sorry for the residents.

Current Employee - Dining Service Director
    Current Employee - Dining Service Director

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

My department staff was exceptional and well motivated, the residents knew we were there for them and our answer was always yes.

Cons

Bought by Brookdale and all our responses were to be NO from that point forward. Employees who had been taking care of our residents for years were terminated with new background check that went back as far as 30 years. We were all threatened by all levels of management as a "motivator".

Advice to Management

shut up! Let the flow go up, just a little and see where that gets you. The FSD was the lowest paid manager and worked every holiday with no compensation.

Awesome job, awesome company

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everything is a "Pro" in this company with the exception of "Cons" listed below.

Cons

Previous Executive Directors were great to work with except my last one who was a big hiring mistake. Should have never been hired based on not being a person that would fit into the Brookdale culture. This person was not trusted by residents or associates.

Advice to Management

I believe in the Targeted Selection process however, this person was selected just prior to using the process. Make sure that your prospective Executive Directors fit the Brookdale culture and share the same mission, vision and values.

LOVE the Residents and the atmosphere of the community but the crappy pay and crappier hours make this job difficult.

Current Freelancer - Caregiver
    Current Freelancer - Caregiver

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents and the bonds you can form with them; coworkers are usually friendly and nice to be around; *free meals provided in the dining room; very nice atmosphere to work in. I would say, without a doubt, that working with the residents is the main reason I can say that I LOVE my job.

Cons

A few coworkers are not so nice to be around, as to be expected anywhere. Very limited window of time to get your "free meals" in the dining room - which caregiver schedules never seem to coincide with. Employees given "promotions" which equal to more responsibility with new job titles but no extra pay included - they really will try to squeeze as much as they can out of you for as little as you let them (guilty!). Currently Brookdale only hires PRN status caregivers instead of PT or FT - so caregivers have absolutely NO access to company benefits like medical/dental or tuition reimbursement, etc. Schedule preferences are hardly ever taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Please focus on your more "excellent" employees and make sure they are being appreciated and paid what they are worth to you - otherwise they won't last. If you really want to provide the high-quality care that your residents expect to receive and pay for, then you must rethink the wages/benefits being offered (or rather, not being offered) to the non-management employees. The wage levels being paid that I know about would apply to awful-mediocre employees, at best. I'm personally already looking elsewhere. I also haven't had one single weekend (Sat/Sun) off since I started even though other caregivers refuse to work any weekends - it's really not fair.

11. Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents were great. The pay was good. The concept of the business was positive.

Cons

Brookdale tends to keep the worse people for the position and get rid of the good people. upon arrival at my community, their was a convicted felon working on the property. Brookdale allows associates to brag about committing state and federal crimes and refuses to investigate the associates. Executive Directors are allowed to do as they please and not abide by the laws of the state.

Advice to Management

Start listening to front line and management staff about what is really going on in the community. do not trust Regional Directors. They talk about how they can stop complaints at their level so it would not go up the ladder.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos