Burger King Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
Updated 24 October 2014
2.7

Daniel Schwartz

Pros
  • You meet some nice coworkers, depending on your manager you get free food when you work (in 41 reviews)

• Opportunity to gain great experience in a fast paced environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • no work-life balance, extreme amount of work due to lack of people (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours for managers, usually either very early morning or very late nights (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay

Current Employee - Cook/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cook/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to meet people and hours are flexible. Good if you are a high school student or trying to make extra cash.

Cons

No compensation for hard work. There are no career advancement opportunities. Managers can be mean and disrespectful at times.

Take care of your employees. If you take care of your employees and treat them right turnover will decrease.

Leadership Development Intern

Former Employee - Leadership Development Corporate in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Corporate in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Burger King as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great salary
    -Some great and engaging coworkers
    -Direct communication with upper management

The younger coworkers are extremely helpful and fun to be around. The upper management, on the other hand, all come from Wall Street, so that can create some clashes in the workplace.

Cons

-Ridiculous job expectations
    -Leadership is often subpar and very unhelpful
    -Way too much focus on financial aspects of the brand instead of focusing on the image
    -Absolutely zero work-life balance

As mentioned above, the upper management all come from Wall Street and/or Brazil, so the corporate culture is very different here. Expect to work 65+ hours a week, with some of that time doing completely demeaning and pointless tasks.

Give us clearer directions and make the work-life balance actually existent.

It's a special kind of hell

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of interesting positions. Recent college grads get experience that they wouldn't be able to get at most other companies. There is no better place to jump start your career.

While I often get frustrated with the job and have a long list of complaints, it is difficult for me to imagine working somewhere else.

There is a very strong and consistent culture, and management is very aware of what the culture is. If it fits you, you will thrive. The culture is not going to change as long as 3g is in control.

If you get an offer as a management trainee or LDP, you have great opportunities to learn. Other companies recognize the caliber of recruiting at BK and take advantage of it. If you are terminated or decide to leave, you have plenty of options. I have had 2-3 companies reaching out to me each week on linkedin or calling me for the last 9 months. I interviewed with a couple and those companies offered me a 30% increase in salary.

If you're willing to work for the long haul, you have great opportunities, but see below.

Cons

It is a very challenging place to work:
    * You are expected to work 70+ hour weeks. Some departments are more lenient, but some of us have been lectured for "not putting in enough time" in weeks with only 60-65 hours.
    * Starting compensation is terrible. While management trainees have the opportunity to get raises and move up quickly, it will still take 2-3 years to reach salaries of other competitors.
    * There is now a "waiting period" for management trainees to get promotions of 1 year. This makes meritocracy a joke.
    * They are very clear that there is no work life balance. Even if you go on vacation, you have to have your laptop and phone with you at all times. The company is very lean, so there is no backup if you are out of the office.
    * There are "engagement surveys" that are ignored. The magic solution to a lack of communication between departments (caused by departments competing against each other) was a newsletter that only covers HR topics and has a list of birthdays. Seriously.
    * The HR department is not on your side. If you go to them with issues, you will likely be terminated for not fitting the culture.
    * There is a great concept of ZBB (Zero Based Budgeting) where everyone has ownership for budgets and is expected to control costs for the company. This is great in theory, but there is one EVP who grants exceptions on a regular basis. This creates budget inequity between departments and devalues the efforts of those who can actually manage a budget.
    * During recruiting, BK sells how transparent and engaged the EVPs are. Unless you sit on the 7th floor, you won't ever see them.
    * BK hires people that it expects to survive. That means you get tough, analytical, intelligent, competitive people. These are great people. They are very effective at their jobs and have very high potential. With that said, do not expect to have nice coworkers. They never survive.
    * You will burn out. Everybody has limits, and BK doesn't care. Everybody is expendable.
    * As many people have mentioned on here, you need to be Brazilian, speak Portuguese, or be somehow tied in with 3G to move up quickly.
    * Most people get most or all of their target bonuses. This is done by negotiating with the people who report the metrics, not by achieving goals.
    * You may have a boss who asks you to do things that make you feel uncomfortable - modifying numbers, falsifying reports, running projects that could have severe consequences, etc. If this happens to you, RUN. You can not speak to HR about it, or you will be terminated for not being willing to take risks. If you stay and something goes wrong, which is frequent, you will be scapegoated. I have seen 6 people terminated for this in the past year, and those are only the ones i know of. There are several departments that are known for doing this. Nothing will land you in jail, but the ethics are still lacking.
    * There is no training. The benefits for tuition reimbursement were removed. There is a program called BK University, but the focus is driven on a metric of classroom seats filled rather than the content, quality of content, and relevance of the class.

Take your engagement surveys seriously. People who understand and believe in the culture are telling you what needs to be fixed. Listen. Please listen. We slave for you, and then you ignore us. When we give you negative feedback, it is because we want to see you develop and get better. It's the same as when you give us negative feedback.

We want to be your slaves and move up, but you're making it difficult. Get some ethics and realize that you can make drastic improvements on morale without sacrificing the culture.

Despite all of my negative comments above, I still work at BK and still want to work at BK. Please do something to tell me that my efforts are valued.

Fun people ,horrible pay and no raises

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Delaware, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Delaware, OH (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got the promotion I've been wanting and the work is exciting and fast paced. Also the crew is fun to work with.

Cons

Not enough crew staffed for peak hours and/or closes. Raises very rare to come by.

Successful people build each other up unsuccessful people break each other down.

Very busy and illegal use of no break because there's not even people.

Current Employee - Team Member in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been there for a year. Its my first job.

Cons

The people and the change of coworkers even mangers

Have someone come help instead of that one visit every once in awhile. One who doesn't server frozen lettuce to a guest.

Great

Current Employee - Crew Member in Escalon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Escalon, CA (US)

I have been working at Burger King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gives you the opportunity to gain entry level experience

Cons

the pay is extremely low and the work very unpleasant

give free meals

A job for young people

Former Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Burger King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities inside the company. They train you on everything you want to lear inside the company. Most co workers are friendly.

Cons

You are under pressure all the time. Specially on rush hours. If you are not fast enough you will hear it from the senior management

Better pay.

Not worth it!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Burger King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

None only the fact that you get a little experience especially if it is your first job

Cons

Too many rude and picky customers , Fast paced, Low pay

Employee Satisfaction...Not Here

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Burger King full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're willing to ignore office decorum and work unbelievably long hours you can advance very quickly with little or no real experience. Its a great place for new college grads to work so they can learn how to avoid companies like this for the remainder of their career.

Cons

Everyone is treated as a commodity and BK IS your life. There is no care or concern for your job satisfaction as long as you are willing to do whatever you're told to do. Almost every timeline is close to impossible to meet and quantity of work is far more important than quality.

Learn to value employees and appreciate real contributions to the business.

Needs to come with a Warning label.

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, meet a lot of people.

Cons

Upper Management is dirty and will stab you in the back.

Treat your employees like you care.