Burlington Coat Factory

Burlington Coat Factory Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury

Tom Kingsbury

Pros:
  • "Mostly flexible schedule, co-workers are friendly"
    in 17 reviews
  • "yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "People slack a lot while others bust their butts for minimum wage"
    in 25 reviews
  • "There was literally no work/life balance with this company, regardless of your position"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Opportunity for those that want to make it an opportunity

Management (Former Employee)
Burlington, NJ (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced organization that has grown organically.
Career opportunities are plentiful
Emphasis on the merchant organization

ConsCulture takes is an acquired appetite
Structure detracts from agility
Difficult to understand overall direction
Can be overbearing at times

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more "true" value in the team members

very friendly and driven staff

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Prospay is great, people are friendly and knowledgeable.

Conscomputer system is outdated.....and most of the time is unusable

Advice to Senior Managementn/a n/a n/a n/a

Great Place To Work

Merchandise Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company itself is moving in a great direction from sales to quatlity of merchandise. Overall I believe the company keeps to its values and enjoys promoting from within.

ConsSometimes the lack of control the management has on their own store and mgt schedule can be hard to deal with. However, other than that its a good place to work.

A nice change of pace

MTA (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

ProsMy mgmt. team is very nice and I am learning many different things in the store. Attendance pts seem tough off the go and its actually good since they don't seem to tolerate lazy people. I worked for Target before and the DM never said one word to me. Our regional vice president came in and gave me a smiles card and actually engaged in conversation, nice to finally feel cared about in a company by more than just my store management. Hours are good and flexible so far, averaging 18 hours a week, but expect PT anyway.

ConsDoesn't seem easy to get FT work, but there's a lot of stores around us and my mgmt. said thy would let me know if something opens. Stores look kind of dingy in areas, there's new ones and older ones depending on where you're at.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm in business management as a major, seems like growth is very limited here. Unless someone leaves a FT role, not sure people will stay that long, A FT rec supervisor told me management never get promoted past a store, seems strange like how would you ever go to field management as a progression without leaving the company? I like it here, I came for hope to grow and it seems limited in scope, I also would need people to lose their jobs or quit for me to grow.

wonderful customer service

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Springfield, IL (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

ProsI really like my work life balance, i also enjoyed having the family discount cards.It was a great place to work

ConsI did not have any personal challenges while I was working for Burlington. I do feel that the job would be easier if the computers and thing were up to date.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that if the company prides them self on the company values it should be incorperated more then it is in some stores.

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Davie, FL (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are good discounts about four times per year.

ConsA few full time employees and totally part time. This is to escape paying benefits. Pay is below minimum wage in most cases. Long hours and poor leadership. The bottom line is the company's main concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training!

Just another minimum wage job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Arcadia, CA (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for more than a year

Pros- Connections with colleagues and supervisors
- No prior experience needed
- Decent discounts, workers get priority items
- Able to walk around sometimes (ie. help customers, stock stuff)

Cons- Very low pay
- Very low raises
- Not much opportunity to move up
- Fairly understaffed at most times
- Help won't always be there when you need it

Advice to Senior ManagementMainly an increase in wages and have more people work the floor as the store gets very messy day to day.

assistant buyer

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time

Prosfriendly people, time off, benefits

Consgrowth, leadership, benfits aren't good

High stress, not worth it.

Assistant Store Manager, Operations (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the associates I work with are fun to be around. The company pays its hourly associates weekly. They pay their salaried managers well.

ConsPayroll is an issue and scheduling changes often. It is very difficult for associates to make plans without their schedules changing mid week. Training is not a strong point. The operations position has too many responsibilities, it is the equivalent of the store manager responsibilities with only half the pay. Very high stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a better training and support program for your managers. Even the load between all of them and not put so much on the operations manager.

Typical retail bill paying job, not intended to make a career of this...

Receiving Manager (Former Employee)
Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for less than a year

ProsSet hours and time commitment, clear responsibilities, access to management. This was a good bill paying job and a resume enhancer, apart from that though there was not much else to benefit from dealing with inner city employees all day long.

ConsHaving support of subordinates. There was not a real clear defined career path within the organization. I was brought into the location to supervise problem children that ran the asylum and it was a difficult assignment from the start. As a result of insubordination and a lack of management support, I ended up resigning for a better opportunity with another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack your managers when dealing with challenging employees, and allow for more personal growth opportunities within the company.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burlington Coat Factory reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Burlington Coat Factory CEO Tom Kingsbury. All 352 reviews are posted anonymously by Burlington Coat Factory employees.