Burlington Coat Factory

Burlington Coat Factory Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury

Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics(in 7 reviews)

• Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted(in 29 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized(in 12 reviews)

I wouldnt mind goin back to burlington

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsEven tho all positions was part-time, you got full-time hours. Friendly supervisor, moved from the baby depot associate to the customer service desk supervisor in less then a month

ConsSome of the girls that worked here walked around like they was queen elizabeth like we all dont make the same amount, store was always a mess and disorganized, loss prevention SUCKED, manager never left the upstairs office,

Great place to Learn

Merchandise Planner (Former Employee) Burlington, NJ (US)

ProsLearn allot--good "school" to learn and move on

ConsLOW pay. better off leaving and then appling from out side to make more money on a promotion

Advice to Senior Managementto keep your developed talent--pay better when promoting

Was very hard working in a department that is ment to be a two person job but they have you doing it all by yourself

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsGet to see all the new stuff first so you can get to items before anyone else

ConsWhen you have to work by yourself in a two person department

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a department calls for two people, hire two people to work it & not just one because you see the one can do it all so why hire two when you can save $$$$

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Burlington was a great place to work!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Beaumont, TX (US)

ProsOrganized, easy to follow merchandising, empowered employees, district staff supportive and energetic. Great training for management. Not a stressful environment, pretty easy going. Customer Service is a priority. Great pay and benefits

ConsRecruiter and head of HR in region were not very nice people.

Decent part time job for students

Cashier Associate (Current Employee) Elizabeth, NJ (US)

ProsDecent Hours, helpful managers and supervisors, free food every now and then. Being a cashier isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The computer practically does all of the work for you. Within a few days you will get the hang of it. Hardest parts of my job are customers with shopping carts filled with items with security tags and items without ANY tags at all. Other then that this is a decent job for any college student lookings to make a little bit of money.

ConsRude customers every now and then but that is not a con on the company itself but rather the people who visit. Pay could be slightly better but beggers aren't choosers. CASH HANDLING, is probably the biggest con so far. They take accounting very seriously and will let you know if you are a few cents over or a few cents short. It is better to be over then to be under, trust me. At the end of the night you have to count all of the cash in your register and record it into the computer, print it out and give it to accounting who will verify the numbers to make sure everything is right. You only have to do this if you are closing the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice is to have someone with experience shadow the new associates for a few extra days after training so that they don't keep hassling you with a million questions about things that they didn't learn but need to do right then and there

BCF Review

Anonymous Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsIt's a good place to work if you can strictly think as a sales associate - you are here to work as one.
    Long good hours, STAY BUSY, get paid every Friday - not bi-weekly.
    Sales great designer products at a good price.
    Donations for coats to the less fortunate.
    Good organization and multitasking skills can be grown and developed working here.

ConsIt can get so busy that you lose track on the other important things like your customers. It can be easy to get side track.
    It's all about the sales and retail.
    If you put or bring anything (emotionally or mentally) to work, it will make you look bad and this is a warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould set a better environment to have your employees not only work better together but get better along.
    Set a system or guideline to better organize the floor layout.
    Better and more efficient scheduling system should be a 'Must-Do' for the company.

Always something to do!

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed the staff I worked with, turnover seemed a little high. There were always great deals for our shoppers, but there was always theft!!! I only worked for Burlington for 1 year and had to resign do to some medical issues I had at the time. I think that if I would have stayed, I would of been a Store Manager within the next year.

ConsManagement couldn't make any HR decisions. You always had to contact corporate and ask what should be done, wait for a response, then execute once direction is given. When your a manager you should be able to think for yourself and make the correct judgement for your store instead of waiting for someone else to pull your strings!

Advice to Senior ManagementLoved the company, but felt as if corporate was almost too involved in the everyday employee happenings! Also felt that our hands were tied in the merchandising aspect of running a store, I think the company would benefit by letting it's managers have more control of their own merchandise and displays!

Organized "unorganized" work environment

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Newark, DE (US)

ProsGood place to start learning how retail works(good,bad,and ugly). If you want to learn how to do different things ie. inventory, customer service) they like people who are well rounded and basically can do everything in the store. The people turn into your work family through tough times.

Consschedules are rarely negotiable. If you are part time during a slow season than you may only be working 3-6 hours a week. If you are a full-time associate you will be be working your max hours(doing everyone's jobs that they can't give hours out to because of budget)

Advice to Senior ManagementTime-management is a must. schedule needs to be balanced out for better operations. Money is low for entry level workers who really want to work.

Very good for management

ProsCompetitive pay for members of management

ConsLimited advancement, cherry picking who is trained rather than proven track record.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training, quality training

Fun, well oriented working environment with hard working staff

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Aurora, CO (US)

ProsGreat people to work with, good pay and great family deals. Staff gets great vacation time along with awesome benefits and is the best company for preferable merchandise.

ConsNot the best place to get a cold, it wouldn't match the positive vibe that the working staff has. It all sounds too good to be true but I sincerely enjoyed being one of Burlington's employees

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!