Burlington Coat Factory

Updated 17 September 2014
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics (in 7 reviews)

• Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted (in 29 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Treats you like family

Current Employee - Baby Depot Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Baby Depot Specialist in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my job in the baby depot department. When you know your stuff you will enjoy working there. With the right team that treats you like family. If you are having a bad day let them know and they will decide what is best for you. Or medical problems they will help you to try to be flexible so you can keep your job and do what you do best. Always communicate thats the best outcome you will get from your job or any job out there. There are always going to be ups and downs on a job its your choice on how you handle it.

Cons

Hours, lack of acknowledgement and recognition when handling customers the right way to make them feel welcomed to come back again by not saying thank you enough for all your hard work and dedication to make the store the best that it should be. Lack of communication to say this is what is going on in the store etc. Schedules are not easy to get there are times when its changed with or without your acknowledgement.

Employees are people too and have feelings. Communication is the best way to treat employees with respect and you will gain that back.

Different

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like meeting new people and new customers from around the world. I like the feeling that it is a family friendly work place and the coloring is nice for a cheap price plus your discount.

Cons

The management offs hard to deal with sometimes. They have strong personalities. And... IT'S RETAIL. Enough said on that. Retail.

Tat people how you want to be treated. Don't talk about them behind their backs and then expect them to RESPECT YOU.

Good group of coworkers

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Everybody help Ed each other

Cons

Have to clean up alot

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent entry level job

Current Employee - Allocator  in  Burlington, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Allocator in Burlington, NJ (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

As an hourly employee at corporate, we work 40 hours & go home. Once you learn the position & its intricacies, it is easy to do a good job.

If you are placed in the right department for you, you can have fantastic coworkers that really care about you and take a genuine interest in your life.

Burlington opens up more stores each season, the business is increasing.

Cons

Promotions are hard- highly based on the open position and the department - if a position does not exist in your department & that is your theoretical next career step, it is near impossible to be promoted.

It gets frustrating applying for promotions, not getting them, then being told you can't apply for more promotions for several more months.

Managers need more time for subordinates - though with the additional senior position added, it makes it easier to have questions answered.

It's a wonderful company to work for, but I am not getting enough hours. I am in need more work to make rent

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker  in  Carson City, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Carson City, NV (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are good, and the management are all very kind. I like the work I do.

Cons

Getting the management to allow me more hours

For the management team. I suggest allowing more time per person rather having too many employees

It was good while it lasted

Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier  in  McAllen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier in McAllen, TX (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get a lot of hours, more money.

Cons

I Didn't like the schedule times they were always different, sometimes unfair between employees
    Sometimes I felt very pressured having big lines at the register without any recognition after finishing the day.
    Sometimes when you work about 10 hours, you only get a 30 minute lunch.

Hired then left dry

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Newark, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Newark, NY (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

I wouldn't know they have nice clothes

Cons

They don't know their own policies

Make sure your hiring managers know who they can and can not hire

Little to no growth

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Morrow, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Morrow, GA (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for more than a year

Pros

The insurance and medical benefits you receive although aren't available to all associates. Friendly people and environment.

Cons

Very little to no growth so far as career advancement .

It was amazing at first but then after my manager, Chris, left it seemed to go downhill.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  North Richland Hills, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Richland Hills, TX (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Environment
    Great co-workers
    Amazing to meet new people daily

Cons

-I got promoted to full-time and never got a raise as others who had gotten the same did.
    -Short Staffed
    -No benefits unless FULL-Time

Watch the employees better and help them with there jobs if needed. Work with them on the scheduling especially if they've got a medical condition and/or kids.

Sales Clerk job training

Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Burlington is a good working experience. I did asked the supervisor to managed the shoes in the shoes department, arranged clothes and accessories at the men's department, and made a great teamwork by checking the price tag and placing size pins orderly.

Cons

When I was training at Burlington, I didn't get a chance to become a cashier because it's the easiest job to work for. However, I did see some flaws for this company which the co-workers do little amount of their job, so I decided to help them to finish the task on time. Finally, the company has more than two supervisors on different workdays which I'm confused who is the top supervisor, but they did support me for doing a great job on what they want to work for.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!