CBRE

CBRE Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic

Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired(in 23 reviews)

• Best in business for commercial real estate(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company(in 14 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks(in 18 reviews)

Significantly Underpaid - Unreasonable Expectations - No Opportunity For Growth

Assistant Real Estate Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe chance to work with institutional clients on a variety of assets.

ConsAssistant Manager in Orange County, CA: If you're experienced and motivated except to work 10+ hours a day; compensation is significantly below market rate; absolutely no defined scope of work and no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementA corporation is only as valuable as its leaders. Excessive workload combined with a submarket compensation package only drives away the talent which allows CBRE to be such a profitable entity. More importantly it jeopardises the integrity of the firm as a whole and puts the entire corporation at severe risk...

I am very lucky to work for CBRE. It provides people in my profession with opportunities to make differences globally.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany that focuses on my field. Many opportunities for service professionals.

ConsBecause you are embedded on an account, you have many leaders and sometimes opposing - you have your company and leadership, you have the regional leadership, as well as the customer. Regional leadership tends to allow silos on the account. This is good if you have a good leader, it is very very bad if you have an incompetent leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your Alliance Directors more carefully and listen to staff.

Hopeless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsCBRE China has a lot of potential and generally has one of the best platforms to work in real estate in the world. Additionally, the company has many helpful and talented professionals around the world.

ConsThis is a good company in most places except China. CBRE China has no culture and has a tendency to restructure every 3-5 years (which has been true since its founding in China) which usually ends with most of the businesses, decimated. It tries to manage China remotely through Hong Kong by buying the wrong talent at exorbitant prices. Arguably CBRE's senior management doesn't understand China at all. It is a horrible company to work for, for mid-management employees because the senior management keeps changing, a moving goal post.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are to many Chefs in the kitchen, CBRE needs to spend time building a culture, and stop the cycle of restructuring every 3-5 years. Lastly, it needs to stop building "bad will" in the market by exiting people poorly, and so often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to Work for

Managing Director (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery progressive, work-life balance, values are strong

ConsNeed to add additonal marketing support

Fun if you don't like money

Real Estate Accountant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGreat people, relatively unstressful work. I've seen other people say that the company is very political and supervisors play favorites, but I don't see that. Maybe I'm just on a good controller team. Getting to work at home two days a week is nice too.

ConsThe pay flat out sucks. I'm making approximately 70% of the market rate. If I didn't have to have a second job, I would be more proactive about looking for something else. But the company loses a ton of good people - and will lose me - due to the crap pay. Even controllers full well admit this. Uneven workloads are a problem, too. Sometimes you have to get there at 6am, sometimes you spend half the day going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe lose clients because we can't retain talented people because you won't pay us what we're worth. Stop sending emails about Big Wins if none of that winning gets passed on down.

Good company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood employee benefits and vacation

ConsHarder for people in entry level positions to advance. Most leaders are recruited as managers and executives from competing firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations management should pay more attention to cultivating an engaging work environment

Just OK

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsMostly good people, I'm lucky to have good managers.

ConsSalary and benefits are lacking, especially compared to how often they boast about being profitable. Have more flexible working options. Going into an office everyday to "show face" is no longer necessary, we can work from anywhere. Technology is severely lacking. Systems are often down and slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more to get more.

Good

ProsGood work life balance here.

ConsMoving up in the company is not easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore benefits.

Very professional

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Irwindale, CA (US)

Pros-good environment to work at
    -plenty of room for growth
    -there are advancements
    -good people and very professional
    -very kind people and helpful

Cons-plenty of work load
    -can be stressed due to client's contracts and dilemas
    -some upper managements are not very nice
    -they can be rude at time due to stress level when there are deadlines

Good place to start your career out of college

Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN (US)

ProsLow pay comparing to other companies

Conslow pay and lot of work load

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay and try to decrease the turnover ratio

Worked for CBRE? Contribute to the Community!