CBRE

CBRE Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic

Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired(in 24 reviews)

• Best in business for commercial real estate(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company(in 14 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks(in 18 reviews)

SAFETY FIRST

Building Engineer (Current Employee) Staten Island, NY (US)

ProsThere's always work to be done

ConsSalary doesn't compensate for cost of living

Good Company, but lacks "family" environment

ProsKnowledgeable people, available/open management, growing company

ConsSuch a large company, you lose the "family" environment; benefits are decent but are not great for a Fortune 500 company

Significantly Underpaid - Unreasonable Expectations - No Opportunity For Growth

Assistant Real Estate Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe chance to work with institutional clients on a variety of assets.

ConsAssistant Manager in Orange County, CA: If you're experienced and motivated except to work 10+ hours a day; compensation is significantly below market rate; absolutely no defined scope of work and no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementA corporation is only as valuable as its leaders. Excessive workload combined with a submarket compensation package only drives away the talent which allows CBRE to be such a profitable entity. More importantly it jeopardises the integrity of the firm as a whole and puts the entire corporation at severe risk...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am very lucky to work for CBRE. It provides people in my profession with opportunities to make differences globally.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany that focuses on my field. Many opportunities for service professionals.

ConsBecause you are embedded on an account, you have many leaders and sometimes opposing - you have your company and leadership, you have the regional leadership, as well as the customer. Regional leadership tends to allow silos on the account. This is good if you have a good leader, it is very very bad if you have an incompetent leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your Alliance Directors more carefully and listen to staff.

Hopeless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsCBRE China has a lot of potential and generally has one of the best platforms to work in real estate in the world. Additionally, the company has many helpful and talented professionals around the world.

ConsThis is a good company in most places except China. CBRE China has no culture and has a tendency to restructure every 3-5 years (which has been true since its founding in China) which usually ends with most of the businesses, decimated. It tries to manage China remotely through Hong Kong by buying the wrong talent at exorbitant prices. Arguably CBRE's senior management doesn't understand China at all. It is a horrible company to work for, for mid-management employees because the senior management keeps changing, a moving goal post.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are to many Chefs in the kitchen, CBRE needs to spend time building a culture, and stop the cycle of restructuring every 3-5 years. Lastly, it needs to stop building "bad will" in the market by exiting people poorly, and so often.

Fun if you don't like money

Real Estate Accountant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGreat people, relatively unstressful work. I've seen other people say that the company is very political and supervisors play favorites, but I don't see that. Maybe I'm just on a good controller team. Getting to work at home two days a week is nice too.

ConsThe pay flat out sucks. I'm making approximately 70% of the market rate. If I didn't have to have a second job, I would be more proactive about looking for something else. But the company loses a ton of good people - and will lose me - due to the crap pay. Even controllers full well admit this. Uneven workloads are a problem, too. Sometimes you have to get there at 6am, sometimes you spend half the day going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe lose clients because we can't retain talented people because you won't pay us what we're worth. Stop sending emails about Big Wins if none of that winning gets passed on down.

Great experience in an established, corporate atmosphere.

Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture will depend on the team you're working with. In general, it's a pretty laid back but professional environment. There are a lot of holidays per a banking schedule. Easy work life balance.

ConsThe environment is very clique oriented. If you're in a marketing position, it's great for new graduates but not a lot of room for growth unless you get on the corporate team. A lot of blatant favoritism, based on if you're in the good ol' boys club. Promotions seem to be based on personal standing more than your work.

Good company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood employee benefits and vacation

ConsHarder for people in entry level positions to advance. Most leaders are recruited as managers and executives from competing firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations management should pay more attention to cultivating an engaging work environment

Just OK

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsMostly good people, I'm lucky to have good managers.

ConsSalary and benefits are lacking, especially compared to how often they boast about being profitable. Have more flexible working options. Going into an office everyday to "show face" is no longer necessary, we can work from anywhere. Technology is severely lacking. Systems are often down and slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more to get more.

Good

ProsGood work life balance here.

ConsMoving up in the company is not easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore benefits.

Worked for CBRE? Contribute to the Community!