CBRE

Updated 16 December 2014
3.4

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired (in 28 reviews)

• Great place to learn about New York commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company (in 17 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work at least at the local level.

Former Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with good presence and aggressively expanding in all aspects of commercial real estate from leasing, buying, selling and consulting. So if you want gain experience in any aspect of commercial real estate this the place.

Cons

Growing to big to fast and like in many large corporations the corporate office is out of tone with the field office. Completely revenue and commission driven. Hard to break in if your are in the brokerage division.

Corporate wisdom is not always the best for the company.

Analyst - Debt & Structured Finance

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid Brand. Good opportunities when you leave

Cons

Compensation. If you are not a deal originator, your comp will not be on par with other finance professionals.

Work-life balance....NOT

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for if you are right out of college looking to start your career. Decent benefits and vacation. Lots of employee recognition events geared towards the early twenties age range.

Cons

The company preaches "work-life" balance, however this is not true for all employees. Workload is not distributed well amongst the employees/teams...and upper management (controllers and up) seem to not hear the reasons turnover is so high. Very top heavy with management.

Management needs to listen to employee concern. And...if you are going to preach work-life balance, make sure that ALL employees are given this opportunity to have balance!

Entry level Accounting Coordinator (temp to hire)

Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at CBRE as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I could be bitter, but this employer really invests in their staff and follows a modern approach (ie address free work stations, morale committee monthly activities, green ideals, etc)

Cons

If you're not an accountant or don't want to be one, the Bloomington, Mn office might be hard to map out a career path... But the overall feeling of employer investment in staff and creativity will help.

Tbd

Fast Paced, Change Oriented, With a culture leaning towards the mobile and balanced.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely. Workplace 360 culture of sit anywhere, anytime, is good for employees on the go. Great work-life balance, competitive salary.

Cons

Pricey medical benefits, Combating the 'This is how its always been done' culture to create positive change.

Keep up the good work. Promote and encourage change, stay relevant!

Dynamic and challenging

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CBRE focuses on world-class service and developing their employees to be the best they can be.

Cons

Huge corporate environment, offices all over the world. Most of the time your job will only ever involve a portion of the CBRE group, as there are many business units and functions worldwide.

During my time at CBRE I saw a few face changes in upper management. I wish you all the best and success in your futures!

Analyst

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

Lots of career opportunity and treat employees very well

Cons

There are no significant unusual cons

Great if in the right position

Former Employee - Broker in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Broker in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In a smaller market, CBRE produces great referrals...but only if you are in a position to receive them. Great name recognition

Cons

downside of referral business is that splits are low and if you aren't receiving much from the network, you can probably make more with a different shop

Lots of time spent on conference calls, which can be positive if utilizing the network, a time waster for some

Large company that works together to get the job do e

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent, my local group is very flexible and easy to work with. They like to move people around and promote from within.

Cons

working on an account separates you from feeling like you work for them... Feels more like you work for the client.

reach out more to client based employees. Need better medical benefit options.

Run away. Run far far away.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time

Pros

You get a free t-shirt

Cons

Everything else (including the paint color). Salaries are horrendously low.

Clean house. Start over. Listen to people. Honestly listen even if they disagree with you. Allow people to enjoy work again. Get a sense of humor.

The Client Accounting office in Memphis has undergone the saddest, darkest transformation I've ever experienced. It can be attributed to poor, unqualified, inexperienced senior leadership. The wrong people in these roles has ruined what CBRE once offered--an enjoyable place to work that valued individualism, creativity, and honest open feedback. It is the land of drones who are told to keep any opinion that is not that of a director quiet. If you disagree or think something should be handled differently they immediately call you negative and they will and do retaliate. The office is also completely controlled by an HR representative who is states away but called upon to make decisions about people's lives and futures that he/she has never even met, spoken to, questioned, etc. This company claims it owns you at all times if you happen to supervise people whether you are at home, out to dinner with friends, or at a sanctioned company event. Middle managers are put into horrible positions. All employee reviews, meetings, disciplinary actions, hiring decisions, etc. are prepared/made at a controller level or above but are forced upon middle managers to be delivered as their own. I witnessed employees get into trouble for a bad attitude because they didn't smile at a certain controller in the elevator. I've witnessed leaders take ideas and work prepared/presented by others and claim it as their own. I compare the new CBRE client accounting office in Memphis to the Death Star. If you want to work for the Dark Side without an opinion, without being valued after years of service, without doing true accounting (this shop basically is a data processing center with many jobs moving offshore or being prepared to move offshore daily), without privacy in any aspect of your life....go for it. They may trick you for a year or two. I feel genuinely sorry for those who wrote reviews after less than a year of service. The koolaid will wear off. They will see. They will see how far from the RISE values some of those in charge live their lives (professionally and personally). I would rather be unemployed and live under a bridge than return to a place I once loved dearly. It was home then. It is Hell now. My thoughts are with all of the employees who remain there.

CBRE Photos