CDW

CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer(in 58 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is sometimes quite a bit of turnover among the inside account managers(in 33 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning(in 32 reviews)

282 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best...period! Top notch co-workers plentiful.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL (US)

ProsWLB & Co-Worker recognition second to none. This place truly cares & puts co-workers first in many ways. Work hard, play hard mentality very prevalent here, very cutting edge, progressive management styles also abundant.

ConsOn the Services side not many, but conscious that there are different LOB's & not all operate at the same level. Do your homework upfront.

Advice to Senior ManagementStock up 100% since IPO!! Keep up the great work...

Extremely satisfying, equally as challenging.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Mettawa, IL (US)

ProsIt is very hands on training, along with highly intelligent sales instructors. They help you along every step of the way to ensure you are a factual, polished, ready to take on the world type of Account Manager.

Cons4 weeks of classroom, 8-5 training (which is a pro too) then 5 months of being in the academy (which is more of a pro as well)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You are making this sales training so enjoyable.

Helpful for the first 8 years

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood company to start with and helpful to get you started

ConsYou need to get on top quickly and than move into other positions. If you don't you get lost and forgotten

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if someone been their for more than eight years don't think of them as a number think of them as a person

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Walks the Walk

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros* Good company that *truly* works to ensure the needs of co-workers are met
    * Good pay; good benefits
    * Nationwide + Canada with potential to re-locate from current area
    * Lots of supported opportunities to learn and grow your career
    * Company size
    * Vision and drive to becoming *the* IT service provider
    * Home-grown company from Chicago (eBay before eBay; Amazon before Amazon)
    * Stellar relationships with Cisco, MSFT, Google, HP, Apple and more
    * Promotes, and stands behind, diversity in the workplace

Cons* Company size (also included as a "pro") Currently ~6,000 co-workers

Advice to Senior Management* Keep the "home-grown" feel of CDW as we continue to grow
    * Keep doing what you do Tom Richards

CDW has helped me grow on a professional and personal level.

Sales Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to grow and a plethera of job opportunities after you complete 1 year of sales.

ConsThe compensation is not competitive with other companies in our industry.

For the most part CDW is a good company

IT Manager (Former Employee) Vernon Hills, IL (US)

ProsSolid corporate culture
    People love their work
    Finance Area is one of the most energetic areas of the company
    Sales Team works hard
    Warehouse Team is awesome

ConsIt is an IT company but is mired in a political and tech doldrums in the IT area
    IT is one of the worst areas of the company:
         Stagnant leadership
         Uses blame game problem solving
         Dictator type of leadership style is valued - oppressive

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the management rotation of the Finance Area
    Sr Leadership should take a real look at their IT area

My experience was amazing!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsConstant follow up. Upbeat and exciting

ConsNot one con comes to mind. Best experience I have ever had

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what they are doing

Great coworker environment; very positive growth within the industry and for the individual too.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLarge company that has the perks of a close-knit smaller company as well; great benefits and knowledgeable management; great learning environment and development opportunities.

ConsNone that I have seen so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the fantastic work.

Plenty of career opportunities within CDW to advance in your career

Senior Manager Business Systems (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL (US)

ProsThe company is constantly pushing the envelope on getting results and because of that most of the years I've been here we've been successful, have exceeded our numbers and get recognized for that as well. Even as the company has grown significantly it still feels like a small business with a family owned feel to it. There are also many opportunities to expand your career whether that's to other teams within your same department, switching to a different department all together or progressing up the chain in your department. Also, the ability to have a flexible schedule to meet work and family needs helps tremendously.

ConsThe CDW culture is a unique one and at times can be grueling between the extra hours of effort that are needed to make sure things get done and the political landscape that has to be executed just right.

10 Years and a steady, undeniable decline which makes me sad to see.

Executive Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsYou can make a ton of money and if you get the right manager, you can little/no oversight. Vendors provide a ton of perks, free concerts, ballgames, a happy hour every night of the week, free lunches, etc. There are a decent amount of good people left working there

ConsThey've cut pay every single year since I started in 2004. Literally every single year. And account managers have the same base salary($25k) they did as long as anybody I know that works there can remember(15+ years). They have a focused effort to devalue the role of account manager and have consistently been stepping down compensation more drastically in recent years. The caliber of people they've hired the last five years is really, really bad, so a lot of your coworkers are there because nobody else will hire them and they're willing to work for $25k. The fact that they've hired a lot of terrible people recently has also had a bad effect on morale. It's never been lower since I started. Even people making top dollar hate their jobs. Also there is zero career path. If you dream of being a sales manager, well keep dreaming--last I heard that job starts out at an amazing $45k base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base for AM's, weed out unproductive people and show us you care at least a little bit.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!