CDW

Updated Apr 06, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

236 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start a carreer

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work environment, perks from vendors are nice.

Consbase pay and commission structure is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation plan needs to improve significantly. I couldn't afford to live in Chicago my first year working there and many people have two jobs.

It was a great job to gain the experience I needed out of collage

Government Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsThis job taught me sales strategies, how to manage a book of business, and how to become better at selling in a B2B environment. Taught me more about utilizing my resources and accessing the channel. benefits are great, and the incentives from the CDW partners are amazing.

ConsThe base pay is terrible. After one year your salary will grow but after one year commission is no longer guaranteed. The pay structure is not one you will appreciate. Getting support in a timely fashion can be really bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is something no one will appreciate. However if you get the right person that you report to work can be great.

Good place to work

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI've seen CDW change a lot through the years. When I started at CDW, the company was always on the 100 Great Places to Work. As we grew and the economy got weaker, some of those perks went away and we were no longer on that list. However, I still believe CDW is a good place to work and there are plenty of perks that other companies do not offer.

ConsCDW sells 100,000 different products, and that's a lot to know. Staying on top of technology trends and always working to win the next project will eventually burn you out.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

This company does a great job of taking care of it's employees and putting them in the best position to succeed.

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, high standards, fortune 500 company, and room to grow professionally.

ConsAt this time I have no complaints. Overall my experience has been excellent.

Great place to work, resourcefulness is key here.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat folks but you really need to push to seperate yourself from the rest of the pack and advance. The harder you work the more, the greater your chance of success. Networking is everything.

ConsVery sales minded organization and transaction focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep consistent policies across all teams and roles. Build more training programs to help folks get support where they need it.

Fast, fun, competitive environment

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing industry with good commission potential. Exciting opportunities and very fast paced. Always something new to learn and teams are competitive.

ConsLow base salary compared to other sales jobs. Working in a team environment is fun and helpful but there is quite a bit of childish gossip which gets old. Customers can be taken without warning so you waste a lot of time monitoring your accounts and explaining over and over again why you deserve to keep working with your assigned customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than meetings with the entire sales team more time could be spent coaching less tenured employees and growing them individually - the more seasoned Account Managers have large, complex projects that command most the discussion during a meeting. It's unlikely for 1 year Reps to get much out of experiences shared here or to apply advice of a manager when it doesn't pertain to them yet.

It is a great place to work with a great management team

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbest training in the industry, learn a lot about a lot of different tech. Make a lot of relationships with manufacturers.

Conssalary and even commission are pretty poor. Can make more in other sales jobs in a quicker amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more transparent with employees

Good to start out

CDW Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung, helpful environment. A lot of complainers and false information.

ConsEstablished corporate company, not much room for creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage creativity

Want experience in sales, start here

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsNice atmosphere, depending on the team you are placed on. Senior team members may be willing to give you some pointers on various ways to prospect, or spark up new conversations with current accounts. Vendors feed you at least every other day.

ConsIf you are not a great seller, then this is not the place for you. The small business division is undeniably the hardest.

Good Experience Right Out Of College...Awful After That

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)
Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time for less than a year

ProsI worked at CDW in Vernon Hills back in 1998 when they started to get serious about growing/hiring. I was part of the first big training class with the company going through serious changes. The initial training was excellent. It was "get your stuff together and pass these tests or we aren't hiring you" type of attitude. Several people in my group of 60 didn't make the cut. As a result, I still use a good portion of the computer training and information they taught me today. CDW is huge and vendors do whatever they can to win over the sales reps at CDW. As a result, you get a ton of free stuff. One day I was called in to my manager's office and Reggie Jackson was there. They asked me if I wanted a memory chip or his autograph on a ball. It was October and the decision was easy.

ConsCDW is a well oiled corporate machine. You will not make it here if you don't know about corporate structure, micro managing, meetings, ridiculous sales goals, etc. This is in inside sales gig. You are expected to sit at your desk, all day, and make calls. It can be exhausting and the pay can be difficult. Competition inside and outside CDW to sell all things computer has to be recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees know what and who are being "loyal" and "genuine" to them. Are you?

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 236 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.