CEB

Updated 27 January 2015
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Product and brand Integrity

Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good industry to work in and the company has more integrity to the customer than any I have worked for before.

Great product, having worked in sales for many companies it is rare to have such a strong product to work with and one that genuinely effects companies ability to operate.

Cons

Not much interest taken in developing individuals who have experience. This job is certainly for trainees and people who have little experience.

Very strange environment where staff are scared of being themselves or saying anything which might get them in trouble.

Too much self importance shown in the staff. Very junior members of the team think they are Bill Gates after a few sales. As above peers are scared to tell each other how it is so team members start getting massive egos and instead of constructively criticising their peers they resort to one-upmanship which makes the environment very stale.

Leadership is very junior and often side with the company over their direct reports which gives the impression they don't really care! Again this speaks to the culture of personal gain rather than teamwork.

Reviews are also bizarre!

Lead your team rather than thinking about your own career. Speak to people as their leader rather than school teachers! Don't be fake - most people are not stupid and you lose credibility!

Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Former Employee - Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Majority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

Cons

Very high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Have a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

Cons

Pay is about 10k below standard
    Job descriptions are inaccurate
    You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
    Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
    I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
    I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
    Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Be direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
    Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
    Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

Good company to start with and build skills for your career.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at CEB

Pros

Great training
    Young, intellectual team
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

There is a limit to growth

less micromanagement

A collection of the smartest, most driven people I've ever worked with.

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am continually amazed by the intellectual caliber of the colleagues I work with every day. Being surrounded by smart, driven, passionate people makes you feel capable of great things - in your current role or in any other role you wish to pursue at CEB (internal moves are encouraged and supported). I have had so many wonderful mentors - formal and informal - who have contributed to my career success, and I plan to keep on collecting them. CEB is a relatively young company (30 years old), whose culture is still being defined. It is aware of it's history and foundations, but far from being set in stone. Reacting and adapting to change is necessary - and exciting! It's truly a growing company in every sense of the word.

Cons

If you can't handle change, this isn't the place for you. As a company that studies the realities of the new work environment, we are also prime examples of it. Growing global presence, acquisitions and integration, finding new gears of productivity, collaboration that is key to survival - it's all part of everyday life at CEB. It means you can't get comfortable or take anything for granted, but it also means that new opportunities are opening up all the time and that you can control your own destiny to a large degree.

We should continue to push ourselves to be leading edge when it comes to developing, motivating, and retaining talent. Just because we write about how the best do it, doesn't mean we're doing the best job of it that we can. We should strive not to just meet the bar set by the best, but to exceed it.

Great first job

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Career development opportunities, intellectual culture, challenging work, work-life balance. The actual work is great, and you learn a lot of valuable skills. People are often described as "very smart and very nice".

Cons

Compensation, compensation, compensation. They don't pay nearly enough at the entry-level considering what schools they are recruiting from.

Pay analysts more, especially if you're recruiting from the top schools.

Decent

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At CEB there are great people and supportive leadership; everyone is willing to help and the environment is very collaborative.

Cons

Job is simply scheduling-you dont really use your brain as much as you would like..I find that I had a lot of downtime as well.

Use more incentives with staff. Additionally, add some complexity to the job to retain employees.

As first job, CEB has been a great place to work

I have been working at CEB

Pros

Good Comp
    Great Colleagues and culture

Cons

Poor top management
    No strategic vision

Leaves a lot to be desired

Current Employee - Global Service Centre in Thames Ditton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Service Centre in Thames Ditton, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with in a constantly changing environment
    - New faces every other week
    - Good robust products
    - good legacy research team

Cons

- Salaries are slow to rise
    - minimal benefits
    - long hours with few career opportunities
    - exceptionally politically attuned environment
    - personnel development only geared towards certain preferred individuals
    - in a very expensive part of Surrey (very exclusive) not a lot of transport (public) direct links

- COMMUNICATION is key , if you want to get the best out of the team you have there has to be open and honest communication , we cant support our team and others if we don't have all of the information, facts and we don't know what their objectives are.