CEB
www.cebglobal.com Arlington, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

CEB Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
CEB – Arlington – “Corporate Executive view (Photo thanks to Flickr…”

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, work different from KPOs (better), cooperative sr"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Access to a network of c-level executives, learning about corporate strategy and research that helps the clients"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is great at some times of the year, lacking during others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "senior management changes frequently which affects the career growth of individuals"
    in 33 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Associate (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsMajority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

ConsVery high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsYou do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

ConsPay is about 10k below standard
Job descriptions are inaccurate
You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Advice to Senior ManagementBe direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

Great starting point

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung atmosphere. The hours are reasonable and you are able to earn more with overtime.

ConsChicago office is limited with opportunities outside of the revenue dept.

Great environment, great people, intense workload, uncoordinated sales activities.

Account Management Associate (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Prosthe people.....all young and well educated, good environment (if you're into the young - cliquey kind of environment - work 40+ hours together and spend weekends together etc.)

Conscompany values numbers.....thats it....they will push and push you to perform with incentives like giftcards and bonuses or leaving early friday. If you don't perform you don't advance and you eventually get phased out

Advice to Senior ManagementSSPD is a mess

good personal growth opportunities

I have been working at CEB

ProsThe company provides a lot of personal growth opportunties, with new experiences and challenges. I've also really apprecaited the people that I work with- the company attracts a good calibur of talent.

ConsIt is easy to burn out if you're not careful, the company pushes hard and is often underresourced.

Supportive

I have been working at CEB

ProsBenefits are good and the breadth of work is great.

ConsBecause it is so large and more focused on the original subscription service, it is hard for aquired employees to understand how they fit in the CEB family. However, it is very obvious they want us to fit.

Could not love my job more!

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

ProsColleagues you work with - smart, type A, motivated but wired to help others and have a passion for the business

Business model - none like it out there. Intellectually stimulating & fits in a key nitch

SF Office - small, collaborative, high performing, strong management team

ConsVOLUME - I thrive in volume, but if you don't, it may not be the place for you. We work with a lot of clients and field a lot of requests internally and externally each day. Be sure you are willing and motivated to work at that pace!

Enterprise Sales Heaven!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time

ProsIf you are an experienced and talented sales professional who can handle a fast pace and a somewhat nerdy product - this is an awesome place to work. They have access to senior executives at over 90% of Fortune 500 companies. You can't help but become a better sales person working here. The training and support better than any other organization I have worked for. The people that work here are all smart and nice.

ConsThe pace is unlike anything I've experienced before but not a total negative as this makes for great comraderie amongst workers. You'll also accomplish more than you can imagine.
Because the product is nerdy, not everyone "gets it" - including customers. This product does not generally sell itself so having the ability to communicate value as oppossed to price and feature is an absolute necessity.

Good experience; felt underpaid

I have been working at CEB

ProsSmart coworkers, interesting challenges, travel was nice.

ConsFelt underpaid, Not a great sense of direction of the company.

I've had better

Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsName recognition and nice co-workers, for the most part. PTO allowance is great, entry-level employees can get up to 1 month off when you take into account holidays. Ability to work from home was a definite plus for me. The benefits package as a whole, actually, is really nice.

ConsEVERYTHING is a fire. Every day you are pushed to deal with ten things at once because they all are supposedly equal in significance and they all need to be dealt with RIGHT NOW.

To say managers micromanage is a severe understatement. You're never trusted to just get your work done without your boss breathing over your shoulder. Reviews are a joke. I got docked points for my review for not doing something that I was literally unable to do given my current status/position in the company. Pay is less than I would have thought given the size of the company and the giant workload; and bonuses are even less, if you are even eligible. Unless you're in senior management, I wouldn't expect budget-changing results from your bonus/raise.

Space. With recent office moves we are now on top of each other. Any inquiries as to whether we'll get allocated more space go largely unanswered as more and more people are hired. It doesn't make me feel like a valued employee when I have to share my one-person cube with 1-2 other people (at the same time).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging, and pay your employees better.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CEB reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CEB CEO Thomas L. Monahan III. All 432 reviews are posted anonymously by CEB employees.