CEB

CEB Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance(in 43 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing(in 37 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still(in 37 reviews)

Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Associate (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsMajority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

ConsVery high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsYou do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

ConsPay is about 10k below standard
    Job descriptions are inaccurate
    You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
    Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
    I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
    I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
    Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Advice to Senior ManagementBe direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
    Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
    Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

VOerall good place to work, but little pay

ProsGood benefits and work life balance, hire awesome young people

ConsDifficult to move up quickly, seriously underpaid

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your lower level employees more, too sales focused

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly positive

Senior Director (Former Employee) Asia (Philippines)

ProsWork life balance is fantastic. Very good training opportunities and exposure to top-echelons of management in the companies that you serve.

ConsInsane amounts of travel suitable only for those who are single and without family. Incessant push for revenue and micromanagement on all kinds of performance metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat sales people like mini-gods and neglect other parts of the sales machine. Don't forget that sales people need a good product to sell. Not every client is interested in HR/Talent best practice-too much focus in recent years.

CEB provides best practice research on human capital analytics, but doesn't have a clue about compensation trends

Prosbenefits, location, good for the young and ambitious, spirit of generosity, opportunity to work globally, good development of sales staff

ConsLow compensation, too focused on hiring entry-level sales staff, more like a college campus than a corporation, top heavy with the AD and Directors and bottom heavy with associates and coordinators, brand doesn't compare to competitors (who is CEB?)

Advice to Senior Managementpay experienced professionals on par with compensation trends, hire program managers that may have more experience than a specialist but less than an associate director

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people

ProsGreat people and corporate culture

ConsLack of development opportunities and very top heavy

Great entry level opportunity but the SSPD program tends to prevent you from moving up on a reasonable timescale.

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

Prosplenty of training, opportunity for advancement, great coworkers, ability to structure your own work schedule, happy hours, interesting and high value product, access to senior level executives at fortune 500 companies

Consmanagement is ineffective, processes in the company prevent you from moving up, salary is low, high turnover, extreme focus on metrics is stressful

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on helping employees improve than demanding that they perform.

Comfortable place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsExcellent infrastructure; Flexible work environment; overall smart people; good work-life balance most of the times

ConsRelatively limited career growth and opportunities, especially in India office; growth depends mostly on personal connect and rapport with the manager and/or senior management; mostly monotonous work and products; significant deterioration in terms of Senior Management (US-based) commitment to grow India core operations - most focus on making it a back office and support rather than front-end high-value delivering office.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet expectations clearly when hiring new people. Aim to remove personal biases which most senior managers could have and bring transparency into career planning.

Flexible

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsFlexible culture, approachable leaders, and open to ideas

ConsAlthough they are open to ideas, implementing them can be a demotivator.

Great firm to work

ProsGood Management, great learning exp

ConsSome politics in some teams

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing good

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!