CEB Reviews

608 reviews filtered by
3.2
CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

Great Product and brand Integrity

Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good industry to work in and the company has more integrity to the customer than any I have worked for before.

Great product, having worked in sales for many companies it is rare to have such a strong product to work with and one that genuinely effects companies ability to operate.

Cons

Not much interest taken in developing individuals who have experience. This job is certainly for trainees and people who have little experience.

Very strange environment where staff are scared of being themselves or saying anything which might get them in trouble.

Too much self importance shown in the staff. Very junior members of the team think they are Bill Gates after a few sales. As above peers are scared to tell each other how it is so team members start getting massive egos and instead of constructively criticising their peers they resort to one-upmanship which makes the environment very stale.

Leadership is very junior and often side with the company over their direct reports which gives the impression they don't really care! Again this speaks to the culture of personal gain rather than teamwork.

Reviews are also bizarre!

Advice to Management

Lead your team rather than thinking about your own career. Speak to people as their leader rather than school teachers! Don't be fake - most people are not stupid and you lose credibility!

2. Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Former Employee - Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

Cons

Very high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Advice to Management

Have a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

Cons

Pay is about 10k below standard
    Job descriptions are inaccurate
    You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
    Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
    I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
    I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
    Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Advice to Management

Be direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
    Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
    Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

5. Great experience with great coworkers

I have been working at CEB

Pros

CEB Print Design has a very healthy work environment with tons of hard working people who are willing to collaborate and help out others with their current projects.

Cons

Milage varies between project specialists and sometimes clients are less guided than others, making it harder for designers to fulfill their vision AND stick to CEB style guidelines.

Advice to Management

Maybe more resources and guidance for clients to inform them of the best way to communicate edits and changes and also up to date guides on changes in style so they know what we can and cannot do. This would save a lot of back and forth trying to talk them down from something that isn't possible or kosher with the brand.

6. Good place to progress and build your career

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having 'grown up' at this company over 10+ years I am very grateful for the different roles and functions I've been able to move to in line with my skills development and company growth. The company brand has grown a lot enabling a much more successful platform here in EMEA and the insights continue to drive a unique place in a crowded market. I have also been very pleased with my flexible work arrangements since becoming a parent.

Cons

While the commercial org has matured for the better over time, there can be a very repetitive feel to the work, Sales interactions, sales cycle, quarterly flow (and push on this) that can feel very tedious. I would love to see a more positive culture overall that balanced a bit more 'play hard' with work hard piece, which has become worse over time as t&e costs have been brought back to very little.

7. Learning and Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holborn, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holborn, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varied role with very supportive staff both in my US team and on the ground in the UK.
    I have lots of clarity from my manager on my role, how I fit in the business and what I need to do to be great in my job.
    Corporate team do lots to engage employees from internal social media, events, Charity days out of the office to give back and recognition around firm values.

Cons

I'm aware there can be inconsistent experiences across the business
    Very US centric view - but it is an American company so should be expected.

8. A company that truly values its employees

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CEB

Pros

This company has values that can actually mean something and be tied back to tangible actions. They care about their employees' ability to have work/life balance by implementing a lot of ways to make it easier to have flexibility. We are an extremely mobile workforce.

Force of Ideas – discovering and creating actionable ideas and insights, and delivering them in timely, targeted, and memorable ways
    Spirit of Generosity – forging genuine relationships with our members, our colleagues, and our communities centered on service and generous exchange
    Member Impact – effectively advancing member interest and contributing to member achievements through relentless innovation
    Stewardship of Exceptional Talent – investing extraordinary effort in recruiting, developing, and managing exceptional talent and fostering an entrepreneurial and aspirational culture that enables outsized individual and team impact

Cons

Having the ability to be connected anytime, anywhere, also means that ultimately it can be hard to disconnect. Then again, I'm in sales and I much prefer the ability to connect wherever I am than having to be stuck in the office.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a true sales enablement function in place to connect product, sales, account management, and marketing in a meaningful way. Right now there's a huge disconnect in decisions being pushed down from the top that have no real impact on day to day interactions with prospects/members.

9. Collegiate, intelligent employees

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience so far, people at CEB are generally cut from the same cloth within different business units. On the Leadership Councils side (research and advisory) there are a lot of different types of people from all walks of life, but everyone is across the board 1) intelligent, 2) collegiate and welcoming, and 3) prioritizes work-life balance. On the commercial teams, things are bit more fast-paced and rowdy -- a lot going on on those floors, especially during the end of quarter closes.

Can't offer much on the newer parts of the business -- SHL and recent acquisitions, but it's my impression that CEB is putting a lot of resources into actually rolling the brands and businesses into one.

Cons

There's a fair amount of turnover here, and internal mobility at the company. So it can be hard to keep pace with what's going on, especially with the constant churn of the research and sales cycle -- on top of changing teams and team members. But the internal mobility piece is also a good one to note -- it's very easy to transfer internally here, if you begin and aren't liking the part of the company you're at.

Advice to Management

Although we've been pretty transparent about company direction and have communicated this well, be more transparent about the leadership plans and succession at the organization -- tell your employees what to expect.

10. Working for this company pays in big ways if you are able to cope with corporate culture

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

Internal mobility and employee retention is a priority
    Dynamic leadership teams
    Perks: PTO, Volunteer Time Off, Work Flexibility
    Managing layoffs: great severance packages (from what I've heard)

Cons

Corporate culture can make you feel like just a number and can be draining at times
    Difficulty keeping up with ever-changing internal organization structure (internal support resources)

11. Account Management Specialist

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company, good development scheme, good pay.

Cons

Whilst the development scheme at CEB is good, due to the nature of sales, there is no transferable professional qualification that you can achieve. Many graduates would prioritise this in the early stages of their career.