CEB

Updated 27 February 2015
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Product and brand Integrity

Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good industry to work in and the company has more integrity to the customer than any I have worked for before.

Great product, having worked in sales for many companies it is rare to have such a strong product to work with and one that genuinely effects companies ability to operate.

Cons

Not much interest taken in developing individuals who have experience. This job is certainly for trainees and people who have little experience.

Very strange environment where staff are scared of being themselves or saying anything which might get them in trouble.

Too much self importance shown in the staff. Very junior members of the team think they are Bill Gates after a few sales. As above peers are scared to tell each other how it is so team members start getting massive egos and instead of constructively criticising their peers they resort to one-upmanship which makes the environment very stale.

Leadership is very junior and often side with the company over their direct reports which gives the impression they don't really care! Again this speaks to the culture of personal gain rather than teamwork.

Reviews are also bizarre!

Lead your team rather than thinking about your own career. Speak to people as their leader rather than school teachers! Don't be fake - most people are not stupid and you lose credibility!

Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Former Employee - Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Majority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

Cons

Very high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Have a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

Cons

Pay is about 10k below standard
    Job descriptions are inaccurate
    You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
    Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
    I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
    I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
    Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Be direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
    Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
    Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

Great personal experience

Former Employee - Engagement Manager
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very diverse academic backgrounds leads to lots of opportunities to engage in interesting conversations. Work life balance is not unreasonable.

Cons

Company operates in silos. I was lucky to be in a silo that celebrated talent (Solutions) but have definitely heard of others not having the same experience.

CEB definitely benefits from being one of the few large private sector oriented companies in DC. As a best practice company there are definitely opportunities for improvement in some internal functions (IT in particular). Also I think there needs to be a new effort to define the company's value proposition. The rebrand has gone well, but there are too many junior people in sales who can't speak to the strength of all the memberships thereby limiting cross-selling opportunities.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Web Associate in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Web Associate in New Delhi (India)

I worked at CEB

Pros

Awesome place to work
    Nice people at workplace
    Good work life balance
    Good compensation and benefits
    Overall I recommend working in CEB

Cons

As such there is nothing negative about the place. I worked for around an year and I loved it. I had to leave because I was relocating to some other place. If I ever return I would love to work for CEB again.
    The team I worked with was awesome and very helpful. I got lot of appreciation for my good work. and it was highly motivated. Always encouraged to use new ideas.

none

So far so good

I have been working at CEB

Pros

Great company smart coworkers I plan on staying here a while

Cons

Disconnect between management and employees

Current Senior Analyst, Executive Advisor. Previously a Business Development Representative.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Young, fun culture
    - Direct interaction with senior executives around the globe
    - Growing company with decent brand name

Cons

- Average compensation across company is way below market
    - Unprofessional culture, at times
    - Promotion potential / career pathing is generally limited in most functions

Pay your employees better

Great company, bad sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, a great way to make friends if you are new grad. Opportunities to move laterally if you do not enjoy your current role, as you get to apply internally before jobs are posted to the public. Very clear goals and advancement structure, generally a very organized company. Overall very transparent.

Cons

The cons mostly start with the recruitment process. I applied for the Business Development Associate position, and was told it was a sales job, but that I would have a real opportunity to get to know the business and develop my analytic skills. In reality, I had to memorize a bunch of information I didn't understand and regurgitate that to potential clients while cold calling, which gave me very little confidence on the phone. Additionally, your performance in the beginning is very heavily dictated by whom your sales representative is. My sales rep stole opportunities from me and it made it very difficult for me to do well. It was my first job out of college so it wasn't easy for me to stand up to her and I was miserable for the first few months, believing I was a failure, when in reality it was a failure of their sales system. Sales reps should not have so much control over the success of their Associates. Additionally, the Revenue Managers were the worst micromanagers, making me feel more like a pre-schooler than a college educated, responsible adult.

Treat your Business Development Associates like adults, and give them more responsibility. If they flounder, than you can fire them. However, they will continue leaving en masse (I know because my entire start class but one is gone) if you continue to micro manage the way you do.

Be more a cheerleader than an enforcer to your team. Follow through on special incentives and perks, and make sure that when your team does something well you recognize it. If you don't , it feels like management is never happy.

Be more mindful in those you hire, and be clear on what the expectations are. Its a waste of time for both CEB and the interviewee to accept a position that they are not comfortable doing, or are not right for.

Put floating holidays in place, and allow more days off in Quarter 4. People do not work well when they're overworked, stressed out, and deprived of time with their families.

I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two