CEB

Updated 19 November 2014
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Product and brand Integrity

Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good industry to work in and the company has more integrity to the customer than any I have worked for before.

Great product, having worked in sales for many companies it is rare to have such a strong product to work with and one that genuinely effects companies ability to operate.

Cons

Not much interest taken in developing individuals who have experience. This job is certainly for trainees and people who have little experience.

Very strange environment where staff are scared of being themselves or saying anything which might get them in trouble.

Too much self importance shown in the staff. Very junior members of the team think they are Bill Gates after a few sales. As above peers are scared to tell each other how it is so team members start getting massive egos and instead of constructively criticising their peers they resort to one-upmanship which makes the environment very stale.

Leadership is very junior and often side with the company over their direct reports which gives the impression they don't really care! Again this speaks to the culture of personal gain rather than teamwork.

Reviews are also bizarre!

Lead your team rather than thinking about your own career. Speak to people as their leader rather than school teachers! Don't be fake - most people are not stupid and you lose credibility!

Fun, young working atmosphere. Extremely high pressure with little recognition.

Former Employee - Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Majority of office was young people with similar interests and mindsets. The social side of things was great and initial training program good.

Cons

Very high pressure 'American' attitude to business that did not translate well to Australian economy or leaders. Expect a lot from you for nothing. Slow progression.

Have a little more flexibility when entering new markets.

They'll promise you the world...

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You do get access to C level research and get to speak to senior executives on a daily basis even at entry level

Cons

Pay is about 10k below standard
    Job descriptions are inaccurate
    You'll get ALL the blame at entry level when something goes wrong - thing snowball downhill.
    Management will get your hopes up about promotions and incentives but DO NOT DELIVER.
    I was told I was getting a promotion that was then revoked because they overestimated need
    I was told that I was getting a free holiday to Mexico that was then revoked because my manager didn't make goal
    Entry level position turn over rate is about 5 months in Sydney...

Be direct and clear about your intentions - don't sugar coat things.
    Take people seriously when they ask for advice/help and don't try to run your own little rock show.
    Don't come to associates and ask 'what's the goss between the associates' or 'who is sleeping with who', it's unprofessional and just plain rude.

Great Culture, Work Environment & Learning Opportunities

Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-culture -smart, fun, attractive and
    -peer-learning and collaboration
    -networking and career pathing
    -learning & development - everyone is willing to help you get where you want to go
    -promotions
    -member partnerships-speaking and/or meeting with F100 executives daily and gaining insight into the business environment at large, but especially in the functional area that you are focused on.

Cons

Direct manager (AM/SE's) sometimes get on "power trips" - well I've only had one who was hard to work with. ... but worth mentioning as this partnerhship is tight knit.

(See Cons).

Some good, some bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

With the right manager and team, a great supportive place to work with plenty of running room to explore your skills

Cons

The culture in some functions borders on the amoral

Introduce morals and ethics into all areas of the company - and mean it.

Great first job

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, great commission opportunity. I learned a lot and the young culture really appealed to me and continues to.

Cons

Not a ton of room for growth given the practice I was in and there was a lack of structure at the time.

Work hard to maintain today's culture as the business grows in the future

Mostly positive, could pay more for what we do

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really told how to do my job, but given support when needed. Management are friendly and low key. All management is highly accessible and approachable.

Cons

Probably the worst hiring process I have ever seen. Long delays, terrible job of explaining what the day to day will look like, no interaction with people in seat for the role, and a lot of confusion over amx vs bdx. HR people were friendly, but I had much better interviews with every other company i interviewed with

pay your new hires better. allow flexibility to promote out of SSPD levels without necessarily hitting the exact metric each quarter. This policy takes advantage of new hires and traps them in low paying jobs. 40,000 base for DC is very very low. 55,000 would be more consistent with the nature of the role.

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Sales/AM
    Former Employee - Sales/AM

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and friendly colleagues.
    Depth of experience in the industry
    Reputation of being the leader

Cons

Top heavy with leadership. After years of mergers and acquisitions the final holder of the prize CEB does not have the passion that former leaders had about the services and technology. As with any publicly traded company the focus is all on revenue regardless of how you get there. Was once a company with passion and a belief in people and results.
    Constant restructuring of sales team/territories/comp plans yearly. Doesn't foster great success in underdeveloped territories. If you are in the clique you are good if you aren't well your are just another cog.
    People who are promoted to management typically do not fit, I have seen many passed over that would have been great leaders.

Be passionate on what the company was founded for and the values, people before profit. Be honest and straightforward and HR needs to get a backbone and voice for the employee.

It was alright, not ideal

Former Employee - Business Development Representative
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative

I worked at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a great place for a self motivated individual. The training was excellent and there were lots of people to mentor you.

Cons

I didn't like the sales quotas. They were unrealistic, I tripled my required dial outs for the day and didn't even hit a third of my sales quotas.

Take care of your people and invest in them properly. You have all this best practices data you should use it to better your own company.

You will essentially be working at a call centre as a BDX

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is in a great location. Very little overtime expected.

Cons

The London office is basically just one big sales floor, except you don't have very much idea about what you're selling at all. Apparently things are very different in overseas offices. Pay is terrible and rises slowly. Almost all of the sales staff you meet are vastly overqualified for their roles. Some regional teams are cleeky and HR aren't particularly nice people to deal with either