CENTRA (Massachusetts)

Updated 28 July 2014
3.1

Harold Rosenbaum

No Place for Junior Consultants, Discriminatory

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Liberal leave policy, can take leave and "pay it back" with overtime
    - Plenty of contracts with Homeland Security
    - Contract work is mostly offsite
    - If salary is negotiated correctly, compensation is handsomely

Cons

- No room for advancement for junior consultants
    - Little flexibility on contract placement after hire
    - Minority employees will feel out of place, and will be treated differently
    - Turnover is high among project managers
    - Employees are not confident about company's future
    - HR is not objective

- Provide avenues of advancement for junior employees
    - HR is insensitive and does not respect employee complaints
    - Minorities will feel alienated but are afraid to communicate with management out of fear for retribution

Good company, troubling industry

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting varied clients, generous compensation

Cons

Poor internal communication, difficult gov't contracting environment

Solid company struggling to adapt. Result? TBD

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management stable, seasoned; very well connected to their client base, federal national security agencies, while keeping a low public profile. Company has attracted and retained impressive cadre of experienced government pros, while also attracting young talent. Salaries have traditionally been quite good, benefits likewise (though not quite up to the government's, the model for many of the folks they seek to hire), but this is slipping.

Cons

Government cutbacks and downward pressure on costs have endangered Centra's competitive edge, always based on quality, in a saturated market with many players far less devoted than Centra to retaining a deep bench of talent or caring much about their staff. As a result, the company has been laying off (placing on-call or part-time) much of it senior talent. It continues to win solid contracts, but often not with previous cost flexibility and not yet enough to continue business as before. The sense of loyalty to employees, always
    strong here traditionally, has slipped badly and Centra risks becoming like the rest, losing its special character, and it attractiveness to senior experts seeking stability and job security.
    The company's horizontal management, evidently ok when it was smaller, does not function well in many cases where close coordination and enterprise efficiencies are needed. This results in much wasted effort and lost opportunities to excel in making the most of Centra's talent pool.

The pendulum will swing back, it has to; and a deep bench of experience and talent, loyal to Centra, will remain the company's edge. When the budget nightmares subside, the government will need the quality Centra has been able to marshal. If you let this slip, you become like the SAICs and BAHs, you lose the crucial edge vital in the long run. Coordination and collaboration across the enlarged Centra enterprise is urgently needed. Demand teamwork among the divisions, create stronger enterprise resources; the current fiefdoms are not effective.

Limited contact offsite, but I really like the company.

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Trust: Basically I'm trusted to do what I need to do onsite to do my job-- very low management interference. This is huge to me.
    - Low bureaucracy: because it's a medium sized company, there are forms and procedures for some things but it's pretty low-key. I really appreciate the low impact on my time.
    - Good work/life balance: I know some people work really hard, but they're mostly driven by their own passion. I've never been asked to sacrifice my personal time or family life.
    - Compensation/Benefits: I really don't have much to compare, but I feel very well compensated. My health insurance is the best I've ever had in my life-- I pay nothing.

Cons

- Your experience may differ, depending on location. I have no awareness of any B.S. or petty infighting, but I'm also thousands of miles away from HQ.
    - Hard for me to really know about the management culture, since I'm not involved day to day.

Keep the low-BS, low-bureaucracy feel. Stay small and nimble. Focus on being the go-to people for a few select areas, rather than succumbing to the trend to be everything to everyone.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts)

Pros

Wide vareity of challenges; great people; with the right manager, there is no limit to your advancement potential.

Cons

When you ask permission to do something at CENTRA, there are two answers you will never receive: "No," and "we have a procedure for that." This is not the place for people who need structure and hand-holding.

Great place for retiring government analysts; not so much for starting a career

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CENTRA (Massachusetts)

Pros

Collegial working environment, good work/life balance

Cons

No training, poor supervision and career prospects for analysts

Better career development guideline