CGI Group

3.0 1,120 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

1,120 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance is better than most other consulting firms"
    in 101 reviews
  • "I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements"
    in 80 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance"
    in 37 reviews
  • "No chance for career growth unless you are in the Fairfax office (5"
    in 33 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great until the Logica aquisition

I have been working at CGI Group

ProsGood salary and good people

ConsAfter the Logica acquisition there is a definite split between the two companies in the office. It's slowly getting better as time goes on.
Not a great variety of projects to work on.

Used to inspire now a 9-5 job you don't want to do.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe profit participation and share plans are quite good. Being able to buy shares at 50% of the cost is a great way to save cash.
The share price is stable thanks to Canadian part of the company.
Some people here are still extremely smart and great to work with. Some people in North America are doing their best to integrate systems.

ConsTraining is nonexistent. Senior management is like a revolving door that is stuck, and when it gets stuck they replace the glass with another manager who never really gets it.
After 1.5 years of acquiring Logica (which here in Australia was a reverse takeover) there are still 2 IT systems, two communicators, two domains, two sets of standards, two different mobile phone policies. CGI staff (from before takeover) can't even book meeting rooms or use internal company wifi after 1.5 years. Company bids for work and when they win doesn't have the resources (logica style). Have seen members on the bench for close to 6 months. After reverse takeover, company moved from Melbourne CBD (financial district) to Box Hill. Despite having a strategic goal of wanting to work closely with clients, company is in the outer eastern suburbs. Resources are often assigned into mismatching roles. People's skills languishing due to no training and involvment in bids instead of actual work. Office environment is drab and uninspiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new management in Australia talk the talk, but will they walk the walk. They want to grow and inspire, now they need to get it done. Think of your people and improving their morale. Trained and send employees are happy employees when they have work.

CGI provides numerous opportunities to its employees to grow within the company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCareer growth, work from home, fair performance evaluation

ConsWeak HR support, Ratios are too stringent

For a project manager, better companies elsewhere

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff that benefit are the upwards managers.

ConsOnly 3 of 15 project managers who have reviewed so far would recommend this company to their friends. This sums it up. For PM processes this is the worst I have seen. The PMs have no authority to provide quotes for any amount without a directors approval. I can't purchase any project item for any amount without director's approval. The delegated authorities I once had at Logica are all gone. The director takes credit for all my work. I have all the responsibility and accountability and none of the authority to do my job. The management obtain huge bonuses if we reach targets. Strange the bonuses for VPs are 85% cash and 15% stock. If such a great company wouldn't it be other way around? Staff bonuses are a silver of what managers get. 60% of staff bonus in shares, only if you salary sacrifice for some. No dividends because profits used for management bonuses.

Advice to Senior Managementnone, they are not listening

Pays the bills, but generally uninspiring to work for.

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Profit sharing and stock option plan usually quite good
- Flexible health spending
- Good relationships with existing/longterm clients

Cons- Compensation usually below market average
- Stodgy work environment
- Reliance on outdated methodologies (e.g. waterfall)

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs a serious cultural overhaul - all changes come out of the ivory tower in Montreal and take a one size fits all approach. Serious mistrust and competition between business units - even within the same office - linked with restructuring from a few years ago.

Not altogether bad but perhaps a bit behind the times and stuck in their ways

Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, company provides for travel and a computer, the occasional after hours events, some wonderful co-workers

ConsIn my experience, there just simply wasn't much interest in using newer technologies that could have benefited development and some people would get overloaded with responsibilities in order to make deadlines. Training sessions for proprietary technologies were informal and not particularly useful, but the technologies I dealt with didn't have a huge learning curve. Business analysts could have used more in depth training and this wasn't really recognized. A lot of people seemed to not be recognized for their efforts with promotions or raises as far as I could tell. There's also not much of a push to keep employees and I saw several employees quit just before me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, more comprehensive training sessions. More open communication about what's going on with projects. Lots of times development was held up by incomplete scope and missing information that managers probably should have taken some ownership for

Good company with solid foundations; a bit conservative at times, but solid

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSound principles and philosophy
Flexibility
Growth oriented

ConsSomewhat conservative about taking risks
Should do more to establish thought leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the financial discipline, but be more open to calculated risks

Not sure yet

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking from home often is a very good culture and allows me to be more flexible. Benefits such as pension and share purchasing plans are quite strong.

ConsI think that there is lack of technical training and lack of career progression for technical oriented people. Business model seems to be not very strong to keep long term relations with technical oriented people. My current assignment doesn't let me enjoy work life balance and it seems that will be the case for the med term.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly recommend to rethink the usefulness of having horizontal technical practices.

global player

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Munich (Germany)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Prosbig company with many offices and customers around the world, enough potential to participate at enterprise grade projects

Consstill a huge split between former logica and "classic" CGI, body leasing, processes & tooling

Does well, but not well enough

Lead Analyst (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful work-life balance, high management accessible and flexible HR.

ConsRenumeration and career rise not fast enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from cultures of companies you acquire!!

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGI Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CGI Group CEO Mike Roach. All 1,120 reviews are posted anonymously by CGI Group employees.