CGI Group

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.0 1,260 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights
1,260 Employee Reviews

We had a dream... which unfortunately has been killed...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsPeople are, or at least were the absolute best thing about the company. For a great many people ("members"), it was never just a job - it genuinely was a way of life...

The passion and commitment that people would give to the company was genuinely off the scale... CGI got people engaged and really working together as a team, and as a result, what we delivered to clients and shareholders were great results...

Cons... and unfortunately its systematically been taken apart day-by-day with the acquisition of Logica.

At least in Australia, as one earlier reviewer it really is "CGI, now part of Logica".

The CGI culture - that made it such a great place to work - has been replaced 100% by the Logica culture of micro-managing results, no vision, little leadership, no communication and a stay-billable-or-you're-out culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to understand that this is not a technology / numbers business - its a people business.

When you manage the company by constant fear of redundancy, back room secret meetings and a culture that doesnt value the genuine passion and commitment that people show you're never going to get the best out of them...

Its a genuinely scary thing that after the last round of redundancies, its the people who DID NOT get laid off that are the unhappy ones...

Losing Touch

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsCGI had been a great company prior to the Logica acquisition in Australia. There was a strong people oriented culture and emphasis on delivering quality result for the customer. This was supported by the management who had a vision about what consulting is, understood the importance of people and delivery quality.

There was a career path, coaching and feedbacks all the way to help you build up experience and achieve your aspirations.

ConsSince the Logica acquisition, the CGI vision is lost, the CGI's Australian management has been replaced with Logica managers, the emphasis is now on utilisation and milking the customer, it is focused on the quick wins and short term gains.

If you are person who can take initiatives, strives on quality and customer satisfaction then you won't enjoy working at CGI, because you won't be treated as a member of the team, instead you're just a body, there is no reward or recognition for your effort, rather it is because CGI is a "great" company

Advice to Senior ManagementBigger doesn't always mean better, it's one thing to say we want to be a market leader in 5 years, unless there is a vision, a strategy and the passion that can inspire people, they are only words.

Welcome to the Age of Logica

Architect (Current Employee) North Sydney

ProsA real "pro" for me is that since I worked for Logica Australia before CGI took us over I feel my job is actually safer than those of Heritage CGI staff. Based on the reviews on here & the head count around the office I would say approx 80% of CGI are no longer here. There has been no culture change, no work environment change, I have honestly not noticed any changes in the past year except for those done to the org charts.

ConsUnfortunately the same old Logica Management remained after the take over, I was secretly hoping for CGI managers to take charge and actually lead the business but this did not happen. What I have learnt from talking with heritage CGI staff the CGI way of doing things was more team orientated, client & people focused. That has never been the case at Logica.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at yourself, think about what is best for CGI Australia not yourself. Collaborate with your senior managers and take on ideas and feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost!

Director Consulting Services (Current Employee) North Sydney

ProsGlobal company with excellent share plan

ConsAustralian management, including the Asia Pacific President are lost and think that to save the company you should restructure every 6 months, without any thought to how the business is actually operating and where the problems really are. Today, CGI's management think that putting the word "Metro" in front of everything is the key to saving the business in Australia. Thanks Mr President for that one! The Australian Managing Director clearly isn't capable of providing any form of leadership, but he does have his own office in each state... he is just that important!! Employees are told to stop complaining, once they do that, they'll be happy. Do not expect HR to help you, unless you own shares in tissue companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most important people in the company are the employees, listen to them and stop firing anyone that provides an opinion that you don't like. It's time you learnt what management is really about...

Seriously think twice. Read the reviews!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Sydney

ProsThe global CGI has great potential, strong values, great leadership in mike and serge. The next acquisition will really move CGI into a strong market position

ConsAustralia BU a disaster. There is a virus that needs to be eradicated or the host will die. Growth can not be achieved by contracting and cost cutting.
    There isn't a single business developer that has the skills to sell a chocolate bar to a fat kid. That isn't the worst part because in their defence there isn't anything for them to sell.
    HR have watched too many reruns of Ally McBeal and think it ok to reenact the movie Pride and Prejudice whilst conducting their jobs. If your leader spends more time crying in the office than your toddler at daycare; there's an issue.
    The virus - it comes in multiple forms. First is the stubborn one you can't shake. It lingers for months or years. You try over the counter remedies but it keeps wearing you down while it continues to buy expensive shoes and cancel meetings to pick up their designer suits. It isn't available to sign documents because it is taking delivery of its Porsche or is claiming it is only able to be in the office from 10 to 11 each day because it needs to align to Asia time zones. When it does surface it gives you a hell of a barking cough but adds very little value. You hope that nature will run its course and it will just go away and you won't give its departure a second thought. The second is the virus you pick up from a door knob or public toilet seat. The one that came from a second rate rag tag mom and pop shop that couldn't cut it and was rumoured to be on the way out anyway. These usually get the flick by the first form of the virus anyway to save their own necks.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy your time while it lasts. Your management style has an expiration date. When the line that represents revenue decline and cost cutting meet you will be finished.
    Ask yourself if this is the legacy you want to be measured by and once you realise the answer pull your thumb out and get to work.
    Stop trying to reinvent the wheel because you aren't that clever. Reach out to the parent company and find out how they make it work and you will see it is what resources here have been telling you the entire time.
    Invest in the only product you have - resources.
    Stop shuffling the deck chairs over and over in the office. Just give everyone vp titles and get it over with. It won't change the fact you aren't qualified but that way we can focus on the clients who pay the bills.

Worst place I've ever worked

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Canberra

ProsLogica use to be borderline OK until the merge of CGI, 2 years in and still the merge feels incomplete and halfasses.

ConsNo room for growth, Management is borderline mentally disabled. Merge incomplete, Losing contracts all over the place, consider by the CEO that they are a tier 1 company in Australia (which is not true)

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for making a decent job turn into a little bit of hell on earth.

CGI Melbourne is a wiener

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsShare plan is ok and they offer fresh fruit every two weeks. The water is sourced from the Box Hill hinterlands.

ConsThere is a vacant office in Box Hill that use to have three clocks on the wall and it smells like failure. The most uninspiring office on a whole. I feel sorry for the people who want to work in IT but work there. Tier 1 company in Canada, Tears 1 company in Australia.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management are very old and I am sure they are waiting for retirement. The CGI Managers that got replaced could not run a lemonade stand let alone a IT Consulting company.

CGI, a Logica Company

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsShare plan was quite generous, and there can be decent training options available if you pursue it with enough zeal.

ConsIn the Australia BU - since the Logica reverse takeover - there's been too many cons to mention. Staff treated with disdain and disrespect, no commitment to growth or to supporting Directors who could have made a difference. Running after bid responses without any planning or direction, plus having no idea how to co-ordinate staff or how to handle internal communication has created a mess. Top heavy with clueless middle and upper management who have no direction and no leadership.

Company has no realistic pipeline and certainly lacks any decent sales people. The recent round of redundancies seemed to target the last remnants of the "heritage CGI" membership so that that mainly only ex-Logica staff remain. Anyone with any leadership has been drummed out - the reverse takeover is complete.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've already ignored or marginalized anyone who could have turned the business around, why would you listen to advice on this forum? Good luck with the sinking ship.

Simply the most inept management I have experienced.

ProsCompany holds potential and has the ability to.....

ConsAPAC management are either inept, incapable or incompetent. Training is non existent, personal growth completely stymied by over baring, aggressive micro management. The company is ranked 27th IT services company in Australia for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that to grow you need to invest, stop the ruinous downward cycle of constant restructure, provide vision, sustainable strategy and leadership.

CGI now part of Logica

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsCGI used to be a great company to work for in terms of its culture, values and common goals for all. I'm sure this culture and values are present in North America however it is certainly not the case in Asia Pacific.

The share purchase plan is very attractive and generally the employment conditions of CGI are good - the culture of ownership is very strong from Canadian management.

Consthe culture of Logica has taken over the Asia Pacific BU and the company has gone from a culture of everyone working together towards common goals to becoming an everyone for themselves mentality, this is having terribly negative impact on staff morale.

Advice to Senior Managementreview the current Australian and Asia Pacific management to ensure that the CGI culture and values are being followed and promoted within the company.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!