CIA

Be The First To
Add Photos

CIA Acting Director Michael J. Morell

Michael J. Morell

CIA is a great place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA (US)

ProsGood management, good pay, challenging work.

ConsCan't take PC home so you end up spending too much time in office. Also, they wouldn't spring for a relo package and had no jobs for me in my home city. Too concentrated in DC-VA area - SHould decentralize more.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Stable interesting and Doable

Analyst Student Trainee (Intern) (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsI enjoyed having this on my facebook profile as a filler, No actual employment took place.

ConsLack of growth, Hard to get promotion, No performance based incentives.

Are you ready for an adventure?

Director/R&D (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreatest place on the planet to work. The Agency is a family of the cream of the crop. Totally professional organization with a "get the job done" attitude. AND, total job satisfaction. If you want a career where your job means something other that going from paycheck to paycheck, this is the place.

ConsVery administrative (processes and procedures). Sometimes the Admin people think they are Business Management instead of Operations support. The charter is to gather Intelligence in a changing world, NOT create roadblocks.
    You will not get rich working for the Government, but at least you'll have a steady, stable and good paying career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven today's global environment, consider rehiring some of the "cold war" officers which were put to pasture when Clinton downsized the Agency by 2/3 in the late 90's. Perhaps hiring them as Independent Contractors or Contract Employees? They could fill some of the hard to fill overseas posts as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You can learn a lot about different computer systems

ProsSometimes you can travel and network with other people.

ConsThe challenges of downsizing can be an eye opener.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget about the dedicated employees.

Great career

Senior Support Integration Officer (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMission impact, international travel, opportunities to make history and provide policy makers critical intelligence to make informed decisions to protect the citizens of the United States

ConsRestrictions on certain things, lots of regulations and bureaucracy that can restrict some creativity, work balance issues and unaccompanied assignments to dangerous areas

Great stepping stone, not good for long-term

Analyst (Current Employee) McLean, VA (US)

ProsGreat people, great learning experience, exposure to different aspects of this world is very enlightening. The agency promotes training which is great.

ConsHard to get promoted, salary does not match duties and performance, hard to get past the red tape to take advantage of the different opportunities. Management lacks consistency is the guidance they give personnel on career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure how promotion panels are conducted, utilize individuals' talents, acknowledge and compensate personnel for their hard work, innovative ideas and contribution to the mission.

Chief Interrogation Officer

Chief Interrogator (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

Pros-Interrogation techniques are utilised on a daily basis
    -Good pay considering I get to do something which I love
    -Progression opportunities within the organisation

Cons-long hours travelling to far away countries
    -travel to far away countries which are very hot
    -No work/life balance, job is your life

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open about what the organisation does

Challenging, entertaining, and exciting

Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) McLean, VA (US)

ProsMost of the assignments are overseas, The pay plus benefits are good. The job was exciting.

ConsPersonally, I try to make the best of any situation, so I don't focus on the negatives.

Very fulfilling and rewarding.

Tellecomunications Information Systems Officer (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat opportunities to make an impact for your country.

ConsAs with any business, whether government or private sector, there are plenty of politics that come with the job.

Somewhat rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravel, training,opportunity to see intelligence work from the inside

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement for minorities, discrimination in recruitment, playing politics in order to get the cushy assignments,

Advice to Senior ManagementMany employees are not performing to standards yet they are appointed team leads and supervisors. Higher level employees abuse their government credit cards and they get to keep their jobs while the lower level employees are forced to resigned instead of being offered financial counseling and being put on a repayment plan through payroll deduction. Its idiotic that you spend thousands of dollars to clear these employees yet instead of working with them you boot them out the door but keep your higher level employees who are not the ones actually doing the work.

Worked for CIA? Contribute to the Community!