CIBT Reviews

26 reviews filtered by
2.4
John Donoghue

1. Visa/Passport Specialist

Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love customer service and assisting people with meeting their needs. For some this may be difficult but everyone doe not have customer service skills and this must come within yourself.

Cons

To me there are no cons because I love my job and I will continue to learn all I can about this industry so that I can grow personally and become the best Visa/Passport Specialist that I can be

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep striving to make your employees knowlegedable as well as continuing to help us to grow within the company. I thank you all for being there whenever needed and taking our feelings into consideration

2. It has its Ups and downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Very informative, I have learned a lot about international travel . It's not a hostile environment like most call centers.

Cons

The lateral move when it comes to advancement.

Advice to Management

No comment

3. good

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits are great and management is good

Cons

there is no room for growth

Advice to Management

to motivate employees who want to go grow within the company and to raise the minimum wage higher due to volume of work that the customer representative people and operations people do there.

5. Quite a lot of management instead of actual work and service.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, New hardware and great people.

Cons

Stressful, pressure, deadlines. Hardly any salary increase. Demanding clients and no appreciation for going extra mile.

Advice to Management

Please do respect your employees. Get at least inflation raise for people. Don't be cheap, tout charge a lot of $$ for services.

No Room To Advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learn alot of imformation regarding travel industry and visa and passport support.

Cons

Low pay and no advancement

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

7. Avoid. You can do better.

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests.

Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Advice to Management

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).

8. Sweat shop

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Little, if any. Little, if any.

Cons

1% raises? Pass on this sweatshop which is BTW owned by one or two investment firms which means the squeeze is on staff for profits. Management fails at every level. Avoid at any cost.

Advice to Management

Shut down the company. There is no future.

9. PLEASE Don't waste your time.

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Great group of staff members to work with

Cons

Company gives two cents about its day to day employees

Advice to Management

Treat staff members with respect as they do matter and are what continues to bring in the travelers

10. Not exactly great team work

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, Mostly professional work environment, Global company exposure, Opportunity to take initiative and make an extra effort. Some crossover training opportunities.

Cons

Worker apathy, Low wages, not exactly bubbly morning people, low accountability, imbalance of work load, difficult to get rid of poor performance people.

Advice to Management

Try to do more team building events. Job sharing and cross training improvements. Provide workers with some type of quarterly or bi-annual incentives.

11. Overworked and underpaid.

I worked at CIBT

Pros

Maybe because management was so bad, my coworkers and I bonded fairly quickly and strongly over our mutual dislike of our boss. So, you definitely feel part of a team.

Cons

Everything else. Pay. Hours. Management. Advancement. These were all terrible.

Advice to Management

Invest in people instead of being okay with the incredibly high turnover rate.