CNA

CNA Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5(in 20 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr(in 12 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions(in 7 reviews)

disappointed

Prosgood pay, plenty of hard working employees there.

Consstressful working environment due to their review and bonus structure.

Great place to launch career

Risk Control Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning environment and great place to launch a career. The exposure I had to different industries and different insureds provided me with invaluable experience.

ConsSeemed like there was a lot of bureaucracy but I did not deal with this first hand. Being a branch office may have contributed to a disconnect in efficient decision making.

Mediocre company, average benefits, need to make more updates

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWork Life Balance, Job Opportunites

ConsToo much red tape and using outdated systems, even Microsoft Office! Certain departments have no culture...come in do your job and go home.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and open. Need to create office culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for

Underwriter (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCNA is great for work life balance. They are also extremely supportive of movement throughout the company and has a very welcoming and supportive work environment.

ConsCNA does not have many downsides other than their international presence is not significant if someone is interested in getting involved globally.

Miserable work environment

Human Resources Consulting Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat pay across the board, regardless of area or level. New college hires are being brought in at mid 60s and up with generous signing bonuses as well.

ConsCNA forces a distribution curve for performance ratings. Managers are handed ratings for their people without having much nip I into the decision making process. Senior leadership makes ALL the decisions without having to deliver the message or feel the consequences of their actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd love to believe that they'd take advice provided here but they're all focused on doing what they're told and not making waves with Motamed so they can keep their cushy jobs.

Get in to get some experience, then head elsewhere to grow.

ProsA good place to learn about the industry for someone just getting started. Interaction with many different departments. Great education reimbursement program

ConsWorkload is never ending as some operations departments are severely understaffed. Underwriters are now required to be salespeople. The company can't compete with some of the bigger names due to management being stuck in their ways. There is also almost no ability to move up in the company, despite having the proper education, training and superior performance. Very low salary range for some entry level positions with recruiters unwilling to negotiate

Advice to Senior ManagementFire whatever company is paid to handle recruiting. They hire incompetent people in high level positions and it's holding the company back. Give folks at the bottom of the totem pole a chance to contribute more or you will constantly lose top talent to competitors

Making strides to be better but not quite where it needs to be yet

Assistant Vice President Claims (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgood pay and benefits, some good, tenured employees

Constop down management approach, "Mad Men" mentality, 50's-60's type management, very difficult to make changes, making negative policy changes lately, good employees are leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your younger employees who are in the know about business in the modern world - business casual dress, more flexible working hours would be appreciated

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProgressive, improving business and technology

ConsWork life balance is ok.

Dynamic company

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsOpen to new ideas to improve performance

ConsUnwilling to spend $$$ for top talent

Advice to Senior Managementspend $$$ for top talent

Churn and Burn..A classic evil empire.. with lots of jerks at the top,

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsAlmost none. Salaries can be good but the jobs don't last. The company is ruthlessly greedy and pushes to extreme for production when there are few differentiators for the company. The market is wary and aware of the poor image.

ConsUnderwriters are disposable. They hire and fire and keep expecting better results without consideration of toll on morale. Extreme production pushing making underwriter sell an somewhat inferior product.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and get a conscience. Lose the attitude and vulgar attitudes.

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!