CNH Industrial N.V.

Updated 21 February 2015
Updated 21 February 2015

CNH Industrial N.V. President and CEO Richard Tobin
Richard Tobin

Pros
  • Benefits are good compared to other like companies (in 8 reviews)

• Most people are willing to help you through your internship experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe competitive to people who live in Iowa, Kansas and the cost of living is half the price (in 5 reviews)

• Low starting pay, no raises, bogus bonus plan, terrible managers, backstabbing bosses, no promotions, no training, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Raises and Promotions

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Sizable bonus
    - Generous 401k
    - Decent medical insurance
    - Employer works with employees to reduce the healthcare cost
    - Good work-life balance
    - HR organizes fun activities like Turkey Bingo or Harvester Fest to boost morale.
    - Good amount of paid holidays
    - Nice cafeteria with unlimited coffee and tea
    - Reverse osmosis water filtration machines throughout the building

Cons

- Low morale. CNHI does not give merit raises. Your base salary remains the same year after year unless you get promotion.
    - There is no guideline on promotion. It is typical for employees to remain at the same pay grade for many years.
    - The annual performance review forces a certain percentage of employees to be Low Performers using a 9-box model. Low Performers do not get a bonus. It is the upper management and HR who dictate your final scoring number, not your manager.
    - There is not a technical track for technical people like engineers. Not everyone wants to be or suitable to be managers.
    - Older employees tend to stay. It is hard to keep younger employees around.
    - Upper management puts too much emphasis on quarter to quarter financial performance. The decisions made are very short-term minded such as reduction in R&D spending.
    - The hourly budgeting system (Dante) creates unnecessary work. I need to charge my hours somewhere. So, I need to persuade my internal customers the importance of the projects even though I don't think it adds any value to the company.

- Establish a technical track like its sister company Fiat Chrysler. Remain a strong technical base would give us an edge over our competitors.
    - Give all employees a small merit raise yearly and give a small bonus only to the top performers.
    - Get rid of the 9-box model with bell curve. Within the team, either myself or my coworkers are going to be rated as a Low Performer. Then, why should I help my coworkers when they are in need of anything? Why should I pass info to them?
    - Get rid of Dante. It's good to keep track how the money is spent. But you never find out how many unnecessary projects there are.

No raises no promotions. Little hope.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to take on more and varied responsibilities.

Cons

The meritocracy system at CNH Industrial states that if you are making more than the industry average for your grade level you will not be allowed to receive a raise. But that matters little since you will not receive a raise anyways. If you accomplish all of the goals that were given to you in a year and do them well you will not receive a raise.

I have not met anyone working at CNH for less than 6 years who has received a raise.

I know that the policies at CNH Industrial are not good and that there is little you can do about it. I would just ask that you be honest with your employees.

Degrading work conditions and getting closer to Fiat Group way of work

Former Employee - Program Manager in Turin (Italy)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Turin (Italy)

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Complex business and products. Very specific knowledge required, vast areas of improvements

Cons

Rigid and fragmented as all companies coming from an acquisition process and never fully integrated. In the last years the integration with the rest of the Fiat Group world has brought high pressures and lower benefits, creating bad moods

More respect to people is mandatory!

Good comany but needs to be restructured in term of people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turin (Italy)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turin (Italy)

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Worldwide presence is a pro, wide range of products to cover different markets segment, technologically advanced product but not in all the segment.

Cons

Sales/commercial line should be renewed the comany is too slow to react to the market changes.

Take care about your people, try to identy the right people to retain and get rid of those that do not bring added value to the company

The Benson, MN branch is a has-been. Extremely high turnover rate and low moral.

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Benson, MN (US)
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Benson, MN (US)

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, the largest "pro" was knowing the internship would be over within 3 months.

Cons

Poor work life balance, very low employee moral.

By the time this sentence is read, all of management will be replaced by new people who will, in turn, be replaced by even newer people.

Assembler

Current Employee - Assembler in Racine, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Assembler in Racine, WI (US)

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V.

Pros

easy work..clean building..its not a bad job if you can somehow overlook the management and how they treat you

Cons

management is horrible..employees suggestions get thrown away and the "i'm the boss and i say this" saying is used..overtime that isnt needed is forced on employees

Decent

Current Employee - Design Engineer II in New Holland, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer II in New Holland, PA (US)

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V.

Pros

Really good group of employees, decent holidays, great retirement. The location is good. As an engineer, the work is technical and challenging.

Cons

The Italians run everything, they aren't the pinnacle of efficiency or technical expertise. There are many processes that constrain work and do not allow creativity. There have been lay-offs of full-time engineers in late 2014 but there are still contractors working there.

Invest more time in training young engineers

Fruitful Internship

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V.

Pros

Nice and helpful environment and colleagues,

Cons

Not much challenging problems, mainly engineering work. Not research.

Not a happy place right now

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent health benefits and 401k match. The 401k match is good if you can survive long enough to get vested.
    Unlimited free coffee from the cafeteria.

Cons

Morale is low. This company does not value the employees very much. Pay has been frozen for many years and you will not get a raise unless you receive a promotion (which can be extremely difficult to come by). Since my salary never changes, I feel like I am getting a pay cut every year, on top of the pay cut I naively took to come work for CNH. HR tries to put a positive spin on the fact that "we don't do annual merit increases" but nobody buys it. Talent may be difficult to attract and retain going forward.
    Employee development is not emphasized. Training opportunities are negligible.
    Currently employees are on edge due to budget cuts. Poor communication as upper management seems to care only about quarterly results and not about the long term.
    This is essentially an Italian company and at times it seems like the leadership in the US has very little control.

Try to retain the well-performing employees that are there. Honesty with employees would go a long way. Take away the 9-box annual review system which places employees on the same team in competition with each other. The bonus should be a smaller percentage of annual pay and be more transparent. Install annual merit increases, even if small, and it will take away some of the pain of the yearly cost of living increases. When aligning salaries, recognize that the Chicagoland area has a higher cost of living than CNHi's more rural locations.

CNH Industrial N.V. Photos