CVS Health

3,331 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,234 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 63 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy work for the most part, but never enough time to get stuff done. Company pays dirt wages.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

As long as you're not a manager, things go pretty smoothly... Clock in, work, clock out.

Cons

Corporate doesn't seem to want their employees to succeed. They're more likely to tear then down in visits instead of building up a good team. They don't pay well at all.

Pay livable wages.

Fast paced environment with big promises but little time for training.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Auburn, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Auburn, MA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location that I worked at had a great sense of team, everyone worked really well together. The pay was competitive and there were a lot of promises to advance quickly into the management of the store.

Cons

Management assumed that everyone understood the basics of CVS methods, even though it was never covered in the training. And the biggest problem was that the weekly schedule was only available four days before the week began and the only copy was printed at the store. I couldn't drive to the store every week just to find out what I would be working in a few days.

Managers need to make sure that the workers are able to learn the basics.
    Update your company so that the schedule can be available online. In a society where you can pay your bills with a mobile phone, you should be able to see a work schedule online.

A fast paced competitive company built on a solid foundation

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Collaboration and structure. The industry is advancing quickly and they continue to need good people to keep them performing at a high level.

Cons

Technologically they are a little behind the times and could work on becoming better at that level of support

Good Company

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth

Cons

There can be lots of red tape in parts of the organization

Expected a lot on little payroll

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay for those without formal education

Cons

avg work week for most is 55-60 hrs

Good company that expects alot of its managers

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and oppurtunity to move around

Cons

Long hours and somewhat low wages. Once you make store manager it is hard to move up

Hold Pharmacists responsible for the pharmacy area

Very informative, learning opportunity!

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people, and I was able to learn a lot about the pharmacy business. It was a nice place to be!

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers was definitely a con, but I assume that's in most customer service related industries.

Everyone I worked with was amazing

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Humble, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Humble, TX (US)

I worked at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got great hours and benefits. They people I worked with were a great group of people. I enjoyed my job.

Cons

There were a lot of thrives coming into the store I worked at. There were also a lot of couponers trying to get everything for free.

Keep reminding your emotes that you really do care.

Rewarding job in many ways... but not for your pockets!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Things are great at store level, as long as you have a great staff to work with. They make you feel appreciated and point out all of your fine work, making it a rewarding experience. What's even more rewarding is dealing with the public and being able to help them with their medications and insurances, especially the elderly who really need someone to take the time to go over things for them. Benefits are ok, but have really declined over the years.

Cons

Hours are constantly being cut and workload is constantly increasing, making it harder and harder to get jobs done and forces us to spend less time on customer service and really serving our patients the way they need to be. Computers and registers are ancient, constantly slowing down our service. Upper management is more concerned about the numbers then they are about the patients and employees. Safety should be a huge factor in pharmacy, but with cutting hours it doesn't seem possible to be confident that things get done safely. Health benefits have gotten worse and worse over the last 5 years or so. Working in a healthcare company, one would expect better plan options to be available to them.

Allow extra hours each month per store to have as a reserve for when needed, ex. Around holidays, seasonal times depending on region, store takeovers, etc. Treat employees better, with regards to bonuses and fair pay increases. Long term employees would feel more appreciated with better incentives and pay raises, therefore increasing customer service and courteousness, which will keep current customers and attract more. Having a constant change of employees, whether techs or pharmacist, hurts the customer base because they lose the faith they have in their pharmacy. Trust is a huge issue for customer loyalty, and once that trust or bond is lost, customers find new places to get their medications filled.

CVS was busy and understaffed but fulfilling work

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping customers get their prescriptions and resolving insurance rejects for them was fulfilling. The managers were very flexible with the hours and met all the needs of a college class schedule.

Cons

The pharmacy was understaffed so the technicians and the pharmacist worked overtime frequently. The compensation was very low for the importance of the job and the responsibilities we had. There were very limited perks unless you were going to stay with CVS to become a Pharmacy Intern and then Pharmacist in which case CVS pays for pharmacy school and pays their pharmacists a very high salary.