CVS Health

3,639 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,343 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Retail at it's worst

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Customer service experience. Simple job at best.

Cons

They want employees to perform multiple jobs and tasks for little pay. Hours are lacking.

Stop playing favoritism, and hire more staff when needed.

Pharmacy technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Amazing company depending on store location managers are helpful and nice

Cons

Low pay under appreciated and better compensation

Higher pay

Life at CVS Health

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The company does care about it's employees and their benefits.
    Managers are flexible and accommodating.
    Work life balance is frequently addressed and while not perfect, they do offer proactive solutions.

Cons

One must diligently, proactively and proactively reach out to get things done. There seems to be an attitude of "not my job, not my department" across numerous areas of the business. Implementing creative new strategies to tackle projects is easier said than done.

Training needs beefing up. On numerous occasions I felt unprepared to tackle an assignment due to lack of preparedness. Managers need to be better about addressing issues as they come up. Managers are also in way too many seemingly unimportant meetings and can be hard to find when a team member needs job related help.

Good Company, bad management!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, good networking, great opportunity for professional growth

Cons

Management at a district level is more focus on making a bonus at the end of the year than providing a good healthy environment for employees, stress leves on meeting impossible targets make this great company a nightmare! Hours cuts make managers work dangerous shifts ( only one person in the store at opening and closing)

District and regional management should Work at more at the store level to see exactly what happens in the stores.

My Experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great employees and plenty of hours

Cons

Overworked, low pay, and poor management. Customers can be extremely rude!

Treat your employees with more respect and let them know they are appreciated. Gain some organization as well.

Working hard for little reward

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Lynchburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Lynchburg, VA (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security
    Middle management is great

Cons

Higher ups and executive management are out of touch. they keep packing in fat paychecks and bonuses while the ones in the trenches making them money struggle

Pay your employees appropriately

Registered Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love this job. I came in with no experience and CVS has molded me into an average pharmacy technician. There's a lot to learn and you won't get it in a day. I have heard horror stories about the pharmacists from hell but our little pharmacy is a one big happy family.

Cons

There are no benefits for part-time employees. I have been working here for almost a year and I don't get any benefits outside of Aetna group perks. I'd like to be able to earn PTO and holiday pay. Due to Walgreens turning down a few insurance companies and CVS taking on a lot more business, you'd think we'd get more hours but it's the complete opposite.

Listen to your employees. Allow the pharmacy manager to have more control in the pharmacy and the store manager with less control.

Expectations

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexibility of moving from store to store. Training is improving. Company seems to be making an effort to hear their employees.

Cons

District and regional managers seem to have an unrealistic view of what happens at store level. Increases in demands and expectations constantly increase, while hours and number of employees per shift decrease. I have seen a severe impact in the last 8-10 yrs. Record stock prices and skeleton crews.

Understand the stresses and pressure that the expectations have on employees.How can skeleton crews give satisfactory customer service?