CVS Health

3,455 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,281 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

PHARMACY TECHNICIAN

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fast pace, never a dull moments, keeps you going all day

Cons

sometimes goals are unrealistic,

get to know the community where the store is located to set goals and maybe then it will be understood why sometimes the goals are not met

Professional seeking a full time job with possible benefits

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great company, culture, and co-workers

Cons

no cons I had a great experience interning at CVS

Cvs

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company opportunities to move up

Cons

A lot of hours

I am a pharmacy manager

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, many avenues for climbing the company ladder, stock is doing great in a mediocre economy, and great benefits.

Cons

As a manager the pay isn't that much better than a staff pharmacist; it definitely doesn't compensate for the added time and responsibility. They staff like a public company... as little as possible because it directly affects the bottom line. Long days, I work 14 hour days all the time.

I know you are driven by EPS and stock performance, but WORK IN A BUSY PHARMACY FOR A COUPLE DAYS to see how stressful the work can be and how disrespectful the customers can be. Staff the pharmacy so that we can provide great customer service. Don't staff like Wal-mart.

working for 5 months, its ok for now

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Good pharmacist helpful and friendly and easy to get along

Cons

pay is ok, considering asking for raise but not sure how

pharmacist

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

management is hands on and you learn a lot

Cons

lean work flow. too much work and makes it unsafe

Good open atmosphere, good team manager.

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Nice balance for scheduledhours...fair for everyone.

Cons

Starting salary could have been better, but for entry level, low pay is expected

Allow more advancement.

Okay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Upper Marlboro, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Upper Marlboro, MD (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Higher than average salary, lots of fast-paced work. Allowed me to develop my customer-relation skills. Always work to be done, no sitting around. You get to leave exactly when your shift is over.

Cons

No clear expectations. Management didn't really know what they were doing. You were often expected to do way more than what you could accomplish. Standards weren't really standards and we were forced to hide the way that we normally accomplished things when the district manager came to visit.

Pharm Tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a fast paced environment where I learned a lot about medications, insurance, and dealing with patients. Training was pretty decent and I enjoyed the rush of always being busy. All useful since I'm applying to physician assistant programs. My store was extremely flexible about working around my school schedule and me going home for breaks (I'm a college student).

Cons

This is an extremely stressful company. They cut hours all the time and understaff pharmacies while still expecting top-notch customer service and an extremely high output. They also require unpaid online coursework and continuing education. I come home every shift exhausted and feeling like I disappointed my customers, about whom I actually care.

GIVE PHARMACIES MORE TECH HOURS. That would solve soo many problems. Two techs cannot handle the demands of answering phones, intake of prescriptions, working both the store registers and the drive thru, filling prescriptions, and handling inventory. It's just not possible. CVS surely has the money for extra hours -- employees would work better if not so stressed, customers would be more satisfied because they would have higher quality care and their prescriptions would be ready on time, and pharmacies would run smoother. Instead of punishing stores that close their drive-thru because they cannot handle the workload, give them more tech hours to help handle the workload!! It's not that hard.