Cambridge Associates, LLC
www.cambridgeassociates.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours, good work/life balance, very friendly people to work with"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Broad exposure to asset classes, especially in Alternatives"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive"
    in 11 reviews
  • "status reporting, and (3) data entry"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

ProsMuch like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

ConsThe organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

ConsThere is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.

Smart colleagues, changing department with lots of opportunities, but long and unpredictable hours detract from job

Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a changing firm and department with a relatively new management team (about a year tenure). The new management team is dedicated to the department and has put PRG on the right track. Employee engagement increased significantly with the new management team, which I felt was a big positive. Because of the changes there are lots of opportunities within the department to get noticed and grow. If you put yourself out there and get involved, then the managing team will notice you and reward you for your dedication. Colleagues are smart, and you get access to a lot of great research, as well as access to hedge fund and long-only managers. I think this is a good place for an entry level individual, as you will learn valuable skills and get access to really smart people.

ConsThe hours can be long and unpredictable, especially around 7-12th business days each month, depending on your client load. Also the ability to move elsewhere in the company isn't clear. If you are not entry level and have a few years of work experience, the growth potential is not as great as fresh out of college.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the plan to improve the department and keep engaging employees.

Save Your Soul; Do NOT work in IT!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, good work/life balance, very friendly people to work with.

ConsCompensation is a JOKE. If you're a developer, you will never use the latest technologies. 90% of our applications are not MVC based and because we are not a tech firm, there is no interest in pushing for using more robust languages or technologies. If you try to push for making something better or faster by implementing a new process or framework, you will get shut down because everyone in IT is afraid of change. Most developers have been around since the early 90s and have not bothered to learn any new languages since then (all while getting cost of living raises throughout the years). All of our new applications and new projects are being completely outsourced and costing the firm hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Developer roles are now completely support based, no new development is happening.

This is an investing firm, not a tech firm and IT is always considered a support role to the firm's decisions. Currently everyone in the firm thinks IT is a joke because we have major operational issues and cannot keep servers running smoothly. This then drives the idea that we need to outsource everything instead of promoting/hiring people who actually know what they're doing.

Don't be a part of this sinking ship.

Fraternity Like Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a decent job if you're fresh out of college. The pay is nothing special, but it will pay your bills. No real chance for upward mobility unless you get an MBA. Generally recruits undergraduates out of liberal arts colleges, very Caucasian heavy office with young guys and gals who recruit people who are similar to themselves, and thus the fraternal like culture.

ConsNo real diversity, it would be nice to talk to a colleague who isn't stuck in the past about they glory days of Friday nights on campus.

Pay isn't too good

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new fresh blood from different backgrounds besides your typical fraternity/sorority brother or sister.

Good company

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

ProsGood exposure to investments and great people to work with

ConsAverage compensation, lack of IT resources

Software Developer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsNice team, and working environment

ConsNot so latest technology due to the financial platform, they are not a big fan of what is the latest technology.

Analyst

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

ProsGood culture, good people, decent hours

ConsAcademic, limited exit opps, niche

Cambridge Associates was a great first job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

ProsYou get the opportunity to work with intelligent, thoughtful, and hard working colleagues, who all have high integrity and want to do the best possible for their clients.
For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates.
Your clients are some of the leading non profits in the country with sophisticated boards that are wonderful to work with.

ConsIt is challenging to move up internally, though not impossible, and it's a great launching pad for getting into top MBA programs.

Fantastic experience at the firm.

Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsSenior staff invests in professional development of junior employees; great culture

ConsCan't think of any--this is a phenomenal place to build a career.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cambridge Associates, LLC CEO Sandra A. Urie. All 112 reviews are posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees.