Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated 18 September 2014
3.6

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie
Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates (in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place..esp for the young and restless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to start a career in investment management.

Cons

If you are not coming from a handful of colleges where the company actively recruits, you may find yourself left out of the party.

Bloated company

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

company values, available opportunities, type of work, clients, smart people

Cons

Management doesn't know how to make crisp decisions so they end up investing money in projects and then stopping those projects when they are about to be implemented.

Great Company to start career

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefit Package,
    Depending on position, you have great exposure to investment management from some highly skilled consultants.
    Wide array of tools to develop skills and career.
    Subsidized CFA exam fees, if pass
    Great atmosphere. Steady Work/Life balance.

Cons

Low Salary compared to profession.
    Associates do most of work, little to no recognition
    Different personalities, some consultants are better to work with than others
    Company is way behind when it comes to systems and technology.
    Feels as if the firm is very reactionary at time

Employees love the promote with-in structure, but there needs to be a system in place to allow investment professionals to stay with CA and be promoted to next tier.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

review of CA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Great people and great learning experience. Strong culture and ability to learn a lot from very smart and accomplished people. Very collegial and great opportunities down the line for investment related jobs and business school.

Cons

Compensation is lower than average, however this is expected as work-life balance was stronger than many peers in similar roles at other investment related companies. Room for advancement is limited without an MBA or CFA.

Associate Position - Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

For a recent college grad the associate position will give you a nice set of professional skills (client management, teamwork, and learning how to prioritize and meet deadlines ). If you work hard and gain the respect of managers, you will have more freedom to spend time doing research & advisory in asset classes that interest you the most.

Cons

The training program in satellite offices should be strengthened. Cambridge needs to provide better training on the nuances of the asset classes, more advanced modeling skills and all in all empower them to be more active contributors to client advisory. Especially if CA is going to continue to recruit students with non-finance backgrounds.

While the starting salary for an associate is fine, year one and two raises need to bring salary to levels commensurate with other top tier consulting firms. This would meaningfully improve associate satisfaction and retention.

Great firm

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, well-respected firm and good work-life balance

Cons

Not the highest pay in the investment world, but that goes for all consultants

Friendly colleagues and great clients to work with but extremely poor management. Specially in smaller teams.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally good people and friendly.

Cons

Senior management and operations lack serious know how on what's best for the employees and the firm and are not sympathetic enough.

Sandie Urie is a kind CEO and she takes time to get to know her employees in some shape or form. I'd recommend other senior staff specially in European offices to understand the business and their employees at a more personal level.

Cambridge Associates - Manager Information Group

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Overtime not required very often
    - Access to robust database of research and historical data
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    - Cheap movie tickets

Cons

- IT challenged
    - Incompetent management at lower levels
    - Ineffective with internal communication
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Unsatisfactory training at most levels

Heading in the right direction with benefits, but will not be truly effective in retaining talent until salaries increase

Not bad as a starting job.

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Work / Life balance is pretty decent.

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the field.

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!