Canadian Tire Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.4

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore
Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible (in 22 reviews)

• Positive work environment, dedicated employees, good benefits package, profit sharing (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures (in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Well led, hardworking company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

CT has a lot of people that are great to work with and a positive work environment.
    They share in their success through a great profit sharing program and promotions are very much performance based.

Cons

With the company being so much more aggressive now the pace of change is very fast and the demands on the employees have increased sharply. The result is stressful environment where there are not enough resources to get the job done well.

Remeber how valuable your employees are. Don't drive them away by making them choose between work and their families.

Its been pleasant

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I've worked on various contracts for most of my professional life. Not by choice, just that I never got the opportunity. At CT this is my second role, and both have also been contracts, but at least here I was able to get another position within the same company, and before my contract ended. That's been great.

Cons

My salary at my second role (after 9 months) was kept exactly the same, down to the same cents. When I negotiated a bump they gave me a dollar per hour more ($2k/yr). I would've hoped for more than that, especially since the new position at least seemed better.

I dont know how other floors and locations are but on my floor in the Toronto office the kitchen is very poorly stocked. No paper cups, plastic cutlery etc. I dont think that's ideal. At the Oakville office on the other hand it was great.

Good for students

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Sarnia, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- was able to come back on summer vacation and get full time hours because the manager liked me
    - flexible schedule
    - fun staff and close group of employees

Cons

- low pay
    - management sides with customers and leaves you looking stupid

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are worse jobs

Former Employee - Fill Crew  in  Saint John's, NL (Canada)
    Former Employee - Fill Crew in Saint John's, NL (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly laid-back place to work; shift schedules are flexible.

Cons

Some managers need management training. High turn-over in staff

never appreciated

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the people you get to work with are great

Cons

the owners think everyone should be killing themselves so that the owner can make more

pay all your staff fairly

Team Canadian Tire

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most staff and management are a wonderful team and blend social and work into an enjoyable career. The benefits are average and time off is usually granted without too much issue.

Cons

Some management have issues with communication and dealing with respect to members of staff.

Roll up your sleeves and dig in, Managers. You'll get more respect and a better view of the morale of the store if down and open to hear and see the negatives.

Great

Current Employee - Custodian  in  Castlegar, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Custodian in Castlegar, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Owner is awesome,, management is ver helpful...

Cons

Customers are difficult... make it hard for me to get work done

Be nice to us

summer student

Former Employee - Summer Student
    Former Employee - Summer Student

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time for less than a year

Pros

meet a lot of people

Cons

variable hours as part time

keep it up

Love working here but wages need to be raised

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

awesome people, great environment to work in. great owner to work with

Cons

wages are very low. work loads are alot at times

please hire more staff as we are under staff for our warehouse deparment

A decent place for temporary part-time work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woodbridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most managers were very kind and accommodating to their employees. Very understanding of human error, and employee's personal lives; allowed a lot flexibility in booking time-off.

Hard work did not go unrecognised.

Learned a lot about customer service and coordinating with management and other employees.

Cons

Overall, not a bad place, but rather disorganized and could use some tightening up.

Employees are hired on a "friend of mine" basis, so most of the part-timers are young and nonchalant. Some older employees have horrible attitudes that are completely disregarded. Communication between different sections of the store ranges from being decent, to being left stranded in silence for an extended period of time.

Management is generally kind and accommodating to their employees, but are a bit too willing to throw them under the bus, and break their own backs to appease a customer. It gives the customer an unwarranted sense of entitlement and creates a very hostile environment for the employees.

Overall culture is questionable at best. Gender diversity is rather non-existent. The entirety of cash and customer service are women, while all areas of the floor are men, with only a couple exceptions. Exceptional amounts of gossiping and attempts at undermining others make it feel a bit cliquey and juvenile.

For such a large store, and considering its primary speciality, the hardware and technology was horrific. The registers were grungy and regularly breaking (usually shoddily fixed using packaging tape), with software that's long-outdated. Printing simple things like gift receipts could end up having you jump through multiple hoops to get it to work, with a confused and irate line of customers quickly piling up. Cashiers generally got three walkie-talkies out of the eight that were supposed to be there, usually with one of them missing or broken. Inventory system could use a lot of love.

There's really no place for growth, unfortunately. Benefits and raises were transient and minimal, and the store seems to be in a never-ending loop of simultaneous overemployment/underemployment due to an unnaturally high turnover rate.

Please look into screening your employees a bit more. Hiring friends of your employees without an interview sets the bar at an incredibly low default for how the company operates, and how its professionalism is perceived. High turnovers are a direct result of hiring individual who couldn't care less about the job, and drastically effect all aspects of the workplace, and the other employees.

Don't be so eager to bend over backwards to accommodate a customer and make a sale when they are obviously wrong. Being a respectable business doesn't come from giving discounts to adults who throw tantrums. The customer–employee hostility is unacceptable. Your employees with be incredibly grateful if you show them that they matter too.

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!