Capco Reviews

Updated 18 October 2014
2.8

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 6 reviews)

• Easy access to senior people who you can learn a lot from (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Glorified body shop that does staff augmentation work (in 13 reviews)

• You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company for motivated and talented professionals

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I ended up leaving Capco to change the direction of my career. However, I had a great time during my time at Capco, due to some of the following:

- Compensation
    - Upward Mobility (Promotions are based on talent, not seniority. If you work hard and demonstrate the skills for the next level, you can be promoted, no matter what your tenure or age is.)
    - Leadership (Everyone, including partners are very approachable to anyone. They care about your growth and development and listen to your feedbacks.)
    - Culture/People (Work hard, play hard. Very social, everyone is friendly, with great happy hours, Christmas parties, charity projects, ski trips, etc. I have met some of my closest friends here.)
    - Great benefits (Good healthcare, vacation days, and all the other typical benefits such as 401k match)
    - Flexibility (I requested to have local projects, and they were able to accommodate)
    - Gorgeous Office (Beautiful location in NY, free drinks and snacks, lot of space)

Cons

Some of the downsides I faced while working at Capco included:
    - You can get lost in the shuffle if you don't make an effort to get involved in Capco events
    - You can miss out on some of the networking opportunities if you are in a smaller project or away travelling during town halls, happy hours, etc.

Principal Consultant

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work, rewards you for hard work.

Cons

lacks clear structure but they are working on this hopefully its resolved

Grown too big for its own good

Former Employee - Capital Markets Management Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Capital Markets Management Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, most clients are Tier 1 Investment Banks, social young environment, strong leadership, interesting relevant projects

Cons

Capco is a cult - small group of ex-Accenture consultants run the company, office politics - choose your clique well, consultants sold as "experts" to clients and forced to lie about experience, long term assignments with little care given to welfare, company grown too fast to maintain the intimate family type environment that once was

When promotion is based on who is sleeping with who and how many of the senior management you are drinking buddies with there is probably something going wrong....

No reason at all to work here instead of one Capco's clients; doubly true for local resources

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the recent negative reviews of Capco here are too emotional, but there is still a lot of truth to be found in them. The CEO and NA CEO seem to be nice guys, and I honestly believe they are doing their best to try and make Capco somewhere people want to work. Unfortunately...

Cons

Capco is not a place you should want to work at, logically speaking. I work, for example, at one of their big clients in New York, and there is no reason from a benefits-maximizing perspective I shouldn't just work for this client as an employee. I work longer hours for less pay, prestige, and responsibility than many of the full time employees at this client. While they're leaving early on Friday, I'm there for hours longer. While their company subsidizes a large portion of their travel expenses, Capco does no such thing for its locals like me. While they're making a name for themselves in their company, the only people who know who I am at Capco are those whom I see on a daily basis.

Many of these people went to the same school and studied the same thing I did, so I see no benefit to what I'm doing versus them. Their bonuses allow them to pay for new cars; Capco's allows me to get an extra fry at the drive-thru. For the same work plus, this seems like a bad deal.

This is not a unique situation at Capco. Far from it.

I wanted to be a consultant for many reasons, one of which was less work than direct financial services. I realized there would necessarily be less pay, but I was willing to make this trade. I was not ready to work far harder, longer, and for much (much) less pay than regular financial services employees, and then have to play a huge game of politics to even have a chance at getting promoted at a staff augmentation firm, which is what Capco truly is.

I cannot logically think of one benefit joining this politically toxic firm affords me or anyone else. Even when you do a good job, Capco still wants you to be “innovative” by attending one of their happy hours. After working 12-13 hour days at the client all week long, to be thought of as “not a team player” for missing a happy hour is simply evil. What the other reviews say about Capco and politics is absolutely true: promotion here is a ridiculously political popularity contest that is so unprofessional its a wonder they've gotten away with it this long.

Why would I want to work here?

For a company that prides itself on “adding value” to its clients, why can't you see that you're adding none of it back to many of your employee's livelihoods?

You cannot simply buy people off with a big year-end vacation to somewhere sunny when your whole value proposition stinks. Add the toxic politics to an already bad offering, and there is no reason people should work for your company vs. a competitor or client.

It strikes me as sad that many people here write that the best thing about working at Capco is the free fruit and free drinks. Is that the best a “world class” firm can offer? I think not.

You need to radically rethink your promotion and incentive structure.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stimulating and challenging company that knows how to work as well as how to throw a party. Amazing benefits including gym reimbursement and pet insurance, awesome culture, and stimulating work assignments. Amazingly transparent evaluation of employee performance process.

Cons

Nature of the assignments requires frequent travel and shifting of gears.

Keep doing great work

I have been here for two weeks so far and the experience has been great.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, open culture, creative leaders, quickly growing the business, beautiful office space, great benefits package, quickly staffed on projects, big name clients, excellent work events and socials, several initiatives to get involved in while "on the bench", company phone with options, company laptop, and free food and drinks!

Cons

Salary is below the market average, range of projects that may or may not interest you.

Keep employees salaries and benefits packages competitive within the market to ensure the high performers don't jump ship and leave for companies that can provide more competitive compensation.

Meritocracy, innovative culture with a family feel to it

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great open culture, management and partner level are easy to talk to.
    A family feel - the company genuinely cares about its people and their happiness
    Great comms from management about strategy etc
    Decent salaries
    Decent benefits

Cons

Interesting roles can be limited
    You can get stuck on a client account just because you have experience on it - defeating the purpose of being a consultant and being able to try new things

Glorified Staff Augmentation Shop

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice looking home office for those who get to spend the time there. Looks fancier for a "Financial consulting" firm. Some very beautifully great people who care about you and are very personable. (I'd give a 2 rating, but the company doesn't deserve it. It's the people who do.)

Cons

Upper Management + HR tell Associates that they're going to be "strategy consultants". Then they get thrown on Project Management or Business Analyst (mostly User Acceptance Testing/Systems Testing) roles and they wonder why attrition is so high.

You hire from these great schools and have amassed a large talent pool to fish from. Change your corporate slogan from "Forming the Future of Finance" to reflect what you really do - Changing Consulting to Augmentation. Yes, get angry. Get sad. Because the truth hurts sometimes. Good job roping in your long term contracts for staff augmentation.

Do yourself a favor- stay far away!

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of free food when you are in the office.

Cons

Where do I begin? In order to get promoted you need to be the most popular kid in the office. You have talent? It doesn't matter. Go to happy hours every Friday and it will guarantee that promotion you have been working so hard for. Planning something like a trivia night is not innovation. It's sad that senior management encourages this kind of behavior and it's seemingly clear who the favorites are because they get ahead the quickest. Favoritism is widely practiced here.

Also, good luck getting honest feedback. The only feedback you will receive is "you need more face time with the Partners and get more involved with Capco initiatives." How do you suggest I do this when I am spending 60 hours a week at the client? Shouldn't excelling at the client be more important? Nope, because clearly getting good feedback from the client and having high billability isn't good enough.

Instill a culture that encourages growth on the client site, not at the bar. Teach employees that subject matter expertise is more valuable. Happy hours do not increase billability.

A pig of a temp agency with lipstick to look like a consultancy

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits on paper are competitive. Some genuinely good people work there (until they get their green card)

Cons

-Staff Augmentation roles almost exclusively- be prepared to be put into a team as a second class citizen for two years. You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority. You're staff aug, you work the most, put in the most hours, work weekends for less prestige and benefits.
    -No consideration for you or your career goals: they need a body for these roles, often clients are very frustrated as quality is hit or miss. Even with nearly full billability ( because of Staff Aug), management will placate bad clients and let staff attrition. I've seen 4-5 different consultants quite because of the same client, only lip service paid, nothing ever done.
    -Sells itself as a innovative consultancy but really isn't: Capco is targeting a lot of professionals who have not been in consulting before, they don't realize what a top-tier consultancy is supposed to offer. Training,being able to expense business expenses easily, change projects, get coaching are all very poorly managed.

Go to another consultancy and you will realize how rewarding a career in consulting can really be.

Just fold into FIS and become a second class Infosys or Wipro and drop the farce.