Capco

Capco Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert

Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot(in 6 reviews)

• Easy access to senior people who you can learn a lot from(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't have the infrastructure of a big consulting firm (which is also a plus)(in 8 reviews)

• Corporate direction changed drastically in 2013 with their first "changesourcing" branded staff augmentation project(in 8 reviews)

An opportunity to be part of a growing, thriving entrepreneurial organization with Big-4 pedigree

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- The leadership and management heavily comprise ex-Big4 team members
    - Capco provides an environment that resembles a consultancy like Accenture or Deloitte but without the constraints that these organizations have; if you have a good idea then you'll get the backing to succeed.
    - Opportunity to focus deeply on
    - Flat leadership structure with approachable, supportive partners
    - Many experts with deep domain acumen in Financial Services, recruited from FS organizations directly
    - Small and nimble e.g. New York office has been able to make and realize the benefits of investments in digital much more quickly than similar organizations

Cons- An entrepreneurial environment is not going to be for you if you are used to sitting back and waiting for opportunities to come for you, many come from industry (as opposed to consulting) and do not appreciate the need to manage your own career
    - While they aim for a 50:50 blend of FS acumen to consulting skills, many resources have come straight from industry and require investment of time from consultants to round them out, so coaching becomes very important
    - Being small and young requires pivoting; propositions and methodologies aren't always fully formed as they would be in a larger organization. On the flip-side, you get to create them
    - Demand and growth is strong (>30% yoy), which means that resource constraints is a continuing challenge especially as Capco has high standards in the recruitment process

Advice to Senior Management- The balance between being nimble and having an industrialized delivery machine is one that needs to be constantly attenuated
    - We need to be more vocal about how we are differentiated by the background and deep FS expertise of our staff
    - We need to be louder about our brand

Great vibe, disruptive thinking, but too focused on CapMarkets

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Great, young, smart workforce
    - Disruptive thinking and creativity very present
    - Some good leaders you can learn from
    - Good reward if you work hard, annual xmas present and massive parties

Cons- Too focused on Capital Markets which makes it difficult for people with Retail Banking/ Digital Channel skill sets to succeed
    - Brand themselves as 'Capco Family', but don't really offer career development, recognised external business accreditation nor consistent coaching and people development
    - Bench Management is awful and very tidious - it's like going back to school. They should rather focus on helping people on the bench to find a role that suits their skill sets

Advice to Senior Management- Leadership overall is very poor and not consistent across the various practices
    - People and Family and Inclusive culture is communicated all the time, but in reality it doesn't exist as it's a very 'clique-y' environment where few people say 'Hi' in the morning if they meet on the corridor or happen to sit next to each other in the office
    - There is a clear mis-match between skills Capco is buying externally and projects they can offer once these people with specific skills have joined - this leads to a great amount of dissatisfaction and attrition

I love Capco

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsToronto office has a small company feel but competes easily with larger brand consulting practices. I feel like we have the best of both worlds. The projects I have worked on have been high visibility and importance for our clients. I am growing a lot in my role.

ConsA lot of people are on long term projects or programs so it is easy to feel a bit disconnected if you don't make the effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the management structure flat and informal; Don't dilute quality of our people by trying to grow too fast.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Control your destiny

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros+ The NY office is still relatively 'small' and you have as much access to senior leadership and opportunity to expand your network as you can handle.
    + Concierge services are a little cheesy but it's nice to have support for busy professionals.
    + Interesting projects can and do exist; but you have to fight for them.

Cons- It's still a job; you are getting paid for a reason.
    - Outsourced services mean it can be difficult to sort of employee benefits and paperwork
    - Expense system is being re-vamped but it's currently a hassle if you travel a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and communicative to all levels of talent. The negative reviews out there aren't entirely specific to Capco, but more to consulting in the FS space overall.

Growing rapidly, lots of opportunities

Managing Principal (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsA very social company, lots of energy. The management seem to make a lot of effort to communicate with the people, lots of opportunities for promotions and career advancement. Good tools are provided such as top end laptops, cells etc

ConsHours can be long on some projects and getting down-time can be a challenge. Very focused in New York and DC so its hard if you are not located there

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes sure that you do not compromise the quality of the people as you grow so quickly

Capco North America is an excellent company but NY tends to live in a bubble and is dismissive of the other practices

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsCapco has outstanding culture and smart people. People here are driven to make the company do well, not because they have to but because they want to.

ConsCapco North America is run out of New York and they're very dismissive of anything that is not New York based. Leadership in NY don't seem to understand how to sell "the big deal" and typically act as an obstruction to areas that do.

Sick, toxic work environment shot through with dishonesty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has great fiction writers who keep posting rave reviews for this horrible organization. At one point Capco had some integrity but the current leadership mostly from Accenture is foul, and the dregs of the UK firm and their unemployed relatives have been shuffled over to the US and Canadian business.

Constoo long a list. Truly awful leaders out for themselves and willing to sell out employees for personal gain, colleagues who are regularly promoted because they are good at sucking up and not much more, very little true expertise in the FS industry although they make it sound like they are world-beaters, no investment in people except for parties and some free fruit and water at the office you almost never go to. Most of what you hear from Partners and HR are lies from the first moment they begin recruiting. Once you are inside, you find out it's a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry telling the truth. Or give up and let this sinking ship go down before you ruin more peoples careers. Stop talking trash about your own staff -- your comments about people's physical appearance and other degrading observations are not a secret.

Bottom of the Barrel Staffing Agency

ProsBachelor's Degree and a heartbeat? You're hired!!!

ConsA firm is judged by its management and talent level and Capco fails on both accounts.

Management is a revolving door of old men from various defunct "consultancies". Once the well aka Rolodex dries up, they move on; turnover is extremely high at this body shop.

Talent level is disgusting and anyone off the street with a bachelor's degree can work for the company. Remember, the business model is get them in cheap and sell them out high.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're still holding onto the memories of actually doing consulting work for your clients. Now, your clients are big financial firms looking to hire you to off shore employees so stop lying to current and prospective employees.

Experience at Capco

ProsGood company, good people and management

Consfocus on technical more so

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

The marmite of consultancies....but with zero nutritional benefits and well past its sell by date.

Principal Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Office: nice new office in Shoreditch.

- A handful of people: a very few small number of fantastic people but reducing by the day.

Cons- Cliquey: as previously mentioned, Capco is the extremely cliquey. There is a core group who dictate exactly what happens in the organisation. If you are not part of this core group or don't blindly follow them then you will be at the bottom of the pile for everything from promotions to what work you and even pay.

- Recruitment: with big growth targets to fill, the recruitment team and those doing interviews will say anything to get people through the door. This leads to great people leaving successful positions elsewhere based on false promises.

- Training: is non-existent. The predominant attitude is to get the most out of the skills that people already have with no consideration for how to develop people into better, more rounded consultants.

- Leadership and Strategy: nice people but not leaders and no strategy. The new UK CEO is a step in the right direction however despite being 6 months into the role there is still no sign of a strategy with each of the partners having a very different view of where the business is going and no communication downwards.

- Culture: Capco translation: "throw a party every 6 months". This is the approach that has been taken to date. Looking at other reviews and from talking within the firm before I left, the more junior members of the team love this approach (just left University and offered big parties with free booze) and hence have, when asked to by management, written very positive reviews. For those who have been around the block a little more, it is clear that the culture is more akin to that of a cult, with the aforementioned clique at the centre and gifts and parties used to keep people happy, no challenges to the status quo accepted and any mention that things aren't "awesome" squashed. Bullying is rife, including by the partners themselves, and even though this has been flagged to the Human Capital team, they do not act.

- Quality of Work: 90% bodyshopping, 10% quality work. The latter is only available to a select few irrespective of ability and as such, the amount of quality work is decreasing due to poor performance. There are some very talented people at Capco, but most are in the wrong roles and/or walking out of the door.

- All Talk, No Action: mentioned a few times in other reviews but really important. Capco is exceptional at using buzzwords, "innovation" being the most common however there is no follow up. The innovation team, now called BoldRocket, lead the charge here however despite all the talk and huge amount of money spent, nothing has been achieved and again, it is a closed shop with people who have no real experience. The same can been seen of the culture (saying you have a great culture is not the same thing as actually having one) and strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and think. Capco has grow significantly and this is a big achievement however there are some huge issues that need to be addressed. Read the reviews on Glassdoor, the ones that you haven't asked people to write all show the same themes, that should give you a good start to do the right thing.

Worked for Capco? Contribute to the Community!