Capco

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that (in 8 reviews)

• Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Glorified body shop that does staff augmentation work (in 13 reviews)

• You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Inspired like I have never been in my career

Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Capco has just hosted their first annual Regional Employee Forum. We had three days of the most inspirational leadership, guest speakers, and amazing colleagues. And it was all fun - a non-stop amazing time from start to finish.

Cons

Working for Capco comes with the highest possible expectations - you'll find yourself more driven than ever. If you want to take it easy at work, this is not the right place for you.

People want to win and succeed for you - keep stoking the fire that you re-started at the Regional Employee Forum!

Exactly how it should be

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Capco is an environment that pushes you to be more and expand yourself to be bigger and better. The people who get upset and leave, as I have seen over the past 5+ years, are people who wanted a more prescribed path in their career. Find what you want to do here, and it's available.

This is consulting. Expect some short term engagements when clients just need some specific help. Expect a few long term ones when there's a lot of work to do. Expect some projects that have an easier work schedule and some worse, expect that some nights will be long when it's crunch time. This is the joy of consulting, it's different all the time and you can do so much.

"Build your own brand" goes a long way here. Who do you want to be known as? If you work for that promotion you want, or that salary you want, or that responsibility on the project, it'll come to you. If you go through the motions and do nothing to set yourself apart, you can't expect at any employer that something will change for you.

Showing effort here goes a long way. Make professional connections across the industry. Work for what you want.

Cons

From talking with friends at other consulting firms, and even in other industries, Capco doesn't really have any unique drawbacks. It's a smaller consulting firm, so sometimes you'll be out of your comfort zone. Capco has grown very quickly over the past few years, so sometimes the back office can be a bit confusing to deal with as it's also grown quickly to support. Sometimes there won't be any projects in your field of interest and you have to do something you don't want to for a while. None of that is a deal breaker for what is a good place to be.

Back office could use some work to make life easier for consultants in the field.

Also realize that most times, only the unhappy people complain, and when they're unhappy they will embellish.

Growth, Opportunity & Access

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot of growth and opportunity
    - Great offices and perks
    - Access to leadership like no other company where leaders care and listen to employees
    - Good compensation and benefits
    - Fun social environment with friendly colleagues

Cons

Some growing pains as expected from rapid growth in last few years but a lot of improvements in infrastructure over time

Take ownership of your own career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Meritocracy, Collaborative Environment, People

I have been with Capco within the Technology practice for almost a year and I have no plans on leaving any time soon. It is refreshing to work with a consulting firm that throws the bureaucracy to the wayside in order to provide quality solutions to their client base. At other firms, junior to mid level consultants often get forgotten about. At Capco, you are going to get back just as much as you put in. Also, if you have problems or concerns, there is always somebody that will hear you out and provide an unbiased opinion. I have also seen an uncanny level of flexibility given to consultants that want to broaden their career experience. If there is a vacancy on a project and you have interest in participating you are more than encouraged to do so.

Cons

Work/life balance will take a hit from time to time, but this is management consulting. I do not know many firms where this will be any different.

Continue to promote from within and make sure that the junior to mid level employees continue to be heard. Their ideas and success stories are the future of the company.

A place that succeeds because it invests in its people

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What is great about Capco is the people. Everyone is friendly and fits well together. Capco took the entire north american region to puerto rico as part of the regional employee forum (REF) . The experience was phenomenal. I learned that it was not just my team that had great people, but the entire organization. What differentiates Capco is the innovative, forward thinking, and entrepreneurial talent. Capco continues to grow because they are doing something right, investing in their people.

If you want to have colleagues that genuinely care about helping you succeed, then you should look to Capco. No matter what your job is, if the people around you are not great, then you will not want to do great work. Capco people are the reason I go to work in the morning; they work hard and bring positive energy to the work environment.

Capco is a very flat organization. Unlike the hierarchies that exist in most big consulting firms, senior management is very engaged with its people. Networking is encouraged in the organization.

The medium size appeal of Capco is great. Capco is not small enough where the company could fail, but not so big as that your job could be consolidated. You can navigate your career and actually be recognized in the firm instead of being lost amongst the masses.

Great associate training program. The focus on learning is what drew me to Capco. Capco wants to make you a better consultant and provides opportunities to grow.

Cons

Capco is only financial services.
    Depending on the project, work/life balance can be difficult if you are traveling a lot.

Provide more options for project alignment

Great place to work for people who like to speak their mind

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Capco is a great place to work for young professionals with innovative ideas who think about changing current processes into something more efficient. The leadership team is accessible and most of them are friendly and fun.

Cons

Back office needs to work harder towards more efficient placement of resources. Compensation should be increased and made variable according to the location the employee is based out of

Invest in technology based resources. The only way you can form the future of finance is by developing innovative products and move beyond consulting. Otherwise it is doing just what any other consulting firm is doing

Wonderful People, Culture and Collaboration - Unlimited Opportunities for Those Who Dare!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Capco less than a year ago in their Technology Practice and I am really excited by the opportunities I was given. It is inspiring to work for a company that focuses on rediscovering the financial services and disrupting the current status quo. It is a meritocracy like many other consulting organizations, with great entrepreneurial spirit, challenging and pushing you to think differently and deliver more creative solutions for which you will be rewarded adequately. For those looking for opportunities and willing to make the extra mile, this is a great place to start and see, if you can keep up the pace. It is not for the faint-hearted, should not be expecting a quick gain, if you are not willing to give something in return.

Cons

Work/life balance is not always ideal, but that is not generally continuing throughout the project. I would say it is fair and firm, it is up to you to decide and see, if you can handle the challenges. It makes you work smarter, increases your efficiency and expertise to stay abreast and be able to deliver quicker, thus keeping your marketing skills sharper. If you think pastures are greener elsewhere, you are welcome to try it, but I am sure you will realize that might not be the case when you look at the risk/reward at the end.

Keep up the great work - for half a year I saw already so many changes that I would argue many other companies could be prouder. The Architect career path to the regular Manager path was a great addition. The investment in training and support is outstanding. The sky is the limit and it is up to the individual to decide how to benefit from it. Recently came back from the Regional Employee Forum or REF - great venue, awesome organization and outstanding external speakers. How many companies do something like this for their employees nowadays at this scale? It is a great vote of confidence that inspires your soul and makes you reach new peaks! Hats off to the Senior Leadership and L&D teams for putting their employees as the #1 asset to succeed in this dynamic world forming the future of finance and many other industries!

Your future is yours to drive.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

- Engaged, future-forward leadership team
    - Top-caliber coworkers
    - Very flat culture - interacting with a partner is no different than with an associate

Cons

- Sometimes the message from leadership doesn't get filtered down to engagement leaders

- Stress where we want to be as a company and how we can get there. You're willing to support it, but people aren't necessarily willing to pursue without a little prodding

Great place for a young employee looking to build their resume and their professional network

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Did some industry relevant work at two tier 1 clients over the course of about 2 years. Met some great people who cared both about me personally and professionally. Enjoyed working for a company with peers rather than being stuck in industry reporting to my elders. Received my first professional promotion, didn't have to leave the company to get a promotion. Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that. Was staffed on one of the Change Source projects, and found it to be pretty interesting work. Was reporting to head of project management at a tier 1 bank and had the ear of multiple SVP's in the same role. Can't speak to the Change Sourcing deals at the other client sites, but my experience was positive. If nothing else, I'm far more marketable now than I was back when I joined. For someone a couple years out of school, with entry level experience, and no idea what you want to do... joining Capco can be a fairly lucrative career move. BUT...

Cons

It was not a lucrative while I was there. Standard rate for incoming Associates is decent for an entry level role, unfortunately, the carrot dangled in front of the associates is the promotion to Consultant. Which, in my experience was still not lucrative enough for the effort and passion an invested employee puts in both at the client site and internally at Capco. As read above, was my first real promotion, and I was grateful for it, but it was not enough to keep me from listening to other offers. I said while I was at Capco, I was 75-85% satisfied at any given point in time with the company, but out of that 15-25% dissatisfaction, 90% of my dissatisfaction was financial.
    I felt borderline encouraged to go out to the market to find my "market value". As an employee, I didn't like taking recruiter calls, didn't like interviewing with other firms after work days, but I always felt like I should (at least 2-3 times a year). One doesn't feel loyal in that scenario, and you start focusing on things outside of work, rather than what should be your number 1 priority. Situation drained me, know my peers face the same struggle. SO...

Pay for the talent you don't want to lose, basically DON'T let it get to the point where you're forced to match other offers (you probably can't given your rigid promotion cycle). Increase the starting salary of promoted CO's so they aren't forced to go to market to find their value. For a company who prides itself on being a "meritocracy" (which I don't necessarily disagree with) you're "hamstrung" by your own internal structures. When I went out to market, and found my market value, I found my market value to be close to 50% higher than what was assigned to me at my CO promotion.
    Bottomline:
    No job is perfect, no company is perfect, I enjoyed my time, and made some great friends... more bitter I had to leave than anything else. I acquired skill-sets that got me my next title and a 50% raise, for that I'll always be appreciative.
    The overall rating of Capco is definitely lower than it should be, I'm guessing the people who gave poor ratings weren't very good at what they did.

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process was very quick and efficient. I have been with Capco for just under a year now and the work environment is great. There is high visibility with management and hard work does not go unnoticed.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences to this point.