Capgemini

3.1 1,732 reviews

Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin

Paul Hermelin

1,732 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, but that can vary with the workload"
    in 151 reviews
  • "Work Culture is so good and also there is an perfect work -personal space balance"
    in 153 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life Balance can be tough - type A, bright employees work a lot of hours"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Long Hours -- need to set boundaries / expectations with senior management"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Digital consulting focus here in Aus allows atmoshpere of growth and excitement

Sydney

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of chance to step up for opportunities
Good pay for graduates and grad program was just developed for Australia
Friendly people

ConsHours are long
Onshore/Offshore model isn't properly looked after
Projects aren't very big

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress con's stated by all employees. don't just hide it

Not too bad , not good at all !

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked with Capgemini for 4 years now.

1. One of the major pro is that India is becoming more and more important to the group and hence I am hearing a lot of projects are now being delivered out of India.
2. India management is given more importance now-a-days , who earlier were considered as labor suppliers.
3. Capgemini as a group has good reputation among clients of traditional market and is well known for thought leadership.
4. Alliance with major product vendors like SAP , Oracle , IBM , SalesForce etc. are very strong. Which has a hind side as well , that the company has become global sales representative of these product vendors only.
5. HR policies are often employee friendly , used to be quite good earlier , but has started to implement few bad policies adopted from Indian companies.

ConsDefinitely cons are heavier than pros in Capgemini now-a-days.

1. One of the major cons , is regional bias. It is a predominantly Mumbai driven company. Hence better projects , leading to better work experience , leading to better career progression , leading to better positions in the group are only for Mumbai employees. Bangalore is probably is a cousin brother , all other centers are treated as distant relative of your friend's pet dog.

2. Continuing the first point actually - senior managers are just too much control freak. To the clients they speak about distributed delivery , but they want every project to be delivered out of Mumbai. If anyone attempts to get projects to other location , either the projects are sabotaged ( like purposefully recruitment will be delayed or vital resources will not be retained , and then they will say getting resources there and thus operating from that location is too difficult ) or if you manage to start your project somehow the managers and employees of that project immediately goes into the bad-book of the company's Sr. management..

3. Secondment policies are very confusing. Once you're loaned out from India to other region , India dis-owns you , to the region you're like an outsider.

4. Each BU - like Apps 1 ( US,UK etc..) , Apps2 ( Nordics , Benelux etc..) , Financial services , LBS etc etc etc ....work like disjoint companies. Even service lines works like disjoint companies. Employees are treated as slaves to the BU , not allowed to go anywhere unless you're totally disposable from your current BU . Collaboration is not a reality.

5. Recruitment of Senior managers - recently Capgemini India recruited a lot of managers , senior managers , directors etc. Few are good , really good. But majority of them are not even eligible to be Senior consultants. Good in lip service and licking their seniors , no knowledge of technologies , no knowledge of management , can't handle clients. I wonder what did they do in the industry before joining Capgemini .

I think I should stop now, don't want to make myself look like a bloody negative minded bloke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a management course , stop being a control freak , work towards organisational goal not personal agenda. Do not encourage petty politics.

Interesting engagements, but local franchise of a Global company

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood engagements and interesting projects (mostly). International environment. Good global knowledge base allows reuse IP across continents.

ConsSalaries at least 20 % below market rate (at least in management consulting sector). Hours are long. Very bad at retaining good staff (good people have been leaving to competitors lately for better salaries). AU/NZ Capgemini operations is more like a local franchise than an actual global company (Sydney is very far away from France). Lots of "good comradeship" required to get in career path despite famous "roundtables" process.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff; get better at retaining talent.

OK

I worked at Capgemini

Prosopportunity to work with various best clients

ConsSalary is not as per market standards

Overall good, although long hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini for more than a year

ProsGood overall group of people

ConsLong hours due to lack of commitment to planning etc.

Not that interested in their people.

Sydney

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

ProsGlobal brand looks good on resume.

ConsDidn't really look after its people.
More interested in using its people to make them money, but people were rarely rewarded for their effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying lip service to your appreciation of your people and actually show some. Don't treat your employees as just another potential money-spinner. They can provide some good insight if you just listened to them a little more. Oh, and yes, how about you stop with the internal turf wars and actually look to work together in the interest of the company, not just your own position in the organisation?

Good place to work

Sydney

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

Pros- lots of technology learning
- friendly people
- normal hours
- mentoring is mandatory

Cons- Need to connect a lot to get onto projects

Interesting place - But

Accounts Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA large global company with a great story to tell and looks like lots of great chances to travel and work on interesting projects

ConsWhile a global company the Australian practice is a small fish that has littel or no reputation in the local market

Be careful about joining. Not recommended. No trust, no respect.

Assistant (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Capgemini full-time for less than a year

ProsPolite and seemingly friendly, BUT don't be taken in by that.

ConsPromised an idyllic work environment, but literally dumped in the role 2nd day I was there with hardly any manuals or policy and procedures docs. So called '3 month buddy' was only bearly willing for a 2 week period before moving into new role.

Careful - neprotism rules with Senior Assistant to the CFO (/ Consultant) who really only looks for ways to help her friends - office manager / Assistant; and another she affectionately calls her "office daughter" who her Admin support. Don't be surprised to be at an full PA gathering and the Senior Assistant will ask just those two out to the pub later etc... or insist that everyone else work the full 40 hours and they will just take off to the pub one after lunch and stay all afternoon.

Try as one might to get the right info to act upon; no one PA really knows actual policies so act on their advice with a great deal of caution or you will have the senior Assistant hauling you into a room to judge you on the outcome. There is no procedural fairness in relation to how new employees are treated.

Note: Some VPs will throw their Assistant under a proverbial bus to protect themselves from the senior Assistant. Again, proceed with caution working for this company as long hours and no appreciation is a given!

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure full hands on training with a buddy along side occurs. The new assistant is supported with up to date policy docs; and grill the VPs to be open to communicating with their new assistant.

Manager

Consulting Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsValues: boldness, team spirit, fun, trust, honesty

ConsNone that will really stand out

Worked for Capgemini? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capgemini reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Capgemini CEO Paul Hermelin. All 1,732 reviews are posted anonymously by Capgemini employees.