CarMax

Updated 25 November 2014
3.3

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager (in 28 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • As a full time sales consultant there is absolutely no work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid structure and team environment

Current Employee - Senior Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CarMax has continuously tried to improve themselves. The company management is open to feedback from the line level associates. The training programs and focus are top notch and are geared towards growing and developing the talented team members. The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager. They have a "Time Away" policy that is very flexible.

Cons

You can cap out in compensation and obtaining a promotion can be difficult if you are not able to relocate. You can be branded at CarMax as "not a growth candidate" making it near impossible to grow your carrer. CarMax has become extremely process driven to the point that any deviation from the process is highly frowned upon and I feel this decreased the associates ability to make decisions.

My favorite job!! Inventory Associate

I worked at CarMax

Pros

I love this place! Friendly, comfortable atmosphere. For the most part, all departments are laid back and chill. As long as you take the job seriously and do what you need to do and work hard, you will succeed. I have had a lot of jobs that I hated waking up to, but I cant wait to start every morning at Carmax.

Cons

Wish they would pay inventory more. We do all the physical work there in all types of environments and do deserve better compensation.

Management is awesome!!!

Top 100 companies for a reason!

Current Employee - Senior Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible company to work, their focus is around the employee and this helps to drive the culture of a great company. I highly recommend CarMax as a career; it's one of the funniest places I've ever worked and I can honestly
    call many of my coworkers some of my closest fiends.

Cons

None, I'm very happy with the company and the direction management is leading us.

I appreciate the open door policy and that my opinion matters, thank you.

It was ok

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ellicott City, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ellicott City, MD (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work there is that you get paid on commision which means you get what you give

Cons

Long hours are a con also the sales atmosphere isn't for everyone also there's high turnover rates there at carmax so you have to take that into account

Talk to employees more

Good company, community, and benefits

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Excellent benefits (health, dental, vision, 401K); community & team building, great opportunity for those w/ strong work ethic & right skill set. Training in sales is solid & ongoing.

Cons

One slip can immediately cost your job. People disappear without chance to say goodbye. Corporate loyalty was lacking when a top sales person was tricked by an undercover reporter they fired him (after 7 years dedicated service) without warning.

Corporate should show more care and loyalty to staff.

Time flies when you're having fun

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I spend most of the time driving new cars around and sometimes driving between dealerships which is pretty fun especially when getting paid to do it.

Cons

It's fast paced so it's hard to get time to get training done towards follow-on certifications.

Sit down with new employees and get to know them a little and allow for them to get to know you. Ask your employees what their intentions are at Carmax and follow up with them to see how they like everything so far and if they have questions. Fortunately for me, I'm not afraid to walk up to them and strike a conversation but it would be easier if it were welcomed.

Great place to start your career. Personal development is excellent.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, team collaboration, role-playing. Really helps build self confidence. Learning trade secrets were a plus. High performers sales club has great perks. Management is genuinely invested in your success. minimal employee discount, ability to purchase wholesale cars. Upward mobility is great if you perform and have that desire.

Cons

Retail hours. Commission pay structure virtually has you "on-call" if you want to make any money. Lot's of administrative tasks that you aren't compensated for (no base salary)

Great place to work! Work load larger than salary.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Friendly work atmosphere and truly a work place with fellow associates who care about quality of work.

Cons

Work load for middle management to high for the amount paid. Sr. Managers are paid a lot more than entry or middle management, and the quality of Sr. Management work at times makes the salary difference between levels hard to understand.

Pay the entry and middle management more. You will get better quality work from them if you do.

Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Good system
    Good flow of customers

Cons

Micro management
    Lots of Chery pickers

Stop the micro management non sense and work more towards an equal opportunity environment

The company

Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Oak Lawn, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Oak Lawn, IL (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a very diverse atmosphere, flexible working schedules (retail hours), knowledgeable about the fair market value of vehicles, informative about vehicles, good incentive programs, and 100 plus stores if you wanted to relocate.

Cons

Promotions are very, very, very, very, difficult.

To many insecure managers but if you get with the right click you will have minimum issues and concerns.