CarMax

CarMax Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard

Tom Folliard

Pros:
  • "Few people have to work late making for a decent work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good (not great) entry-level sales experience for part-time, short-term"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle"
    in 42 reviews
  • "The work-life balance in IT is significantly oversold"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great working environment, although retail hours can become stressful

Lancaster, PA (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsAt my store, we have a great sales team. Our sales managers are qualified to give advice when necessary but rarely micro manage. Our training process is one of the best in the industry and that allows more potential for success. The equities we practice are beneficial on and off the job. We are great people selling good cars. I truly enjoy working with customers and changing their opinion of how car buying should be.

ConsCommission can be a roller coaster ride, but it's all about having common sense and a savings account for the great weeks. Sometimes the revolving door of one department leads to frustration for all departments. For example, if inventory starts a new associate just assume cars will be parked anywhere and it is made unclear who is responsible to correct it. Company is expanding too rapidly. I have personally experienced a downfall in vehicle quality especially when bringing vehicle in from other locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic for promotions. You don't have to promise every new associate a management position in the future. It only leads to more associates leaving for other opportunities when they don't get promoted. The middle management in place should have a little more backbone to stand up to our senior store level management when expectation are not realistic. If you lose focus on quality, our return customers, which I see a lot of, will stop coming back.

I LOVE working at CarMax!

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCarMax is a great blend of traditional retail and well...something else. It's a high energy, fast paced, team and customer focused environment- but a culture that is sooo much more personal than traditional retail. The stores generally have 150 or more associates in each one, but we never feel like just a number. Our leaders actually care about us, and we genuinely care about each other. We can feel really good about the product that we offer our customers and at the end of the day we all know that we're here to sell cars - we each contribute to that process differently. I've only been here for about six years and I have decades before I'll be able to retire, but I hope to spend each and every one of those years at CarMax! I couldn't imagine working anywhere else!

ConsNothing really - it's so good that my 'cons' are wishes. It'd be great to have an onsite gym for the associates to use in the store and/or onsite daycare.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! It's worked for 20+ years and it's only getting better each year!

Fun work atmosphere

Reconditioning Associate (Former Employee)
Davie, FL (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReally good medical and dental benefits. Tuition reimbursement paid for my 2nd BS degree. Discount on wholesale vehicles (The savings now is as good as it use to be). The Corporate culture at Carmax is very casual and a lot of fun. I still keep in touch with a lot of the great people I met there.

This was the first corporation I've seen in which the CEO drops by and plays basketball with the hourly employees. We had volleyball courts on the premises and we're regularly treated with outdoor barbecues.

In Operations your pay was determine by your effort. The more vehicles you were able to push out the more you made for that pay period.

ConsSales has a lot more downside but nothing negative I can think of in Operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Job.

FT sales consultant

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
West Carrollton, OH (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsCarMax offers a lot of great benefits to the associates plus that you can have a lot of fun at work. People work at CarMax are very nice.

ConsI recommend to have an open ear policy before having an open door policy. Micro management and regular associates opinion doesn't count. So the compass program is not serving the purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates and appreciate their opinion and feedback

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, horrible management

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsCareer growth, great pay, great benefits.

Constime off policy for employees who work more than 40 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are hypocrites who does not practice what they preach. They do not lead by example and will throw their employees under the bus to save themselves.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my career with CarMax. It is a company with integrity and offers a clear path for growth.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really enjoy the people that I work with and the training received on a continuous basis.

ConsNot too many cons. I would say the base salary for someone starting out is lower than a traditional salary in this industry but I feel like it is a great work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. They do a great job.

Sales Consultant, good company to work for. Pay could be better in comparison to a traditional dealership.

Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Culture, good full time benefits and you do get a weekend off every 6 weeks compared to a traditional dealership which is never.

Consdaily huddles...to much training including an hour long training on Sundays. Company focuses a lot of training to cover those with little sales experience.

Advice to Senior Managementstand up to corporate to much training as a group and not enough one on one training

Great place to work but pay could be better

I have been working at CarMax part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing company with lots of opportunities to advance. Management works with employees to develop skills and improve performance. Another plus is casual attire and no pressure selling

ConsPay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle. Insurance plan is just Ok, but not great. Training is not very good, and a lot of time is spent training every week. Training scenarios always have easy resolutions, not like the real life experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot is said about the VOC score, yet compensation is not tied to it. If you were REALLY interested in your customer's experience, then you would reward those SC's with the highest scores. Just as you you reward those with outstanding sales through the Director's Club and President's Club recognition.

Get in line and stay there.

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsA unique business model in the car industry. They will hire anyone to be a sales cosultant and train you. There is lots of opportunity for growth at the entry level and to move positions within the various departments of the company. It's hard work and long hours so if thats what your looking for this is the place. They are called the WalMart of cars for a reason.

ConsConstant remedial training. You are always a work- in- progress no matter how successful you are. Definitely working for "The Man"...big brother is constantly micro-managing you. The sales floor is over staffed and there are less and less contacts made with customers on the floor thus minimizing your commission earning potential. The pay per sale is a fraction of what the industry standard commission rate is (flat pay per car not a % of the sale) although supposedly you make it up in volume due to the fact that they are basically a big-box retailer of cars and lure customers to the store with the offer of a free appraisal of any used vehicle that is good for cash or trade for 7 days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGear the constant training towards the level you are performing at. Entry level, intermediate, expert, etc. Having to be involved in such parochial mandatory training sessions on a weekly basis is patronizing at best and is counter productive as you are not paid for this hour a week and it that adds up over the course of 52 weeks a year. My time is my most valuable commodity and I deeply resent the company wasting it without pay when I could use it in better ways spending it with my family whom I seldom see due to the extremely long retail hours (50-60 a week) that I work there. Management tells you that you have "unlimited earning potential" when hiring you, but that is a pure canard.

Quantity over Quality

Reconditioning Associate II (Current Employee)

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than a year

ProsAll of the employees are nice, everybody is friendly and CarMax has a strict and stringent hiring policy. They really know how to pick them. Driving all kinds of cars around is a lot of fun, as well as bragging to your friends about the fact you have driven almost every kind of car you see on the road. Pay is decent, I work in operations, and in my store it's hourly which is rare for dealers. In your area it might be commission, so ask questions if and when they offer you the position. It really feels like a family there, as cliche as it may sound.

ConsWhere do I begin? Management at first glance looks composed and like they know what they are doing. They definitely don't! Their constant hounding to "hit production numbers or work tomorrow(Saturday), after working M-F 4:30am-3pm!" In my store and many others as well, corporate expects impossible things. Things we cannot control, like sales, titles coming in, etc. On top of that, there is blatant favoritism for 2nd shift who get paid 1$ more an hour than us, because they work until midnight or later, I understand labor laws, but still. I cannot even begin to describe how hard I have worked for that company and everybody around me, who have worked there less than I have, and who have constantly slacked off get promoted, while I stay stuck where I am! If you don't complain about your position, which is not in my nature because I'm a hard worker, you get pushed around, and things are expected of you that you do as favors. They try to butter you up by offering you free BBQs, lunches, prizes(which I never win) and visits by the CEO, their stupid promotional videos, telling you this company is so amazing and you have a privilege to work there, which all cost exorbitant amounts of money, how about a freaking RAISE?! This company used to care about quality, now all it is is NUMBERS, so the managers can get a bonus, which they will do anything to get I might add(pass a defective car, etc.) Quality is something that is important to me and every customer that steps into a CarMax. We have a saying whenever someone asks how you are when working there, you say "just another day in paradise." In my mind, every day there is a day in hell. Until the greedy, grimy, stingy, counter-productive jokers we call corporate figure it out, I will continue to speak badly about this place. I can't wait to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employees to truly love working for you, figure it out!!!!!! We are tired of being told at 2:00pm before we leave on Friday if we are working Saturday or not. I have a life outside of CarMax(albeit not a very good one, considering your barely livable wage you have paid me). If and when I leave this place, I will never recommend any of my friends or family to buy from this company, because the cars you tell us to pass do not pass standards. I am a seasoned veteran of this place. You may have many brainwashed but I see the horns beneath the hood of this company. All you care about is filling your wallet, and expanding a weakening business model, you're getting too big for your tan colored britches. I want a place I can be proud of to work for, but this company is embarrassing to wear my uniform in public, because people ask me if I would buy a car from CarMax? I always answer, "No" because this company has become a joke. The cookouts and fluff at the meetings are nice, but I see the beast underneath. I will not fall for the smoke and mirrors, all I see is greed. You are not a great company to work for. I will ensure you do not make Fortune 100 best places to work for list.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All 576 reviews are posted anonymously by CarMax employees.