CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 30, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
198 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall the company has a great vision and understand what the indutry dictates

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsIt's turned into true software sales and they are starting to changes everythign to support that

ConsA little slow in transitioning comp to a SaaS company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the operations side functioning more effectively.

Good company, mind numbing job

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsCompany culture is young and fun, they're generous on the giveaways (ipads and amazon cash), my immediate co-workers were great

Consthis is true of any sales job - constant worry about hitting sales quota and cold calling the occasional jerk

You get out of it what you put into it

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsExcellent sales boot camp; if you are willing to learn and check your attitude at the door; this is the place for you. Tons of opportunity, tons of money to be made, and the perks can't be beat! Annual Sales Trips + Happy Hours & Work Events are commonplace!

ConsThe culture has changed as the company has grown up... less like a family more like a franchise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First job out of college and it has kept me for 7+ years

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat Company, have learned so much, great CEO, wonderful co-workers.

ConsInternal teams don't understand what affects our clients. Products are created and rolled out to quickly and are unsuccessful. Reps then look bad and take the blame for them. it makes iIt hard for sales reps to "sell" when we can't believe in the product offerings and are unsure if they will work.

Great company

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLots of opportunity for growth within the company, good management, work/life balance is excellent, culture overall is great. Senior management truly care about their employees.

ConsThe comp plan is terrible. They sell you on the fact that you're going to make a lot of money selling when in reality, you're not being compensated for what you actually do sell. After a while, there is no challenge anymore. If you have a great year one year, you have to work ten times as hard to be successful and make more money the next year. No one wants to call and nag their clients to "post their jobs."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing by rewarding those who are succeeding. There's absolutely no need to call people out by name when they are having a rough week or month. Everyone has bad months, it's unprofessional to make it known to the entire group.

Inside Sales

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsCompany culture, group dynamic, good training program

ConsHard to hit monthly quotas

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional leads

Non-Sales Employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWork-life balance, autonomy, fun employees and amazing benefits

ConsVery low pay, very little chance of advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider evaluating the salary of non-sales employees, to be more in-line with the current market conditions and other salaries.

Not a bad company, but not a "tech" company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThey pay well, there is a lot of good people that work there. Travel can be fun

ConsA lot of your business is not in your control. If you inherit a bad book of business or lose a client, it can RUIN your career. Because of the commission structure, losing 1 big client will almost guarantee you won't be able to hit 100% of quota for the year. It's not a very high energy office, so mind your p's and q's.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the commission structure. Find ways to work with new team members who take over a book that has a bad history. Spend more time continuously training and monitoring accounts for potential gains and losses within a salesperson's first 90 days.

Great sales career, best learning experience, loved my co-workers.

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat company, great culture, great benefits. Best education I could have asked for. They focus alot on training and promoting up, so it was a great learning experience.

ConsChange the comp plan ASAP, or keep losing your top talent. After awhile of being in sales, it felt like I wasn't learning anything new, felt stale.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the core values for disciplined freedom, micromanagement got worse and worse. Even after I was tenured. One of the reasons for me leaving.

Sales

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat benefits, Work life balance, tech company, always training on sales and the products. Always innovating in the HR space.
    I have worked in sales positions for different companies before and none have come close to the incentives, training, leadership and support as CareerBuilder does.
    Culture is amazing, happy hours all the time. The sales teams work together wtih the manager to plan events and strategies to discuss with clients.
    Technical support is something you learn as a sales rep. Good and bad you arent just asked to sell and say goodbye to the customer, you are given the opportunity to fully ingrain your services into the companies that need help.

ConsNeed to work hard
    You are not only sales you do have some rolls as a technical advisor. I enjoy this aspect as it brings me closer to my clients and help me builder deeper more meaningful relationships but some would say this is a waste of a sales person time. I disagree

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep heading in the direction you are going and stay private! we have power over the public competition this way.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!