CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated 7 October 2014
3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 16 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Nice people. Great flexibility and care on individual needs. Great benefit with 100% remote option. Attendance does not affect performance.

Cons

Senior leadership lacking visions. Teams lacking corporation and coordination. Deliberately ignoring LinkedIn in all aspects.

Don't take anything for granted.

Overall good place to work

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Can make an impact at any level
    Innovation
    Work-life balance

Cons

Compensation for operational positions is not great

Great Company to Decide Your Interests

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of lateral freedom, friendly management and coworkers, great benefits, fun workplace

Cons

Lower than average pay, somewhat limited vision

Great place to start work

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

I think its a laid back place with low stress and really nice people. The work environment is probably one of the best places I've ever worked in by far. People just tend to be nicer and respectful. They really seem to appreciate candidness

Cons

It seems like metrics aren't taken into account. Unless you are vying for your manager's attention you will probably get lost in the crowd. A lot of complaints about Favoritism have been made.

Better Metrics, promoting people based off of what they bring to the table and not how much you like them personally.

Great Place To Start Career!

I worked at CareerBuilder (more than an year)

Pros

My Experience at CareerBuilder was a pleasant one, which allowed for growth and development with company support. The Trips are amazing!

Cons

Young culture... Often leads to being treated like a child.

One of the least stable jobs I've had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I felt I was well paid here, for the work I was doing. There was occasionally some free food, lying around.

Cons

I worked here as a contractor. Me and my coworkers for the most part all worked roughly 40 hours a week. In all modesty I don't think I've ever been so good at a job, while at the same time being so scared I could be fired. I eventually quit, because they were one by one, letting my coworkers go with a weeks notice. Very typical corporate indifference to the well being of it's employees.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. Particularly great place to work if you are starting a career.

Cons

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. However, know that once you have a great year in commissions, be prepared to move on unless you have an opportunity to take over an office. If you do not, and you do not know an AVP or higher....start planning your next career move. Until then, have fun and work for a spot on the company trip.

This company epitomizes the statement: it is all about who you know.

Great growth, culture and learning potential (Awful pay)

Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great team collaboration and culture.
    - Excellent number of opportunities to innovate (hackathon, Ideas from everywhere, casual conversations)
    - Most managers trust, believe-in, and empower their direct reports.
    - Access to internal positions and promotions is better here than at other companies I have worked for.
    - People are easy to do business with and really strive to help each other succeed.
    - Work-life balance is excellent, usually can work from home one day a week.

Cons

- Constant reorganization, for seemingly flippant reasons, when things are just beginning to flow smoothly (once every 3-6 months).
    - Everyone is underpaid compared to market value by $20,000-$30,000 (most employees know this because we have a big data product line that aggregates salary information)--would have given a "Satisfied" rating if it weren't for this.
    - Due to underpayment, CareerBuilder has a hard time keeping it's most experienced and talented Software Developers or hiring already experienced software developers.

- Give everyone massive raises (bring them up to the %25th-%50th percentile for average salary range.
    - Get rid of the ridiculous %10 raise or promotion cap, especially in light of how low your pay is compared to the rest of the industry. (Would have given a 4 or 5 star rating except for this).
    - Invest more time in getting middle management to adopt Agile and Lean values. (In fairness, they've been working on this)
    - Send people to certification classes more often rather than at a sickly rate.
    - Encourage innovation by giving functional groups independence to work like their own start up in terms of policy, pay, methodology, etc.
    - Remember that wage increases don't add a net positive gain to the workplace, it just alleviates what negativity it caused.

Great place to work and very fun environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, and opportunities to meet other team members and collaborate on projects

Cons

Very sales driven company which can sometimes be stressful. I was on a new team that formed so at times the expectations were unrealistic.

Develop employees to manage teams

The sky's the limit

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CB really is a great company to work for. It's great for those just breaking their teeth as well as experienced executives. They will always recognize hard work and reward and promote accordingly! If you're in sales and performing, you can write your own ticket.

Cons

I honestly have to stretch to think of cons for CB. Yes, I've read other reviews about Micro - Managers, but it IS a sales organization first and foremost. The only con that I can think of is I have seen top performers, who have truly done above and beyond work, not get total support when needed. CB tends to be the type of place that so long as you're "problem - free" and hitting you numbers then all is well. Again, I'm stretching to find cons...

Keep listening to the employees, the "Ideas from Everywhere" competition is awesome! The Wrigley Field event was always my favorite thing (other than trip) and keep killing it at Kickoff, it provides a great "refresher"