CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 16 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work-life balance, rewarding job, solid benefits, awesome awards trips...CB really invests in their employees

Cons

Salary and sometimes mixed messages about company direction from leadership.

Company life

Current Employee - Software Engineer I
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

This is a really great company with a lot of advantages. The benefits are incredible. it was elected one of the best company to work for

Cons

Challenges is connecting with people is not always easy. there is a real separation depending what is your job title

For promotion, you should go to the employe to give a promotion before the employee starts thinking about leaving

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Nice people. Great flexibility and care on individual needs. Great benefit with 100% remote option. Attendance does not affect performance.

Cons

Senior leadership lacking visions. Teams lacking corporation and coordination. Deliberately ignoring LinkedIn in all aspects.

Don't take anything for granted.

Overall good place to work

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Can make an impact at any level
    Innovation
    Work-life balance

Cons

Compensation for operational positions is not great

Great place to start, they'll get you a lot of experience but you need to know when to move on if you're not in sales

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, amazing tuition reimbursement program! Lot's of opportunity for training and learning new skills but not necessarily a ton of room for advancement if you aren't in sales. However, they do provide some great opportunities to move roles within the company. Just not necessarily up. They are also great at the day being done at 5 - there is no extreme expectation to work long hours. But if you have things to get done, do them!

Cons

Very low pay if you're not in sales, room to move around but it's hard to move up. They also work really hard to pump people up and get them excited - but very little change actually occurs.

Better compensation and less lip-service

Great place to start work

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

I think its a laid back place with low stress and really nice people. The work environment is probably one of the best places I've ever worked in by far. People just tend to be nicer and respectful. They really seem to appreciate candidness

Cons

It seems like metrics aren't taken into account. Unless you are vying for your manager's attention you will probably get lost in the crowd. A lot of complaints about Favoritism have been made.

Better Metrics, promoting people based off of what they bring to the table and not how much you like them personally.

Great Company to Decide Your Interests

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of lateral freedom, friendly management and coworkers, great benefits, fun workplace

Cons

Lower than average pay, somewhat limited vision

One of the least stable jobs I've had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I felt I was well paid here, for the work I was doing. There was occasionally some free food, lying around.

Cons

I worked here as a contractor. Me and my coworkers for the most part all worked roughly 40 hours a week. In all modesty I don't think I've ever been so good at a job, while at the same time being so scared I could be fired. I eventually quit, because they were one by one, letting my coworkers go with a weeks notice. Very typical corporate indifference to the well being of it's employees.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. Particularly great place to work if you are starting a career.

Cons

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. However, know that once you have a great year in commissions, be prepared to move on unless you have an opportunity to take over an office. If you do not, and you do not know an AVP or higher....start planning your next career move. Until then, have fun and work for a spot on the company trip.

This company epitomizes the statement: it is all about who you know.

Great growth, culture and learning potential (Awful pay)

Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great team collaboration and culture.
    - Excellent number of opportunities to innovate (hackathon, Ideas from everywhere, casual conversations)
    - Most managers trust, believe-in, and empower their direct reports.
    - Access to internal positions and promotions is better here than at other companies I have worked for.
    - People are easy to do business with and really strive to help each other succeed.
    - Work-life balance is excellent, usually can work from home one day a week.

Cons

- Constant reorganization, for seemingly flippant reasons, when things are just beginning to flow smoothly (once every 3-6 months).
    - Everyone is underpaid compared to market value by $20,000-$30,000 (most employees know this because we have a big data product line that aggregates salary information)--would have given a "Satisfied" rating if it weren't for this.
    - Due to underpayment, CareerBuilder has a hard time keeping it's most experienced and talented Software Developers or hiring already experienced software developers.

- Give everyone massive raises (bring them up to the %25th-%50th percentile for average salary range.
    - Get rid of the ridiculous %10 raise or promotion cap, especially in light of how low your pay is compared to the rest of the industry. (Would have given a 4 or 5 star rating except for this).
    - Invest more time in getting middle management to adopt Agile and Lean values. (In fairness, they've been working on this)
    - Send people to certification classes more often rather than at a sickly rate.
    - Encourage innovation by giving functional groups independence to work like their own start up in terms of policy, pay, methodology, etc.
    - Remember that wage increases don't add a net positive gain to the workplace, it just alleviates what negativity it caused.