CareerBuilder

Updated 13 August 2014

3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Teaches you how to sell
    Awesome culture, fun atmosphere
    Great resume builder
    Promote from within
    Unbelievable President's Club trip

Cons

Very focused on activity (how many outbound dials made per day)
    Success there is very much in the hands of your leader (and what book of business you get)
    Managers move around a lot
    "Churn and burn" mentality. Doesn't matter how long you've been there or how well you have done when you have a bad month - little loyalty

The sky's the limit

Former Employee - Major Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

CB really is a great company to work for. It's great for those just breaking their teeth as well as experienced executives. They will always recognize hard work and reward and promote accordingly! If you're in sales and performing, you can write your own ticket.

Cons

I honestly have to stretch to think of cons for CB. Yes, I've read other reviews about Micro - Managers, but it IS a sales organization first and foremost. The only con that I can think of is I have seen top performers, who have truly done above and beyond work, not get total support when needed. CB tends to be the type of place that so long as you're "problem - free" and hitting you numbers then all is well. Again, I'm stretching to find cons...

Keep listening to the employees, the "Ideas from Everywhere" competition is awesome! The Wrigley Field event was always my favorite thing (other than trip) and keep killing it at Kickoff, it provides a great "refresher"

Overall the company has a great vision and understand what the indutry dictates

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

It's turned into true software sales and they are starting to changes everythign to support that

Cons

A little slow in transitioning comp to a SaaS company.

Get the operations side functioning more effectively.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, mind numbing job

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Company culture is young and fun, they're generous on the giveaways (ipads and amazon cash), my immediate co-workers were great

Cons

this is true of any sales job - constant worry about hitting sales quota and cold calling the occasional jerk

Great people moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA (US)

Pros

Freedom to pick the tools and languages most appropriate to your problems. Lots of great learning opportunities. Relaxed work environrment. Leadership really listens to employees at all levels and makes an effort to improve. Quarterly bonuses are nice. 1/2 day fridays during July and August, and a pretty good PTO policy

Cons

Pay is low compared to the tech sector in Atlanta, and they lose lots of experienced engineers to to bigger salaries somewhere local. Not much effort made to hold onto experienced engineers can make it hard to build reliable scalable softare.

Figure out how to hold onto experienced engineers, a software company can't run on software only built by people fresh out of school

Prepared me for future success

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Fun, young environment. Good opportunity for someone looking to gain experience. Extensive training and great tools to work with. Health plan was top notch.

Cons

Cold-calling is difficult. Number of calls and call time quotas were sometimes difficult to hit due to lack of legitimate leads. Sales quota was difficult as well due to area.

Great for making $$ quickly. Terrible day to day company culture.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Great training, and money making opportunities. It was my first sales job and I wasn't sure what to expect. They trained me very well and I had opportunity to attend some great trips and team building activities and was able to make a substantial amount of money my first year.

Cons

Management styles create a tough atmosphere of micromanagement with no sense of what the actual viable sales opportunities exist. I was well over my quota but I wasn't making the dials that they wanted me to. Meanwhile activity faking is rampant within the company justifying their very high standards of work. I understand why they work that way, but that doesn't make it a good company to work for. Most people I know don't last a year in this job. Or they are very dumb and don't know better.

Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Company culture, group dynamic, good training program

Cons

Hard to hit monthly quotas

Additional leads

While employee "happiness" varies widely based on department, manager and location, there is still good at CB

Pros

What's good? The benefits are very generous, similar to other dot com/IT companies. The culture is still good overall (it used to be awesome!) Culture varies widely based on who you report to and what department you are in, so the folks in Sales have it a bit tougher because they have a lot of demands, and sales is more "traditional corporate" whereas IT and other support functions are more "hippie" and casual. So whether it's a plus or not depends upon your perspective and what you like. CB has a long history of caring about employees, even during the 2009 lay offs everyone (who wasn't let go) came together as a team and really pulled through - leaders care about employee well being, I can't stress this enough. The company also really encourages creativity and idea generation, with lots of opportunities to be rewarded for new ideas. If you have ideas how to improve products or come up with new ideas for revenue generation, there are no limits to your opportunities to share ideas (and be rewarded for sharing). Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork. Not to say that long hours never happen, but there is definitely a work/life balance.

Cons

I worked with CB almost from inception so I was there during the heyday when things were amazing and it was like a family, then during the recession of 2009 during the horrible layoffs, and until recently, so I've seen it all. First I have to say that the culture has changed dramatically over time, not for the better. It was sort of a family at the beginning and everyone helped each other. That has since shifted to now being political and "looking good" is more important than being honest (candor is ironically one of the company core values). There are lots of reasons why this has happened, but suffice it to say that the company has reached the bureaucratic, maturity stage in its lifecycle in my opinion. The result is that employees feel self-conscious and feel like the environment is unstable, in a way that never used to be. Also, new product development needed!!! I don't want to sound like a total complainer so I will end with this.

Need new product development and probably some new blood in senior leadership (director level and up in both Chicago and Norcross). There are obviously some talented leaders but the current mix is not right in my opinion, which has resulted in a cultural shift toward unnecessary bureaucracy, being political and slow product development.

Great Culture and many learning opportunities

Current Employee - Software Engineer I  in  Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA (US)

Pros

Started working a little less than a year ago right out of college. Very laid back culture. Upper management doesn't put any stress on employees and really value our input on decisions.
    Upper management also really encourages learning. Whether it be practical things used in the work place or taking classes at nearby university.

Cons

Although the living costs of living in Georgia are much lower than other cities with a lot of technology, (SF, NY, CHI). The pay still seems to be less aggressive than other technology companies.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!