Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Could be a great company

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

ConsManagement has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

Great international company

Grain Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Proshuge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Conssome locations not very glamorous

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

Good Employer

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN (US)

ProsGood ethical company, volunteer opportunities, global experience

ConsIT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive. As a result, all IT infrastructure is being eliminated and they will be using managed services.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould have been nice to have had more opportunities for internal training to be considered for other internal opportunities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsVery relaxed and undemanding compared to large multinationals.
    Lots of diversity in product range offer good opportunities for. Broad experience.

ConsComplacent culture
    Senior management is a closed boys club
    Bureaucracy is everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Minneapolis.

Silent company, big player in food business

Proshigh safety concern, good principles/ethics, good source for learning

Conslong decision process, concervative, need more work flexibility

Outsourcing their Global IT infrastructure

Network Analyst (Current Employee) Bucharest (Romania)

Prosgreat team mates
    they invest in their people

Conslaying off the IT employees favoring tata consultancy service

Advice to Senior Managementthe decision to outsource IT will bite back in the near future

Project manager

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsHigh skilled company
    Opportunity to be in touch with all the world

ConsProcess are most important than people
    IT leadership is weak
    There are a internal war among Business áreas and IT

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are most important than process
    Hire better

Labor heavy job involving dirt and fecal matter

Farm Supervisor (Former Employee) Harrisonburg, VA (US)

ProsOutside work. Able to take in nature and fresh air

ConsNot a lot of personal time. 12 hour days and no weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are more important than your product. Though your profit benefits due to increased production, your employees safety and moral suffer .

Good colleagues - bad working conditions.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBig company which is nice to have on your CV. Good place to learn about commodity trading. Very decentralized structure which gives a lot of freedom to come up with new ideas.

ConsNot an "intelligent organisation" mainly dealing with high risk low margin buiss. Destructive competition between BU's. Huge workload and below avarage salary. Too many managers too few workers. heavy organisation and lagging buisness procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour change management process is making your valueable competent employees leave the company - leaving you with only the incompetent ones who knows they will never land a job anywhere else.

Good company just not great for IT

Senior IT Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN (US)

ProsGood work life balance. Very large company with many opportunities if you know the right people.

ConsLittle to no investment into IT as the company states it is not their core competency.

Advice to Senior ManagementRely more on your staff to help guide your decisions, it appears that 5% of the knowledge base is making 99% of the decisions.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!