Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 27 reviews)

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayzata, MN (US)

Pros- Focus on community giving
    - Opportunity to work on global projects
    - Hard working people that really care about customers and doing the right thing

Cons- Lack of accountability of poor performers, especially at the leadership level
    - Little respect for mid-career talent
    - Too many decisions being made with the bottom line in mind; no regard for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying employees at the lowest percentile. Hold your leaders and their supervisors accountable. A BU functional leader should not have an engagement score below 45% with more than 100% turnover and still be in their position a year later. Would not recommend for certain functions (i.e., communications, marketing, HR).

International Transportation Planner

International Trade Associate (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsGood community partner. they do excellent work for charity

ConsBad management. Too top heavy and they have poor communication internally. EVERYTHING is need to know and they never think you need to know

Advice to Senior Managementtake the time to talk to your people. try and understand life beyond your closed door meetings

Incompetent Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsVery relaxed and undemanding compared to large multinationals.
    Lots of diversity in product range offer good opportunities for. Broad experience.

ConsComplacent culture
    Senior management is a closed boys club
    Bureaucracy is everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Minneapolis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Silent company, big player in food business

Proshigh safety concern, good principles/ethics, good source for learning

Conslong decision process, concervative, need more work flexibility

Outsourcing their Global IT infrastructure

Network Analyst (Current Employee) Bucharest (Romania)

Prosgreat team mates
    they invest in their people

Conslaying off the IT employees favoring tata consultancy service

Advice to Senior Managementthe decision to outsource IT will bite back in the near future

Project manager

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsHigh skilled company
    Opportunity to be in touch with all the world

ConsProcess are most important than people
    IT leadership is weak
    There are a internal war among Business áreas and IT

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are most important than process
    Hire better

Labor heavy job involving dirt and fecal matter

Farm Supervisor (Former Employee) Harrisonburg, VA (US)

ProsOutside work. Able to take in nature and fresh air

ConsNot a lot of personal time. 12 hour days and no weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are more important than your product. Though your profit benefits due to increased production, your employees safety and moral suffer .

Good company just not great for IT

Senior IT Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN (US)

ProsGood work life balance. Very large company with many opportunities if you know the right people.

ConsLittle to no investment into IT as the company states it is not their core competency.

Advice to Senior ManagementRely more on your staff to help guide your decisions, it appears that 5% of the knowledge base is making 99% of the decisions.

Good colleagues - bad working conditions.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBig company which is nice to have on your CV. Good place to learn about commodity trading. Very decentralized structure which gives a lot of freedom to come up with new ideas.

ConsNot an "intelligent organisation" mainly dealing with high risk low margin buiss. Destructive competition between BU's. Huge workload and below avarage salary. Too many managers too few workers. heavy organisation and lagging buisness procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour change management process is making your valueable competent employees leave the company - leaving you with only the incompetent ones who knows they will never land a job anywhere else.

Cargill in recent years

ProsEncouraged work life balance. Have strong HR practices.
    Diverse business model.

ConsRecent change of senior leadership created a lot of stir and concerns. A lot of outsourcing activities caused concerns for employees. Constant org restructuring. Growing in revenues but not in profit......is something fundamentally wrong?

Advice to Senior ManagementThink hard before launching on change initiatives. There are in fighting among the business units but political issues led to sub optimization. Are you aware?

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!